carved glide bait

Rate this topic

Vaporizor

jig man that would be nice for sure. we have some stripers in the lakes here but one over 10 lbs is rare. duke energy does a horrible job of managing the waters and they have oxygen issues every summer. being over 4 hrs from the ocean makes it tuff here in the carolinas to run to the beach to get some time in. the next visit to Massganistan is scheduled for second week september visiting family for a few days. Jig man if ya would like one of these i can send you a unpainted blank weighted as you like just pm me your info  and ill get one shipped out for free, this also goes the same for you jimmy and seaweed

Edited by Vaporizor

On 8/6/2018 at 3:53 PM, JimmyJam said:

Yea, I'm just wondering if it's worth it to go ALL in with the carving, since it's the master. I think i will. 

Hopefully I can just use less lead than I did before. This puppy was 3.5 after epoxy. 

lead.jpg

I like heavy baits for a specific area I fish with lots of current so anything  around 5 oz is good to go in my world

9 hours ago, OnTheFish said:

I just got my carving knife in the mail today I have got to get in on this. Just curious why is one part of the mold pink and the other white?

ran outta mold max 30 , had to buy local and it was all i could find and it was a different brand

Depending on the size of the lure that you are trying to do. I used 700 grams of silicone per side, granted I made mine a little large and probably could have used less materials but I didn’t want to leave anything to chance . The mold dimensions are 10 1/2 x 5 x 1 3/4 total thickness. Also the mold max 30 trial is 910 grams of materials. Hope that helps 

Those look very nice! How is the action on them? I have some alumilite white sitting around and I'd love to give it a try if they are working well for you.

I've played around with the alumilite white a decent amount but never for gliders. Jig Man already mentioned it but I've also found it to be true in my application. The white even with micro balloons is still pretty dense and using a lighter material with more lead weight usually gives better action (jointed swimbaits in my case). I started using the 610 alumifoam and found it to be similar in boyancy to ayc. 

3 hours ago, BRossi said:

Those look very nice! How is the action on them? I have some alumilite white sitting around and I'd love to give it a try if they are working well for you.

I've played around with the alumilite white a decent amount but never for gliders. Jig Man already mentioned it but I've also found it to be true in my application. The white even with micro balloons is still pretty dense and using a lighter material with more lead weight usually gives better action (jointed swimbaits in my case). I started using the 610 alumifoam and found it to be similar in boyancy to ayc. 

Yeah it’s going a little tough, but making headway. The action , well on the first batch it seems to be at a slow retrieve it gets just under the surface with a wide wobble and looks great. I learned a lot about weight placement for sure, saying that this first batch doesn’t glide so well but is a nice slow retrieve bait. Hopefully this next go is better. Pouring a few tonight hope testing tomorrow goes well

Edited by Vaporizor

4 hours ago, Vaporizor said:

Yeah it’s going a little tough, but making headway. The action , well on the first batch it seems to be at a slow retrieve it gets just under the surface with a wide wobble and looks great. I learned a lot about weight placement for sure, saying that this first batch doesn’t glide so well but is a nice slow retrieve bait. Hopefully this next go is better. Pouring a few tonight hope testing tomorrow goes well

Awesome! Sounds like you're having fun and enjoying the process. Thanks for the info, maybe I'll have to give it a go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...