Vaporizor

carved glide bait

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

steeped away from the lathe for a sec to try carving......has anyone here had any success with this ? i have ideas about weighting and im attempting a sea herring pattern. any input would be great,and it is a full through wire design

20180718_135749.jpg

20180718_135653.jpg

20180718_135620.jpg

20180718_094827.jpg

Edited by Vaporizor
Additional information

2 hours ago, rrocco said:

Looks great! What type of wood are you using?

Poplar, it’s pretty easy to carve. My first attempt! Here is a comparison with a sebile stick shad . Definitely going a little smaller next . Glue 2 pcs of 3/4 together lightly at first to do most carving then separated the 2 

image.jpg

Edited by Vaporizor
Picture

Really shaping up nicely. Like how you started out with two pieces instead of trying to spit it at some later point. Seems like you're nearing the point where you'd place you weights. I've never made a glider or used polar so can't give you any good advise on weight placement, though recall seeing other posts on this. I recently tried hand carved for the first time as well. Has a similar profile to yours but its has a lip and is a diver made from maple. I had a lot of fun making it and am very pleased with how it swims.

I appreciate all the kind words and do welcome the advice, it is a little heavy now before weight so see how this goes. I made 3 blanks . So I figured that I’d do a floating , neutral, and a sinking. My Achilles here is I am not a painter and do not own a airbrush 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Vaporizor
Adding content

3 hours ago, lonellr said:

Wow! Beautiful work! Would love to see the progression.

Thank you,I appreciate that.I have 2 more blanks to do I’ll take some more pics . There are 2 real good carving guys on you tube, both are excellent at what they do. Marling baits , Solar baits is the other , this is my first go at it said why not. 

Edited by Vaporizor
Adding more

Airbrush is just fancy-schmancy crap for those of us that enjoy using one, fish don't care.

Solid White

Solid Black

Solid Yellow

Using rubberbands to hold weights in place is a great way to tank test the plugs to see how much weight you need, and to see how they sink/suspend/float.

Looks great so far. I agree with Ed. Ive airbrushed for years. Moved back to rattle cans with much simpler patterns, like plain white, maybe a touch of color on the head. I’ve found with sliders weighting them towards the nose and tail, slightly tail down, slow sinking gives a nice S swim on a slow retrieve. Not the only option but what has worked for me.

3 hours ago, BNickW said:

Looks great so far. I agree with Ed. Ive airbrushed for years. Moved back to rattle cans with much simpler patterns, like plain white, maybe a touch of color on the head. I’ve found with sliders weighting them towards the nose and tail, slightly tail down, slow sinking gives a nice S swim on a slow retrieve. Not the only option but what has worked for me.

thanks nick, nice to hear your results. ill weight the next (blank 2)as you described.  the first one i weighted very similar to pencil popper tail heavy. i wanted one to at be able to punch through the wind and be able to get some distance.

Wow, this is awesome. Great work! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

21 hours ago, Ed White said:

Using rubberbands to hold weights in place is a great way to tank test the plugs to see how much weight you need, and to see how they sink/suspend/float.

Would you do this before/after sealing? Before drilling holes for the weights to see how much you need in relation to the shape of the plug and wood species or after drilling to how it floats/sinks more accurately?