CLB

summer striper strategies?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I’m back from a western road trip and hoping to get back after some stripers. Looking for some advice as the weather at least has clearly progressed from late spring into mid-summer mode since I was last out there.

If I understand things Mass. is somewhat an intermediate point on the migration route and the spring northerly migration tails off during the summer months. Are we “post-migration” at this point - some of the Massachusetts reports make it seem like not really and fish are still moving through. Maybe everything delayed a bit from normal by the cool spring/late start?

If fish are still generally around do they still exhibit more or less same behavior around estuaries - tidal/current based following of bait into/out of river? Or does the hotter weather, and presumably eventually warmer water, change that? I can imagine the food source changes over the season, but do the bass stop coming in after it? Seems unlikely but possible.

Am I better served to move my focus to frontside and start learning that environment?

Obviously the finer points will be highly location specific and I look forward to continuing to learn the nuances of my chosen spot for this season, but I just don’t want to be out there pointlessly flailing the water - I’d rather be flailing it with good rationale!

Thanks for any thoughts/advice.

CLB

Where ever stripers were caught  or will be caught, whether it be Virginia, jersey or mass, you can catch stripers months before or well after the reports have ended. Every season. Pee warm water or near freezing. They are there and they must eat. Having said that, fishing either end of the extremes is going to be a night jam. A9A0BB06-77D4-43B3-A97A-1BEE75B617AC.jpeg.034a088b3a6bf7213a628b944d97f9ba.jpeg

Do stripers typically feed on top of the water at night? or does it depend on night/tide, etc....Just trying to figure whether to go with floating or sinking line set up. Thanks

6 hours ago, patchyfog said:

Fish at night. If you have a boat, night isn't nearly as important. 

When the water is 74 plus are you typically fishing closures on sinking/intermediate lines? The concept of fly fishing in 30' plus waters blows the mind.

It all depends on where youre fishing. I just stick with intermediate. I’d rsther be able to get down if they aren’t feeding on top. Topwater at night happens but you’d have more success if the pattern was just below the surface I think in terms of getting more strikes. Research the bait in the body of water you’re going to and google fly fishing “mackerel” patterns for example.  

Got it............If they're just below the surface I could use floating line with say 5-9ft leader, right?

would I be correct to assume some intermediate lines sink quicker than others? thanks

Summer pattern stuff. The fish will be around MA all summer. Fish an hour before and after sunrise and sunset, and at night. Estuary water might get too warm, fish deep holes or inlets or ocean beaches where there’s cooler water. Find the bait and you will find the bass. For ocean surf fishing learn to read the beach, identify troughs, cuts in the sandbar, rip currents etc where the fish will be ambushing bait caught in the currents. Search “reading the beach” on YouTube and watch some videos.

I'm in CT...........so either the big fish have moved out or I have colocate the ones around that are in the reefs. Trying to figure out a best way to reach the ones that are 30-50 ft of water in the LI Sound

Depends on the location but high incoming water in the dark was always my summer pattern 

my favorite nights are low wind and dragging a slider across the surface 

but nights like that you really need bug spray 

I fish the estuaries of northern MA and there are schoolies there all summer long.  We have a little cabin on the salt marsh; I try to fish each incoming and outgoing tide.  I can usually pick up a fish or two, even in the middle of the day.  At night I switch to black gurglers, listen intently, and whiff the strip set.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I can’t make sunrise/sunset or night happen for a bit, but with the confidence that there are fish out there, I did sneak out for a couple hours today during the midday tide change. 

Brought a couple schoolies to hand and hooked up with one that felt bigger - bigger enough that I had delusions of grandeur and put it on the reel instead of my usual stripping in...and promptly lost it! In reality it was probably just in the current that was ripping pretty good by then, but I’ll pretend otherwise.

Lost a couple flies to beach boulders on the back cast - still getting used to the timing of keeping more line in the air, but probably didn’t help that I was trying to cross-body double haul because of the persistent breeze from the right side - ha! Also need to get a stripping basket - trying to shoot stripped line out that is sunk at my feet takes too much extra casting.

Anyway, it sure beat sitting at my desk!

If this is "old hat" for this forum, so please excuse the noob... but no one/nothing has ever taught me more than Lou Tabory's Inshore Fly Fishing

He writes of midsummer stripers and recommends night and first light, search for water below 74 degF.