DE Beachguy

DelMarVa custom rod thread

Rate this topic

1,372 posts in this topic

View PostJust finished a 1502 mudhole for someone and casted it yesterday. Iam not sure how they can rate this thing up to 16oz'sheadscratch.gif . Seemed very loose at the tip. Have another one to build and may trim a little off the tip.

I thought I have casted one before but do not remember being so loose...either it wasn't a 1502 or it was shaved at the tip...still like the casting characteristics but in no way will it cast the weight it says it will...8 and a chunk seemed good for the rod...probably will cast 10 and a chunk or a head ok...anything beyond that, IMO, may be just to much for the rod. Maybe I just like a stiffer rod.

Yeah....the mudhole 1502 is better with about 4 inches off the tip....and then it a great 8nbait heaver but not really strong enough for much more than that.

The RS1502 is even softer...it is also a very nice rod, though.

View PostWell, here it is... my first rod build. Not pretty, but certainly functional. Learned quite a bit and already planning changes for the next one...

Boy it's hard to frame a photo of a surf rod...

Attachment 233208

The tip is resting on the table and slightly flexing the rod. The guides and tip aren't perfect, but I'm not complaining.

Attachment 233209

Gray underwrap and black over. Flex Coat high build finish.

Attachment 233210

The specs are - 13'4" Allstar 1508, 4-10oz, blank was purchased from Fish Bucket. Thanks Kurt! Perma Gloss finish over the tip section, Fuji Alconites, 8 + tip. Cast a 5oz lacrosse ball 113 yds today. The rod loads easily and along the entire length. Reminds me of my HDX. Just about perfect for my granpa style of casting. wink.gif Can hardly wait to get it wet...

Looks real nice GB...

1508 allstar is sweet!

View PostYeah....the mudhole 1502 is better with about 4 inches off the tip....and then it a great 8nbait heaver but not really strong enough for much more than that.

Exactly. Built just one MH1502 & cut the tip until a #10 fits snugly. With the RS1502 I cut the tip until a #11 fits snugly. That said, imo both of these sticks are good for 8 and a head. If I need more than 8 I'm lookin' for something a bit stouter. I surely do like these 1502s. Methinks either 1502 coupled with a 6500CT is about perfect for an old geezer like Erik...or me biggrin.gif.

Gobow that is Some very clean looking work you have there!

Possum, I agree with the split-cane idea. My grandfather had a 6 sided surf rod like that, which was referred to as such. He fished it with a longbeach.

View PostYeah....the mudhole 1502 is better with about 4 inches off the tip....and then it a great 8nbait heaver but not really strong enough for much more than that.

Thanks erik...I am ordering one and will do that...thanks

Here are two of my recent builds. The first is a mudhole 1502 that my pops gave me as a gift. I was planning on a more complicated cross wrap but I just really liked the simplicity for some reason.

The second is a Lami SB 160-4M 2 that I got the BST for a low price. This thing is a beast. I haven't had the opportunity to cast it yet but I'm itchin to try. It'll be paired with a squidder. This is my first attempt at a tiger wrap and I'm pleased with the way it turned out.

For anyone interested and for those that didn't read the directions (like me)...don't use medical grade syringes to dispense your flex coat. The silicon really makes a mess.

Jc, those are sweet. I'm gonna wanna test drive that 1502 soon, might be sending ya a box of parts this summer..

Anyone seen cork foregrips on a heaver? I noticed a few on the beach recently, and really liked it. I'm thinking of getting my OMCP done this summer, and wanna make that part of the overhaul. I guess you buy the foregrip and bore out the center to fit the heaver blank ID? I can only find .5" ID foregrips.

the foam grips (Eva/Hypalon) stretches quite a bit to fit the diameter of the blank.

You can buy surf grips which come a little larger than the .5"

View PostJc, those are sweet. I'm gonna wanna test drive that 1502 soon, might be sending ya a box of parts this summer..

Anyone seen cork foregrips on a heaver? I noticed a few on the beach recently, and really liked it. I'm thinking of getting my OMCP done this summer, and wanna make that part of the overhaul. I guess you buy the foregrip and bore out the center to fit the heaver blank ID? I can only find .5" ID foregrips.

No problem, the offer still stands. I can fix up the cape point pretty quick for ya as well if you'd like me to. You could drop it off on...say...a wednesday naughty.gif

I haven't seen cork that would work, but I haven't looked either...

I'm not sure I'd want to bore out from 0.5", thats a lot to take out to fit on a cape point.