DE Beachguy

DelMarVa custom rod thread

Rate this topic

1,372 posts in this topic

Just placed my first order to Mudhole last night. I have a Lami 1502 to try my hand at this summer. Going to use CMNAG Alconites 30, 25, 20, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16 and a 16 tip. I like a rod with lots of guides... redface.gif

Kudos to all that have the skill and patience's to build your own rods...

I have tried and lets just say its better for someone else who knows what they are doing to build me a custom stick...

I have 3 custom Lamiglas 1502's...2 full length at 12'-6" and one trimmed at 12'-3"... I just measured the tip size on one of the full lengths...its a number 10 (10/64")...

After some research I find that the Mud Hole 1502 and the Lamiglas 1502 are not the same even though Lamiglas is listed as the manufacturer of the Mud Hole 1502...

The Lamiglas 1502 is made of G1000 graphite which I believe is a proprietary design to Lamiglas... The Mud Hole 1502 is made of IM6 graphite which is a grade of Magnamite, a graphite product of Hercules, Inc. So I am reading this as Lamiglas is buying the IM6 graphite material and making a special run of "1502" blanks for Mud Hole...

Also the Mud Hole 1502 has a 1" diameter butt while Lamiglas 1502 is 1.085"...and the 2 blank weights are different...Lamiglas' 1502 is 12 7/8 oz and the Mud Hole 1502 is 11 oz...IMO the weight is a significant difference...

Bottom line...the Mud Hole 1502 is not the same as the Lamiglas 1502...maybe they both have the same fishing rod characteristics, but physically speaking they are 2 different blanks from what I can see...

Poppy

When I purchased my MH1502 several years ago, the specs for the mudhole and the Lami were identical. I called Mudhole and asked them about the blanks being the same and the guy I spoke with laughed and said "There's a very, very good reason why they're the same!", which of course led me to believe that they were, if fact, the same blank. Steve Z's experience with Lami numbers on his Mudhole blank also leads me to believe that they are (or were) the same blank.

But now the catalog is showing slightly different specs....don't know what that's all about. What I do know is that my MH1502 is a joy to fish with! It's light in the hand, loads easily and handles 8 or 10Nbait with ease. And, considering that I don't like to have "one" of anything, there's another MH1502 in my future!smile.gif

For Jay or anyone else looking to build their first custom rod. Custom rod building is like a lot of things in life including fishing, understanding and performing the basics can be done in short order but learning the nuances and perfecting the artform can probably take many years. Buiding a solid basic rod that you can fish and be proud of can be done on your first try if you take your time and and do your research and planning ahead of time.

Good luck

It wouldn't surprise me if when mh is outta LSB1502s they grab a GSB and put a sticker on it and sell it as their own blank. I dunno. But I agree that the mh 1502 is an absolute joy to fish.

As are the RS1502s. But they are definitely different than the mh1502. Not quite as stout and a bit faster imo. I have one that is a particular pet...it has put a ton of big fish on the beach.

Absolutely agree with what Springer said.

Now I wonder about the new RS blanks...

Jay cool thread! I'll need to check out that squidder.

When I contacted the MH people they told me the blanks were not blems but were special order lami blanks. No, they are not the same as the Lami 1502, but I still love the way they feel with 8 and a chunk. They get a little mushy with 8 and a head (I agree with Chark here). I bought and built a few because I have some OMs I can go to if the conditions don't allow me to fish the MH1502s...

So, as for techniques I've done a few cross-wraps and I plan to do a tiger wrap on my next build...which I'm thinking may be a Loomis 1448. I'm also really excited to do some marbling on a rod. Poppy, since you fish one of these 1448s can you comment on the lure rating for this rod? Mudhole lists it at 6-14OZ. Is that accurate?

View Post I'd start a separate thread for it in our forum. It's by no means exclusive, just meant to separate the topic out from the other threads here.

Jay

Jay, my point wasnt' to take away form this forum, but to let guys know there's a forum which has tons of info in it already here on SOL. Some of the more genral rod building questions that might arise here, might have already been answerred there. Most people only visit certain forums, and might not be aware tehre's a RB forum here on SOL, or just have ignored it.

For those unaware, the guy who used to design Lami's blanks, Todd Vivian - now works for Mudhole. When you call Mudhole and ask them about the blanks - did you ever stop to think teh person on teh phone might only be a customer service rep, and really wouldn't know much about the blanks?

REgarding OEMing blanks - it;s quite common. Lami manufacturesblanks specifically to customers specs all the time, so does almost every other blank Manu. I am currently working with Seeker and they are making me a line of boat rod blanks for Inshore/Offshire fishing to my specs. What I choose to call the blank model number is up to me, so if I wantedto I could call it a 1502 even though it's 6'.

As far as Ranshadow goes, who knows where tehy are gettin it made, andby who. They primarily get blanks made overseas, China, Korea, Malysia, Tiawan - I don't know exactly (Pac Bay, Amtak, & RS get their stuff made in 3 different countries, I forget which is which but this is what the owners of each company have told me...inspite of most of thier stuff beeingreally similar) Rainshadow does have St. Croix making one of thie lines of blanks, teh RX8+ or something like that. It's the old SC V technology, yet it costs more than a current new tech SC V. Smart marketting on their part. They very well might have Lami making blanks to thier specsby Lami, whoknows? I don't thinkthey are too far away from each other in Washington, so it's definitely a possiblity

I just finished a MH 1202 this winter. I noticed that the Lami and MH specs on the blank were the same. MH confirmed by phone that the MH 1202 was a Lami blank. Don't know about the 1502. This was my first time out to build a rod which I undertook as a winter project. It was a lot of fun and I am anxious to try it out.

Too pretty a day outside to not spend some time on my new hobby...

Guides all prepped, laid out, and taped on. Also glued and wrapped the tip on. Using gray for the underwrap and black on top.

Not perfect, but not too bad for a first timer.

Might have it finished by this spring's run.

Hope I don't jinx myself here... Wrapping the tip on went a whole lot nicer than expected. Going to test cast it later this week, then take the guides off and do all the underwraps before next weekend. Hopefully get the guides wrapped on the week after, then apply the finish. wink.gif

hey GB, did you make that poplar and felt jig? I'd like to learn how that works. are you going to spin the rod by hand, and have the thread in a bodkin or something? looks awesome BTW.icon14.gif

View PostGonna be nice Gobow. Is this the Lami?

KOSS, the Lami is the next one. This one is practice.

View Posthey GB, did you make that poplar and felt jig? I'd like to learn how that works. are you going to spin the rod by hand, and have the thread in a bodkin or something? looks awesome BTW.icon14.gif

JC, I got the jig at Old Inlet a year or two ago in anticipation of building a couple rods. Mudhole has a similar one I think. It's simple enough that I'll copy it somewhere down the road and maybe incorporate a few changes... Yep, going to spin everything by hand. At least for now. Only drawback will be when it's time to apply the finish. Will have to rotate the rod every few minutes by hand. At least for the first few hours. Might have to rig a Rube Goldberg drying motor... And yes there is a spindle to hold the thread bobbins and keep a light, even tension on the thread.

And to give credit where it's due, Billy 40 is correct. There is a ton of info in the rod building forum. What little knowledge I have has been gleaned from that forum and doing LOTS of searches...