DE Beachguy

DelMarVa custom rod thread

Rate this topic

1,344 posts in this topic

Since some guys started discussing custom rods on the Fishing Report thread, and since I've started to get interested in the topic myself wink.gif , I thought I'd start a "local" or DelMarVa custom rod thread. Maybe we can exchange ideas for rods that we like to use on DelMarVa, what works well for us here, personal preferences, etc, etc....

So, to start adding to the discussion, I'll mention that I recently test-casted my brand-newly-built Lami 1502.drool.gif I can already tell it's everything it's cracked up to be, as far as I can tell so far, and I admit I am relatively new to custom-rod experience. It is one sweet rod...light and strong, just as Poppy testified.

I had it done with all black wraps with a few subdued gold threads at the ends and middle of each wrap...all SiC...16 tip, 16, 16, 16 or 20, 20, 25, 30 (unless I'm leaving one out)...real nice job. biggrin.gif

Now, I'm curious about maybe doing a Mudhole 1502 for comparison. I have a couple second-hand custom 10' Lamis...one classic yellow telephone pole Hatteras Heaver (and another similar one I have yet to pick up out of state) and one older graphite 120 4-12oz drum rod.

Koss, I like the old school idea of the classic yellow Lami with the Squidder. I was considering getting the 11.5' yellow Lami blank. I can show you the mags I put in my Squidders, too...the Lee Valley cups/magnets set-up.

I think I "get" the custom rod addiction! wink.gif Hope this generates some interest...

Jay

I'd be interested in anyone's opinion on the LAMI 1502 vs Mudhole 1502. I think i recall someone once telling me that the mudhole's are made by lamiglas, just labeled by mudhole.

anyone cast one right after the other?

I've heard that the MHs are Lami blems, and I've heard they aren't...just a bit lighter but with same specs. I really don't know the story there.

Jay

I have heard the same... the lami 1502 and mudhole 1502 are the same with blems but the specs do not add up...I think the tip on the lami is a 12 but mudhole is a 10, according to mudholes web site... If specs are right, definitley not the same. The butt is the same. I ordered 2 mudhole 1502's and did have a chance to cast one. I actually like the feel of the rod and the shipping is very cheap. Right around $25.00.

I'm staving off the urge to build a rod. I need another hobby like a hole in the head.

But it seems you could build a complete MH 1502, for the same money as the Lami blank.

View PostI'm staving off the urge to build a rod. I need another hobby like a hole in the head.

I ended up building one a couple years. Probably have built close to 20 since then. Definitely can be an addiction.

Exciting topic!

When i first started surf-fishing a few years ago, i saw and heard of custom heavers... I was like nah, the factory tica's are fine... why spend so much $ on a dead bait stick headscratch.gifbiggrin.gif.

Well after casting and handleing my first custom, that thought is long gone, at least for my go-to rods now. Those intial factory dead bait sticks are backups. The only factory I am using in full rotation is a Ocean master Cape point (for sharking)

I have not accually wrapped the thread of the custom rods that i have, or are presently being built for this year. I wish I could, but work, family, time, etc are against me right now. I would love to, but a little afraid of messing up an investment at this time. I would need to practiceredface.gif.

I do pick out and purchase all the componets down to the thread, but I take them to a builder locally and in NC to put everything together. I have done the butt section grip, etc, everything that i dont need a wrapper/dryer for.

My first is the MH 1502, which i used last fall and fell in love. In the works are a 1569 and a WRI Fusion. I will post pictures once they are done, and share the thoughs behind the designs.

I got a mh 1502 last year. It had a printed bar code sticker on the butt with the lami p/n (GSB1502MH). It also had a handwritten sticker on the butt with the mh p/n (LSB1502MH). The 2009 mh catalog sez the surf rocket blanks are from lamiglas. The lami site sez the tip on the gsb1502 is a 10...just like the lsb1502. Gotta be the same blank. In any case it makes a wonderful heaver for us old guys biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif.

View PostI got a mh 1502 last year. It had a printed bar code sticker on the butt with the lami p/n (GSB1502MH). It also had a handwritten sticker on the butt with the mh p/n (LSB1502MH). The 2009 mh catalog sez the surf rocket blanks are from lamiglas. The lami site sez the tip on the gsb1502 is a 10...just like the lsb1502. Gotta be the same blank. In any case it makes a wonderful heaver for us old guys biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif.

Steve, mudhole has the wrong spec for the tip...it appears the weight of the blank are the same. Look forward to throwing the lsb when finished.

Billy40,

Yes, we're aware of the rod building forum. I just thought since some of the DelMarVa guys started talking about it that I'd start a separate thread for it in our forum. It's by no means exclusive, just meant to separate the topic out from the other threads here.

Jay

View Postmudhole has the wrong spec for the tip

Funny! The mh 2009 catalog lists the mh blank with a size 10 tip and the lami blank with a size 9. Seems like they can't quite get it together. Anyhow, you'll like the stick I'm sure.