Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drumsfield

Boat recommendation 20' range Chesapeake Bay

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Looking for boat recommendations for a center console boat around 20' with a capacity of up to 10 people, under 2k lbs or 3500lbs with trailer and around $20k used. Something 2010 or newer with few hours. Thanks in advance.

Your options with that weight restriction might be more in the 18' range then 20'.  Id look at Parker, Jones Bros ($$$), Northcoast, Maycraft.  An 18' is not going to get you close to 10 people.  Max capacity on my Parker 1801 is 6 people.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, thebigangrybear said:

Your options with that weight restriction might be more in the 18' range then 20'.  Id look at Parker, Jones Bros ($$$), Northcoast, Maycraft.  An 18' is not going to get you close to 10 people.  Max capacity on my Parker 1801 is 6 people.  

Thanks for the input I'll check them out. Right now I'm looking hard at a Carolina skiff 198 or 208 dlv

Edited by drumsfield

Posted (edited) · Report post

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:33 PM, drumsfield said:

Looking for boat recommendations for a center console boat around 20' with a capacity of up to 10 people, under 2k lbs or 3500lbs with trailer and around $20k used. Something 2010 or newer with few hours. Thanks in advance.

Something has to give on your wish list, IMO. That's like asking for a rod and reel set up to cover fishing sunnies to tuna....

Capacity is not close to achievable, unless you want a club launch. Six and under is a more reasonable number.

Weight is a little light. Assuming it is based on your vehicle?

Don't limit yourself to <8 year old hulls. My Grady White Escape is a 1993 and is in better shape than some that are twenty years newer. (there is an Escape in Barnstable below your price, w/o trailer) I looked at 30+ hulls, four of which I had surveyed and declined, before I found my current boat. (I did not want a project boat...)

Definitely good boats out there in your price range, but have to work on some of the requirements. 

Edited by nightfighter

I've looked around a lot for smaller >8 passenger boats.  Where I boat, it's often just a ride to/from the sandbar, so if it's crowded on the boat that's fine.

In the 21' range I've found very few boats (outside of flat bottoms or pontoons) where they bump the passenger rating up to 10.  Nauticstar's 210 coastal and Carolina Skiff's 21 Ultra both can carry 10.  They have more of a tri-hull style with a wide bow, so what you're gaining in room and seating, you're giving up on ride in normal Cheaspeake Bay chop.  Both would probably be sub $25k if you look at 5-8 year old boats, but both will weigh over 2500 lbs.  

From what I've seen, most 20' center consoles max out at 8, and you have to jump to 22' to get to 10, which means you're well over your 2000lbs   

I run a 20 ft center console and if there are 3 of us onboard, I’m feeling crowded. 10 persons onboard a 20 footer would be downright dangerous.  Maybe you should spend some time on small boats before laying your own money down on something. That way you’ll have a better understanding of just how small a 20 footer is and what it’s limitations are. Every year, we hear about some tragic accident involving inexperienced boaters. Many of those accidents could be avoided with proper education and experience. Do yourself a favor and take a Couse with the US Power Squadron or the Coast Guard Auxiliary. You can never learn too much about being safe.  Good luck to you.

2 hours ago, fishfood said:

I've looked around a lot for smaller >8 passenger boats.  Where I boat, it's often just a ride to/from the sandbar, so if it's crowded on the boat that's fine.

In the 21' range I've found very few boats (outside of flat bottoms or pontoons) where they bump the passenger rating up to 10.  Nauticstar's 210 coastal and Carolina Skiff's 21 Ultra both can carry 10.  They have more of a tri-hull style with a wide bow, so what you're gaining in room and seating, you're giving up on ride in normal Cheaspeake Bay chop.  Both would probably be sub $25k if you look at 5-8 year old boats, but both will weigh over 2500 lbs.  

From what I've seen, most 20' center consoles max out at 8, and you have to jump to 22' to get to 10, which means you're well over your 2000lbs   

Thanks for your input. I think I've settled on 20-21' as the length and either a Carolina Skiff 218 or Bayliner F21. The number of passengers isn't as important as price and weight. I would need to stay under 3500lb total towing weight in order to stay within the limits of my Honda Minivan's towing capabilities. Do you have any other recommendations besides those I mentioned? I'm assuming these two boats would be perfect for Chesapeake Bay and tributary conditions?

I run a 20 ft center console and if there are 3 of us onboard, I’m feeling crowded. 10 persons onboard a 20 footer would be downright dangerous.  Maybe you should spend some time on small boats before laying your own money down on something. That way you’ll have a better understanding of just how small a 20 footer is and what it’s limitations are. Every year, we hear about some tragic accident involving inexperienced boaters. Many of those accidents could be avoided with proper education and experience. Do yourself a favor and take a Couse with the US Power Squadron or the Coast Guard Auxiliary. You can never learn too much about being safe.  Good luck to you.

Both of those would be fine for plenty of boating scenarios in the bay and tributaries.  You just have to be sensible about where you go and when you do it.  I boat in the very northern part of the bay in a 17' center console that's 30 years old.  Some days I can run from Havre de Grace to the Sassafras easy as pie.  Other days I can barely leave the river without getting tossed like a rag doll.  When the wife and kids are along, I'm twice-as-cautious, and refuse to tempt fate and race weather. 

I don't think 2 days go buy that I don't look at craigslist and a few boating boards window-shopping for boats.  There are a ton of options for great bay boats.  Parker, Jones Bro, Maycraft, Privateer, Seacraft, Sea Ox, Atlantic, Sea Pro, Key West, Grady, Kencraft, Pursuit etc, etc.  I think most would consider bayliner and CS to be lower tier than several of the ones I mentioned.  With a $20k budget you could get a really nice 10-15 year old 20CC from some of the mid to upper tier builders if you're patient and keep your eyes open.  Keep resale in mind, too.  A $25k boat you can resell in 8 years for $18k is a better deal than a $12k boat you won't be able to give away in 8 years  

1 hour ago, fishfood said:

Both of those would be fine for plenty of boating scenarios in the bay and tributaries.  You just have to be sensible about where you go and when you do it.  I boat in the very northern part of the bay in a 17' center console that's 30 years old.  Some days I can run from Havre de Grace to the Sassafras easy as pie.  Other days I can barely leave the river without getting tossed like a rag doll.  When the wife and kids are along, I'm twice-as-cautious, and refuse to tempt fate and race weather. 

I don't think 2 days go buy that I don't look at craigslist and a few boating boards window-shopping for boats.  There are a ton of options for great bay boats.  Parker, Jones Bro, Maycraft, Privateer, Seacraft, Sea Ox, Atlantic, Sea Pro, Key West, Grady, Kencraft, Pursuit etc, etc.  I think most would consider bayliner and CS to be lower tier than several of the ones I mentioned.  With a $20k budget you could get a really nice 10-15 year old 20CC from some of the mid to upper tier builders if you're patient and keep your eyes open.  Keep resale in mind, too.  A $25k boat you can resell in 8 years for $18k is a better deal than a $12k boat you won't be able to give away in 8 years  

Thanks that's really sound advice. I'll keep my options open. 

As for my experience on boats i grew up boating with my dad on the Chesapeake. We owned several boats in my lifetime the last of which was a 30ft Chris Craft center console. As i mentioned before the number of people isn't as much of a concern, and i didn't plan to have 10 people on board, but wanted a boat with a higher carrying capacityin case the need arises to have guests on board with us since are already a family of 5.

Edited by drumsfield

C-hawks a great boat for the money. I think you can buy at any point of completion as well. Parkers are great as are Aquasports if you can find a rebuild. I'm a big fan of the down easter style boats. I live in Florida so there are a lot of Florida specific brands that come to mind but idk if you want to inconvenience yourself in that way. But if you do, perhaps giving Hanson or Sabalo a look. Duck yachts i think are pretty nice as well.