55555s

Your preferred mono for UL stream setup 4lb?

27 posts in this topic

SO, whats your favorite quality 4lb mono for stream fishing trout, sunnies, creek chubs, and the occassional smallmouth.  

Background:

Its time to respool 2 of our ultralight rigs.   Looking for a mono with low memory, low stretch, low visibility.

Son 2 has been using sunline supernatural 6lb and I have been using trilene XL 6lb.   No qualms with either, but its not truly ultralight and we wanted to try to downsize a little.   

I am curious as to what others are using and why.

(I am not adverse to braid and employ a lot of fireline, BUT not for these 2 rigs.)

(more info:  the rods are all 5' ultralights of varying brands, rather soft/slow with plenty of give.  reels are a trion 30, president 30, and sahara 1000 (or some other older shimno) .  the trion 30 will likely be replaced with a 25 soon.  So, none are microsized.  

Thanks in advance!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Spider wire EZ mono, I find it to be tougher but still casts well. I use it for finesse senkos and perch fishing on a clear lake when I go to Maine.

Edited by RIRockhound

1 hour ago, vce12342000 said:

yellow stren 

At least when the misses say's he can go!

I used Berkley fluro 2 or 4 lb.  Same as I use for my tippets now.

Well, for all I know you're still fishing, and just not reporting, like me. I'd be out now except for the ongoing thunderstorm!

I like 4 lb trilene xl for stream fishing. I change it after 4 or 5 trips but I only strip off 35 yds or so and fill over old line. Good luck fishing

I only have one UL spinning set up; Pflueger Trion TRI-25 Spinning Reel spooled with 110 yards of 4 lbs. clear, Trilene XL monofilament line - has worked fine to this point.  OH

I'm still using original Stren for your application.  Have always liked it (since mid-sixties), and it still seems fine to me.  Recently did a search on this topic because I hadn't bought any in a while, and was going to do as you are; re-spooling a light spinning reel.  Original Stren scored high.  Good enough for me.

Original stren for over 40 years last 2 have been using the stren 6# mega thin by far best i ever used for trout . 

Edited by TheKnot

I really like sufix elite and siege. I generally use siege for bass fishing and elite for trout fishing. I always impressed with how much force it takes to break it

I'm running seaguar for clearwater fishing in Florida.  I've never had a problem with it for steelheading either.  I used the original seaguar now I'm using red label.  Its effective but I'm not sure if its the best line.  I just stick with what I know works.

When I use mono, I usually use Berkley- I've been using it for years. Red label for all spinning, blue or green label for convench.  I have 6lb. P-Line on an old Diawa spinning reel and a lightish rod for clear water smallies.  I was never crazy about Stren.