FishTheDitch

TFO GIS SURF?!? Worth it?? Strong Enough??

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

I need a new Canal rod because of my mojo breaking. I’m thinking about buying the TFO GIS SURF 10’6 rated 2-8 oz. anyone out there use this rod and is it cable of 6oz jigs? And how true is that 2-8 rating. Does it have enough backbone to cast far? Does it handle the current when fish is on. Last questions has anyone dealt with TFO’s warranty program. Thanks 

I have the 1st gen TFO surf rods.  The ratings is definitely off.  I wouldnt cast a 6-8oz plug....

In any case, i have caught bass in the ccc.  Ive used 2-3 poppers and and jigs.  You will definitely missile a 2-3oz popper with this rod.

Its a fast action rod and its not for everyone.

Super light rod and i have it paired with my SSV6500.

The rod has held up perfectly fine.

I have fished the 9' rated 1-5 and I would say the sweet spot was 1 1/2-2oz, over 3 would be lobbing it. It really lets metal sail.  It varies with plugs depending on the weighting action.  I just purchased the 10'6" but have not used it yet.  You mention 2-8 in your post and thats what I was expecting but unless my eyes deceive me mine says 2-6 not 2-8.  Its only my intuition at this point but fear I will hear a loud cracking sound beyond 4 but definitly at 5 if I went that route.  I had a Mojo 10'6" 3/4-4 and I think the TFO is stronger but not by much.

Its very light and cast well. The finish is very nice and seems supported by quality components.  Hope this helps!

PS: Everyone keeps saying these are 70/30. I think maybe 65/35.  The longest part of the 10'6" is 82" handle 49 1/2"

Supposedly they had released different models with different lure ratings over the years but kept the model number the same. I have a 10'6" and it's rated 2-6. It launches 3.5 oz to the horizon. Never tried anything heavier with it. I like mine.

Posted (edited)

had mine for 2 seasons now throwing up too 5 oz savages and al gaggs with no problems. I have the 10' 6" 2-6oz

Edited by HerringPoacher
forgot detail

I use it as a daily fisher to be honest- treat it as a 1-5 oz range (i think 5 is really pushing it and a lob cast only) and it'll do everything good enough, but not excel at anything. Useable for eeling, pencil popping, medium jigs, down to redfins and mag darters.  Definitely fast to x fast action, which isnt for everybody as mentioned above.

Warranty service is by far the best out there. Never been hassled plus received my replacement back in eight days. 

You mention 2-8 in your post and thats what I was expecting but unless my eyes deceive me mine says 2-6 not 2-8

both of you are correct.. they have two different rods 2-6 and 2-8.. the early blue version is 2-6 and the current version is 2-8 the color is darker and logo was redesigned. the specs on their website was 2-8 and now changed to 2-6.. i don't know what is going on with them. I believe the label on the rod was misprinted 2-6 instead of 2-8 or maybe that's their strategy tried to confused us so they can sell more rods?

my early blue is 2-6 but i saw 2-8 in Red Top last time i stopped by was 5-6 weeks ago

Im going to order mine online so I wonder which I will get that’s weird a 2-8 seems to good to be true. Because that’s as close as you get to an all purpose rod for the money. 

Posted (edited)

This past tuesday 7/17/18 I sent an email to Temple Fork Outfitters about this issue.  I told them their site and most retailers had the 1065 at 2-8 but my rod said 2-6.  They acknowledged their site was in error and it should be 2-6 and they would correct.  Later that day their site had corrected it to 2-6.  I know nothing about 2 different rods.  Now that would be confusing.  Can anyone else clariify?

Edited by mackerel hunter
add last sentence

I think the new ratings are 2-6 for the 10'6" TFO rods.  Majority of the sites that carry the rods probably never updated the info on their websites.  I know my rod(1st Gen) shows 2-8 on the rod.

In either case, with a 2-3 oz plug, im able to launch them as far as anyone can, maybe further.  I think 3 is the sweet spot.  Anything heavier you would be lobbing it out there.

Again, this rod isnt for everyone because its a fast action rod.  Plenty of backbone for rod this light.

This is the second lightest rod I own, right next to my 10' blackhole Suzuki. I currently have a saragosa 6000 on it but was contemplating switching it up to my bg 5000 or I have a abu Garcia revo inshore 60 on the shelf collecting dust. This rod is my go to fall run out front rod, if we have a fall run this year.