Daiwa Fuego LT...any stories?

Rate this topic

sprinkles

I’m looking for a lightweight reel to mount to a light surf rod and possibly do double duty on some stripers when plugging from shore in my local river. I like the features of the Fuego LT, but I’m not sure I like how much flex I noticed in the handle. 

Im curious if anyone has experience with these reels landing larger fish in the surf or just larger fish in general. I know the frame isn’t Zaion material, so I’m inclined not to trust it. 

I haven't used mine for any larger or strong pullers.  And found it to be a really nice reel albeit plastic.

It's not flimsy like 1990s early 2000's plastic.  But it's not as sturdy as the fancy branded Zaion or Ci4+

Check out some of Elias V's tarpon vids.  He's used his quite extensively.   He's also a member here, might be worth shooting him a PM

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

My 2500 LT arrived, Im curious how she'll fish. 2 weeks in and i really like the Tatula. At half the price the Fuego is a dam nice reel. Should do just fine for fresh water and light salt. 

IMG_5628.jpg

IMG_5627.jpg

Edited by nfnDrum

• 2 weeks later...

Own fuego LT - 3000. Way too much flex at stem when reeling in even moderate sized striped bass/bluefish.  V dissapointed, because reel is otherwise v nice - light, smooth drag, etc. But trust me, on my st croix 7.6 mojo when reeling in fish, flex is excessive. I use 20lb. Braid. Not a fan. Problem is finding light weight quality affordable reel. My battle/BG are stellar, but on heavy side. I paid about $80 for my fuego, so was worth a try, but she is a failure in the flex department - plain & simple. Maybe ok for light fresh water use.

17 mins ago, Nick the Striper man said:

Really surprised DAIWA did not field test this reel, or if they did, did not acknowledge flex issue. I wonder about R & D with these companies - unacceptable. Rushing to market with such a fatal flaw? Again, unacceptable for a company like daiwa.

Not trying to stick up for the company or nothin......but for 80$  and that weight

What reel would be better.

The okuma is the only one or maybe that new abu that would be comparable $$ vs Oz that would be any better in flex dept.

The smaller shimanos exhibit the same flex in my experience...comparing the fuego to the nasci capacity wise the fuego is almost a third lighter

The fuego is an exceler with mag seal...and the Exceler sells for 60$....this is Junk reel territory and yet they are actually really good performing reels  

How is the flex in the stem a "fatal" flaw.  The old epixors (from 10 years ago) flex was a fatal flaw....winching under just a  moderate load the sideplate would allow the main gear to jump out of the pinion.   That chattering sound was cringeworthy....Not the case with this.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

I know the reel is relatively inexpensive, but nonetheless not fit for its intended purpose IMO. Do not make reels that cannot accomplish their intended purpose. The flex is terrible. It feels like the gears are about to strip, although they have not yet. When u experience that much flex when reeling in a fish, it is disconcerting & just makes it unpleasant to use the reel. Just stating the facts as I have experienced them.  OP asked for experiences with flex in this reel. That is what I have given.

12 hours ago, Nick the Striper man said:

I know the reel is relatively inexpensive, but nonetheless not fit for its intended purpose IMO. Do not make reels that cannot accomplish their intended purpose. The flex is terrible. It feels like the gears are about to strip, although they have not yet. When u experience that much flex when reeling in a fish, it is disconcerting & just makes it unpleasant to use the reel. Just stating the facts as I have experienced them.  OP asked for experiences with flex in this reel. That is what I have given.

Are you winching in your fish?

Yeah I’ve said it before on here. I don’t recommend this reel for salt water fishing of any kind. Don’t know how Elias V uses this thing but hey he’s a better fisherman than me. Jigging medium sized scup 13-14 inches max yesterday it was flexing bad.  30 feet of water and a 1.5oz skinner jig. Too bad it feels so nice unloaded on a dark matter rod. 

I've never owned a reel that flexed that much. Not even an UL trout reel.

It may work ok for some uses but I don't have any confidence in it.

I don't fish enough to want to worry about it so I don't fish it.

I hope the LTs with a Zaion body are better - I imagine they are.

We've got one sold here in New Zealand called the Sol 3 - orange coloured. Magsealed, fairly expensive - I've been considering buying one.

This is all interesting. I checked the reel in a local store, and that’s what spurned the concern over the flex in “reel” life.  (Pardon the pun)  I end up fighting fish in some heavy current, so I imagine the pressure is quite a bit. I’m leaning toward a zaion or metal bodied reel. The BG, stradic, or possibly a jdm Daiwa variant like the EM MS or Theory might be in the future.