Dogfisher1

$25 bucks for Hobie Thru Hull Wiring Kit? Really?

12 posts in this topic

I have everything I need to install my FF and battery in the kayak and I just need to send the wires through the hull. Are there any alternatives to the Hobie Thru Wiring Kit on Amazon? $19 + $5 for shipping is crazy!

I thought the price of the wiring kit was ridiculous also. I never actually ordered it. Just have the regular Hobie one. 

1 hour ago, Gus said:

I have the West Marine "Wire Cap" $7 on both my kayaks.  Works for me.  

Is the wire cap water proof?

26 mins ago, Pma531 said:

I thought the price of the wiring kit was ridiculous also. I never actually ordered it. Just have the regular Hobie one. 

Is the wire cap water proof?

Nothing a little caulk can't fix if it's not.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ryan what model of fish finder did you buy? Some fish finders have large fittings that require large wholes in the deck. Lowrance fittings with fish finders with a gps are pretty big. The hobie wire kit was made with lowrance fittings in mind. It is expensive but you do get a good amount of fittings. It is pretty water proof. Not 100%. Every hole in the deck of your kayak will leak a little water. It should not be a problem. Did you get a battery bag for your prowler or are you going to use a plastic container. Are you going to use a fuse? What about the transducer? In hull or in water? Good luck with you new ride. Post some pictures when you are done rigging. If you need  a cheap solution for the wires passing through the deck use a cork. Drill a hole through the center of it.  Make a slit in the  side of it and pass your wires though. You can use some silicone to help seal it.

Edited by dbjpb

I looked at a ton of FF models and could've gone with fancy but in the end I just got the Garmin Striker 4. I'm gonna do the waterproof box for the battery. Fuse comes with the FF I think. Haven't decided where to mount the battery box yet. Suspended or in a foam cradle on the bottom. I'm gonna put the transducer inside the hull up front. I think I will try the cork thing before I drop $25. Thanks for the tip.

What I didn't like was that I would of had to spend $18 for one small rubber piece. Plus the rest would of been a complete waste. Is there only one rubber piece with the two wires in the kit?

On 7/15/2018 at 11:39 AM, Dogfisher1 said:

I have everything I need to install my FF and battery in the kayak and I just need to send the wires through the hull. Are there any alternatives to the Hobie Thru Wiring Kit on Amazon? $19 + $5 for shipping is crazy!

Like others I also use the West Marine wire cap and on my 2018 Revo, Hobie adopted the same style now instead of that stupid backing nut where it's almost impossible for your arm to get that nut on. Screws are waaaaaayyyyyy easier than the backing nut. Hobies design is better but the cheaper West Marine gets the job done. You get little miniature Stainless screws with the West Marine brand but a small tip phillips gets em cranked in.

Pictures of Hobie installed on 2018 Revo.

wirecapII.jpg