Braided line. Casting finger. What tape protects/last best?

Rate this topic

PoseidonSurf

hey matt. i also am not real crazy about electric tape. it seems i have to put any tape i use uncomfortably tight or it will quickly fall off. a few years ago i started using those thin mechanics gloves with all but the casting finger cut off. kinda a copy of those things they sell. when a hole wears through i just turn em inside out and use the other side. left hand glove works ok too at least for me

i get em for free....thank you haliburton corp

"what good are tractors without violins" ?   jose figueres

Guys and Gals thank you. There were all great responses. Really something I would never have thought of. With many minds comes different ideas so of all the responses I received and being a hockey player for 19 years I never once thought of using it until now. Thank you to the many replies I got on hockey tape. I remember wrapping my shin guards with that stuff. Now I’ll be wrapping my finger with it. Lol. Thanks again!! 

19 hours ago, srm413 said:

wimps!   the only solution is to fish more and develop serious callouses.  but.... it takes time, and commitment.  just sort of kidding!

Haha I’m assuming that your sarcastically reiterating the classic response on this subject from the one too many napoleons that seem to exist on here...if that’s the case, then i do find that post funny. 

In general though, i would imagine that guys who really do believe that don’t cast as far as they potentially could if they held the line for longer. 

Not that casting distance is essential in all scenarios because it’s not always from my experience, but i still let it rip most the time. 

So, being a desk jockey, I don’t have the manly callouses on my index finger like some of the other posters. I’ve tried the finger guard that Sudaey posted and into found that it came off my finger. I haven’t tried the Gamakatsu finger guard that others have mentioned. I have tried white first aid tape, cotton hockey tape, clear hockey tape, electrical tape, Nexcare, etc. Nexcare is the best in terms of grip and tactile feedback. However, it is sort of delicate and will tear during your fishing session. The best in terms of durability, water proof, durability and ability to stay on your finger for me has been the Johnson & Johnson white first aid tape. Do NOT buy some discount versio (ie stor brand). The glue tends to be weak on the generic version. 

I will that I do not throw really big plugs. I top out at 3 oz buck tails so YMMV