Chass510

Calcutta 400 casting issues

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I was given a Calcutta 400 conventional reel recently and can't figure out how to get it to free spool so I can make a "friction less" cast. 

tried to play with the brakes on the reel and but still can't seem to get into a free spool cast mode-

I know theres a learning curve but what am I doing wrong?

Loosing up the knob, wiggle the spool side to side and slowly tighten till the there is very little to no play. When you press the free spool button. Does the spool spin freely? If it doesn’t then you might need new bearings. Check your bearings for rust. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

After pressing the button down and loosening that knob and still isn't spinning then maybe it needs to be serviced. Open it up. Something causing it to bind. Watch some videos on how to. Not too complicated. Be careful loosening that know too much where it comes off. There's a spring and a couple of spacers there. Good luck 

Screenshot_2018-07-14-00-36-58.png

Edited by DaveBKNY

if it is together correctly[thumbar] and fully functional it should turn free.

perhaps the bearings need a drop of oil.

HH

ps-some pix of the reel and thumbar position plus more info on what you did\are trying to do would help.

Edited by Roddy

Forgot to mention -reels been sitting for probably 5 years so should definitely open and use oil but

I believe part of issue was that I screwed the side plate on to tight when I took it apart causing friction on the spool... just loosened the side plate which gave the spool a little play and now it works about 90% free spool mode. - hopefully make it even better with a little servicing.

thanks guys 

2 hours ago, Chass510 said:

Forgot to mention -reels been sitting for probably 5 years so should definitely open and use oil but

I believe part of issue was that I screwed the side plate on to tight when I took it apart causing friction on the spool... just loosened the side plate which gave the spool a little play and now it works about 90% free spool mode. - hopefully make it even better with a little servicing.

thanks guys 

Most likely your problem is that you did not hold the thumb bar in the UP position when reinstalling the side plate.  Give that a shot and let us know.

9 hours ago, Chass510 said:

thanks guys 

for those with good thumbs you want to loosen the end cap enough so there is a very slight hint of sideplay on the spool.

also as Mike1010 said if you open the reel hold the thumbar in the up position whilst you tighten the 3 knurled screws.

remember,just 1 drop of oil on each bearing and on the shaft side,drip it down the shaft that goes into the gearside of the reel.

that's a fine reel and it's a tank.

go fishing !

HH

Edited by Roddy

any chance you got some grease inside the pinion? if the spool shaft has grease on it.  It will really slow it down when it sticks tot he inside of the pinion

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

any chance you got some grease inside the pinion? if the spool shaft has grease on it.  It will really slow it down when it sticks tot he inside of the pinion

Honestly might be it- soon as I stick the shaft inside the pinion the friction occurrs - when its not in , its friction less

2 hours ago, Roddy said:

for those with good thumbs you want to loosen the end cap enough so there is a very slight hint of sideplay on the spool.

also as Mike1010 said if you open the reel hold the thumbar in the up position whilst you tighten the 3 knurled screws.

remember,just 1 drop of oil on each bearing and on the shaft side,drip it down the shaft that goes into the gearside of the reel.

that's a fine reel and it's a tank.

go fishing !

HH

I’m going to check it out when I get home - thanks for the help guys

6 hours ago, Chass510 said:

I’m going to check it out when I get home - thanks for the help guys

let us know how you make out.

and YW!

HH