East Tide

Interesting Quote

Rate this topic

131 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

From Salty Cape today:

Mike Thomas at M & D’s told me that they didn’t weigh in a fish under 35-pounds this morning and people are being, as he said, “ruthless” when it comes to high grading and poaching.

If there's truth to this, why isn't it addressed?

Edited by TimS
Please don’t spread rumors here - unless you saw it yourself please don’t spread this kind of rumor/story here

After witnessing this morning's behavior, the EPO number is on speed dial and I'm locked and loaded. A friendly suggestion to all: if you see something, say something !

3 hours ago, East Tide said:

From Salty Cape today:

Mike Thomas at M & D’s told me that they didn’t weigh in a fish under 35-pounds this morning and people are being, as he said, “ruthless” when it comes to high grading and poaching.

If there's truth to this, why isn't it addressed?

thats horrable he should have his fishing licence taken away

Edited by TimS
quote edited

They have to come up with a dated non detachable tag system where any fish in possession without a tag is a stiff fine. If it cost a few more bucks to implement so be it, we only have these balloon knots to blame

What I've seen so far this year isn't even on par with last year. It's far worse. Besides the obvious poaching, the awful abuse and handling is off the  charts. Clearly most people have no respect for our resource. People have no problem throwing back a dead 35" fish after they catch a 40".

These people are pigs.

I just got off the phone with the EPO 800 line. They told me they're fully aware of what s transpiring on the canal, and have officers on patrol. They made it clear IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, CALL AND REPORT IT IMMEDIATELY. THEY WILL RESPOND.

So there you have it. The number is 800 632 8075.

1 min ago, bob_G said:

I just got off the phone with the EPO 800 line. They told me they're fully aware of what s transpiring on the canal, and have officers on patrol. They made it clear IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, CALL AND REPORT IT IMMEDIATELY. THEY WILL RESPOND.

So there you have it. The number is 800 632 8075.

thanks for doing this bob. 

Quick question. If Sunday & Thursday are the fishing days for commercial fishermen, when do they have to sell them to a wholesaler? I tried googling it but only found info about the fishing days, numbers, and size limits.

2 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Quick question. If Sunday & Thursday are the fishing days for commercial fishermen, when do they have to sell them to a wholesaler? I tried googling it but only found info about the fishing days, numbers, and size limits.

its monday and thursday, and pretty sure they need to sell on those days as well.

commercial- 34inch minimum

shore fisherman 2 bass

boat 15 per boat

Edited by canalsharpie

10 mins ago, canalsharpie said:

its monday and thursday, and pretty sure they need to sell on those days as well.

So if comms are fishing until midnight on Thu night, then they have no way of selling it, by the rules, correct? Unless there's a wholesaler open until midnight on Thu?

I'm just trying to understand the whole process/transaction.

The main reason why is because I've never seen as many pick up trucks at the canal as I did late last night and this morning. I wasn't sure if comms who caught fish on Thu could sell them to a wholesaler on Fri.

So if they have to sell them on Thu as well, I have a hard time believing they weren't a lot of comm guys in the wee hours of this morning stockpiling fish for Sunday.

Edited by zak-striper

1 min ago, zak-striper said:

So if comms are fishing until midnight on Thu night, then they have no way of selling it, by the rules, correct? Unless there's a wholesaler open until midnight on Thu?

I'm just trying to understand the whole process/transaction.

The main reason why is because I've never seen as many pick up trucks at the canal as I did late last night and this morning. I wasn't sure if comms who caught fish on Thu could sell them to a wholesaler on Fri?

So if they have to sell them on Thu as well, I have a hard time believing there weren't  a lot of comm guys in the wee hours of this morning stockpiling fish for Sunday.

i am not sure of the selling process sorry, but i can tell you on monday and thursday there is a market near the canal open until midnight. I have a friend who does night fishing and sells there, whether or not they can sell it after midnight or if shop just backdates the purchase date by a few hours or not. I have no clue on how that works, never have fished commercial for bass before.

5 mins ago, canalsharpie said:

but i can tell you on monday and thursday there is a market near the canal open until midnight. I have a friend who does night fishing and sells there, whether or not they can sell it after midnight or if shop just backdates the purchase date by a few hours or not.

Thanks for sharing what you do know. I just want to make sure I accurately know how the whole process works so I don't make incorrect assumptions.

Edited by zak-striper

51 mins ago, bob_G said:

What I've seen so far this year isn't even on par with last year. It's far worse. Besides the obvious poaching, the awful abuse and handling is off the  charts. Clearly most people have no respect for our resource. People have no problem throwing back a dead 35" fish after they catch a 40".

These people are pigs.

Thursday morning I took a trip down to the ditch from RI to avoid the hurricane swell in my local spots.... only my 3rd time fishing the ditch.... I saw 3 different guys fishing near me  dump a dead bass that was slightly smaller than the one they just caught...  I said “ hey you don’t want to do that!” Too one guy..  and I got the shoulder shrug Response... WTF?? What is wrong with people?     

I Also saw people kick bass off rocks as they (released them)! Crazy place for sure! 

*On a positive, on the bike path I was asked for my fishing license by an EPO!