tomkaz

Kudos to PGers of all political stripes

23 posts in this topic

Most of you guys are smart and rather well-informed, even compared to ostensibly “smart people”. 

 

I was out to dinner last night with four other couples. My wife warned me in advance that this was a “mixed” group and I thought she meant ethnically since one couple is Asian (Japanese and Chinese) and one couple is Hispanic (Spain and Argentina I discovered). But no, because they next thing she “told” me is “no politics, even if you don’t start it”. 

 

All professionals from finance, legal and accounting as well as one business owning couple. 

 

So the dinner went off fine, nearly 2.5 hours, several bottles of wine and more than a few cocktails. Conversations rambled through the typical myriad of topics such a group of parents (Hispanic couple pregnant with first) with ages ranging from mid-30s to me.

 

Eventually a conversation thread moved from the World Cup to Russians being far more congenial hosts than feared to Putin meeting with Trump. And then it went to the NATO meeting, Trump & May and more. 

 

It was not hard to tell the politics of those there and they mostly leaned center to left. Very little vocal support for Trump, and some outright negative comments. One couple was clearly a right-left combo and one other guy kept his mouth shut leading me to assume he is a Trump supporter or similar. 

 

All the while I kept my mouth mostly shut, nodding when appropriate, and offering a factual observation here and there. 

 

But here is the reason for this thread, overall, I found most of their understanding of current events limited, even though the topics ranged widely. Superficial understanding of the history or background and a real “Comedy Central” understanding for a couple of them. Frankly, if I was given the weapons-free order, I could have been arrested for rhetorical manslaughter. It would have been too easy. 

 

Walking to the car my wife kissed me on the cheek and thanked me for “behaving”. And then said, and I quote, “A few of them were dumber than our idiot sons.” which is an insult to our progeny who are actually pretty smart and aware. 

 

So, my hat if off to most many of you for your understanding of current events, history, policy science, etc. because you are far smarter than the group I was with last night. And that compliment extends to the broader world too as I regularly appalled by the lack of smarts in my daily interactions with people. 

 

So there you have it, a compliment to many of you, even the Lefties with whom I agree on nearly nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mighty big of you Tom.

 

You missed a great opportunity. If you don't learn who is? I guess those stupid people will just have to keep living in ignorant bliss. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good job TK.

 

Happy wife , happy life.

 

Also, factual arguments never work on people devoid of facts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

8 mins ago, Mike S123 said:

Mighty big of you Tom.

 

You missed a great opportunity. If you don't learn who is? I guess those stupid people will just have to keep living in ignorant bliss. 

Hey Mike, when I crossed out Most and substituted Many above, you weren’t necessarily on my mind.... but if the strike-through fits, so be it. 

Edited by tomkaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Notice the leftists make themselves evident as such by what they say as the conservatives do so by way of obvious restraint. Shows who's classy enough to avoid a very inappropriate political discussion in a mixed setting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, tomkaz said:

Most of you guys are smart and rather well-informed, even compared to ostensibly “smart people”. 

 

I was out to dinner last night with four other couples. My wife warned me in advance that this was a “mixed” group and I thought she meant ethnically since one couple is Asian (Japanese and Chinese) and one couple is Hispanic (Spain and Argentina I discovered). But no, because they next thing she “told” me is “no politics, even if you don’t start it”. 

 

All professionals from finance, legal and accounting as well as one business owning couple. 

 

So the dinner went off fine, nearly 2.5 hours, several bottles of wine and more than a few cocktails. Conversations rambled through the typical myriad of topics such a group of parents (Hispanic couple pregnant with first) with ages ranging from mid-30s to me.

 

Eventually a conversation thread moved from the World Cup to Russians being far more congenial hosts than feared to Putin meeting with Trump. And then it went to the NATO meeting, Trump & May and more. 

 

It was not hard to tell the politics of those there and they mostly leaned center to left. Very little vocal support for Trump, and some outright negative comments. One couple was clearly a right-left combo and one other guy kept his mouth shut leading me to assume he is a Trump supporter or similar. 

 

All the while I kept my mouth mostly shut, nodding when appropriate, and offering a factual observation here and there. 

 

But here is the reason for this thread, overall, I found most of their understanding of current events limited, even though the topics ranged widely. Superficial understanding of the history or background and a real “Comedy Central” understanding for a couple of them. Frankly, if I was given the weapons-free order, I could have been arrested for rhetorical manslaughter. It would have been too easy. 

 

Walking to the car my wife kissed me on the cheek and thanked me for “behaving”. And then said, and I quote, “A few of them were dumber than our idiot sons.” which is an insult to our progeny who are actually pretty smart and aware. 

 

So, my hat if off to most many of you for your understanding of current events, history, policy science, etc. because you are far smarter than the group I was with last night. And that compliment extends to the broader world too as I regularly appalled by the lack of smarts in my daily interactions with people. 

 

So there you have it, a compliment to many of you, even the Lefties with whom I agree on nearly nothing. 

Did you wear your MAGA hat during dinner or did you take it off? Lol...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, Mike S123 said:

Mighty big of you Tom.

 

You missed a great opportunity. If you don't learn who is? I guess those stupid people will just have to keep living in ignorant bliss

That's the way Dem's want 'em. :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t own a MAGA had but I did think about wearing my AR15.com hat but that would have been too blatant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, fishinambition said:

Notice the leftists make themselves evident as such by what they say as the conservatives do so by way of obvious restraint. Shows who's classy enough to avoid a very inappropriate political discussion in a mixed setting.

For sure the guy who had nothing to say is a Trump supporter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you ever get stuck for conversation at one of those things, play the dysfunctional family contest where everyone goes around and describes the poorest performing member of their extended family. It's always a good time. 

 

Nevertheless, discussing politics with most people that don't follow them closely is usually a study in ignorance. There's only a handful of people in real life that I do discuss politics with. Most aren't interested enough to know the details of much at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Biting tongue is good strategy and mine has plenty of my teeth marks.  Many of them should have done the same but here in Liberal Land they feel emboldened by numbers.   Well done. 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, The Dude said:

If you ever get stuck for conversation at one of those things, play the dysfunctional family contest where everyone goes around and describes the poorest performing member of their extended family. It's always a good time. 

 

Nevertheless, discussing politics with most people that don't follow them closely is usually a study in ignorance. There's only a handful of people in real life that I do discuss politics with. Most aren't interested enough to know the details of much at all. 

Dude, you are amongst those who I tip my hat to. Might not agree with you, but when you can avoid the snark, you are OK. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good on ya. On the other side my next door neighbors, who I do get along with, are very vocal Trump supporters, yet speaking to them last week they had no idea who Scott Pruitt or Merrick Garland are, so it kind of depends on who you're talking to. Similarly, when the Hillbots came to my door asking for my help to "Stop Trump" they had no responses to my questions regarding things like TPP, Glass Steagall, etc. They just knew they were "with her". In reality I think the majority of voters on both side are very low information and basically lazy, not that that impacts their ability to form and broadcasts opinions. That's part of the downside of dividing politics into what really resembles fans of 2 sports teams;people tend to pick a "team" and that's all they need to know. Doesn't make for very stimulating coversation alas...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tomkaz said:

But no, because they next thing she “told” me is “no politics, even if you don’t start it”. 

A familiar refrain around my household.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Participating here keeps one informed, and gives them practice at formulating an opinion.

Without this joint, or others like it, I would be as dumb at forming informed opinions as the average dummy.

So, the thanks really goes to TimS and his letting us have this playground to spray graffiti all over .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.