tomkaz

What Is Trump’s Real Point in Dissing Germany?

42 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Lost amid the brouhaha Trump caused Wednesday in Brussels were the nature of his anti-Putin comments whe. Complaining about Germany coming to rely on Russia for energy, specifically gas. Trump, by berating Merkel, was not only digging at her decisions but also pointing out the Putin is gas-mailing Germany, and therefore a large chunk of NATO, by forcing bad terms in them as a cost of being able to keep Germany electrified. 

And, through all the objections about Trump's boorish behavior and not being a good ally, if the desire for Germany, end Europe, to hide one essential fact: They are now dependent on Russia for natural gas because their obscene green policies, particularly in the wake of 

The Fukushima disaster, have been an abject failure. That their efforts to rely fully in renewable, non-nuclear sources of electricity have not only been costly but now threaten their sovereignty and national security. 

So, is it any wonder that the entire Left-leaning world is pissed at Trump? He, the bull in the china shop, whether he intends to or not, is showing the world the failure of the green agenda in the real-world. John Hinderacker observes: 

“Trump is right about this. Germany stupidly closed nuclear and coal power plants in favor of huge investments in “green” energy. Those investments, predictably, have failed to do anything other than drive the price of electricity unacceptably high. Germany is now backing away from its ‘green’ policies in favor of natural gas. Where does it get most of its natural gas? From Russia. The specific focus of Trump’s criticism is the proposed Nord Stream 2 pipeline, which would take gas from Russia to Germany. That pipeline has been controversial for a while. . . . I think the answer is that German post-war guilt is now indistinguishable from lazy softness. Russia is playing a hard game, annexing Crimea, putting constant pressure on Ukraine, making preparations to invade the Baltics. Putin’s regime is trying to restore the Russian empire, and it is questionable whether Europeans west of Poland have the will to resist. Trump is obviously, and rightly, trying to stiffen their spines.”

Edited by tomkaz

56 mins ago, tomkaz said:

Lost amid the brouhaha Trump caused Wednesday in Brussels were the nature of his anti-Putin comments whe. Complaining about Germany coming to rely on Russia for energy, specifically gas. Trump, by berating Merkel, was not only digging at her decisions but also pointing out the Putin is gas-mailing Germany, and therefore a large chunk of NATO, by forcing bad terms in them as a cost of being able to keep Germany electrified. 

And, through all the objections about Trump's boorish behavior and not being a good ally, if the desire for Germany, end Europe, to hide one essential fact: They are now dependent on Russia for natural gas because their obscene green policies,

Russia has in fact used NG as a political tool, although it's Ukraine, the Baltics, and other E European countries where Putin messes the most.

But I'd think you should know by now to check Trump's numbers before you go off. Trump says 70% of Germany's NG comes from Russia? OK, but NG is only about 13% of Germany's energy mix for power production.  0.7 X .132 = 9.2%. So it ain't 70% of energy. But you sucked his words up.

Germany gets 33% of their power from renewables. So your thesis is basically ass backwards...renewables have made them less dependent on Russia for NG (I agree that Germany made a big mistake in moving away from nuclear after Fukushima).

fig3-share-energy-sources-gross-german-power-production-2017.png.148b116a4e37f3b2d126bcd6f70507ba.png

16 mins ago, fishinambition said:

33% lol

I agree, thats not true.

I thought Trump said that WHEN the pipeline is finished Germany may purchase up to 70% of their energy from Russia. 

2 mins ago, JohnP said:

Germany should be using US coal

lol

Nope but they had no reason to shut down their Nukes other than their silly Green Agenda:kook:

1 min ago, Harf said:

Nope but they had no reason to shut down their Nukes other than their silly Green Agenda:kook:

Yeah that and things like 

Chernobyl

Three Mile Island 

(I'm surprised you guys haven’t called these nuclear disasters leftist plots with crisis actors)

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, patchyfog said:

So it ain't 70% of energy. But you sucked his words up.

Germany gets 33% of their power from renewables. So your thesis is basically ass backwards...renewables have made them less dependent on Russia for NG (I agree that Germany made a big mistake in moving away from nuclear after Fukushima).

Did I say 70%? Did the quoted text say 70%? 

What was the goal for renewables when they shutdown their nuke and coal power production?

What were the cost estimates? 

Have they fallen short on production and exceeded cost estimates? 

What was their NG-based energy production estimates when they shut down the other forms of production? 

Do they have any spare, ie excess production, today? 

The discussion and point is not what the levels are today. It is what were they then and have they fallen short of those goal. You can LOL all you want, but the point is Germany did not PLAN on being dependent at the margin on Russian gas. And that marginal dependence is really all that matters if there is no spare or excess production involved. 

During summer, CT and NY energy consumers would experience brownouts as energy demand due to high AC demand strained production capacity. NY and CT could import power from other regions and yet demand would still exceed supply, hence the brown outs. And that is with the existing productive capacity working flat out. 

What happens when you are a country and you and you don’t necessarily have the ability to "import" power from your neighbors? Or you are dependent on renewables and don’t have spare capacity to bring online? And thus your production capacity is fixed are you not then beholden to whomever controls your marginal production or fuel for your marginal production? 

Nice try patchy, but your review of absolutes seems to ignore that this is about marginal production, not total production and whether 15% or 33% , it is a big deal, and leveragable. 

Edited by tomkaz

10 mins ago, Markushook said:

I thought Trump said that WHEN the pipeline is finished Germany may purchase up to 70% of their energy from Russia. 

Details schmetails

22 mins ago, Little said:

I agree, thats not true.

I have no idea whatsoever if that's sarc or serious. What, in your view, is the truth?

8 mins ago, JohnP said:

Yeah that and things like 

Chernobyl

Three Mile Island 

(I'm surprised you guys haven’t called these nuclear disasters leftist plots with crisis actors)

Deplorable comment 

Just now, JohnP said:

Why thank you

^^^ Now that is funny since you say deplorable people wrap themselves in their deplorable behavior and are proud of it, or some such drivel. So does this make you a deplorable?