lonellr

Block Island anglers busted in EEZ with illegal fish

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

Game fish status and all this foolish crap ends. Go catch some SeaBass and let the damn stripers swim. Keep all these out of state fish rappers home in there own fished out waters. This crap needs to end

On 7/12/2018 at 1:08 PM, levari said:

You can’t do it in Jersey. Someone will find the first one and steal it..,

Then again, in Jersey you can keep two fish anyway, if you get the sizes right, and even three once the "bonus tag" kicks in.

On 7/14/2018 at 2:12 AM, FlatWing said:

Question was raised as to why the offenders only had 1 fish each in their possession - perhaps this explains?

• Excerpt from Fisherman Magazine:

The 2018 Federal budget prohibits the enforcement of the prohibition of targeting striped bass in Federal waters around Block Island, RI by NOAA Fisheries and the Coast Guard.

By Toby Lapinski  |  February 26, 2018

In 2017 Rep. Lee M. Zeldin (R. New York), sponsored H.R. 1195 - Local Fishing Access Act which, if passed, would authorize the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to permit and regulate Atlantic striped bass fishing in the Block Island Sound Transit Zone that is in the EEZ.

• However, this is on the NOAA website:

Federal Recreational Fisheries Regulations for the Greater Atlantic Region

Updated May 1, 2018

Species
Open Season
Minimum Size
Possession limit
Closed Area
Comments

Striped bass (striper)

Closed No retention No retention N/A Exception:  Block Island, RI - only for transit through this area.

• Congress.gov website shows the following history for HR 1195:

Date All Actions
03/07/2017 Referred to the Subcommittee on Water, Power and Oceans.
Action By: Committee on Natural Resources
02/16/2017 Referred to the House Committee on Natural Resources.
Action By: House of Representatives
02/16/2017

Introduced in House
Action By: House of Representatives

Maybe I'm reading too much into the circumstance, but perhaps the offenders saw the Fisherman article and figured there was no one to enforce the Regulation, so what the heck?

I don't think that provision made it into the final budget bill; it was in the House version, but I THINK it was removed during conference with the Senate.

However, H.R. 200, the bill intended to weaken the conservation provisions of Magnuson-Stevens that passed last week, contained a new Zeldin amendment that would permit recreational and commercial striped bass fishing in the so-called "transit zone" between Block Island and various New York, Connecticut and Rhode Island ports.

Which is another good reason to keep the Senate from passing anything that would enable H.R. 200 become law--such as, for example, S. 1520.

5 hours ago, turkaholic said:

Game fish status and all this foolish crap ends. Go catch some SeaBass and let the damn stripers swim. Keep all these out of state fish rappers home in there own fished out waters. This crap needs to end

Actually, it wouldn't, particularly if all or part of the commercial quota was reallocated to the recreational side.

You'd just have party boats, charter boats and a lot of private anglers killing the fish.  And a lot of "recreational" folks selling bass through the back door of shops and restaurants, who would be paying bottom dollar for it and calling it something else.

On 7/11/2018 at 7:03 PM, Cpalms said:

Hard to say... maybe the were just 50 feet over the line and the DEC guys were being hard asses. They were likely fishing the southwest ledge area and to go out of bounds by a few feet is easy to do in that area.  The bass fishing in these parts has been so good lately there would certainly be no reason to cheat.

Can you buy a program for a chartplotter that will show the boundaries of the State's waters, vs. the Feds, that will show you where you are at all times? You'd want that boundary displayed, if you are anywhere near the edge. 

6 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Can you buy a program for a chartplotter that will show the boundaries of the State's waters, vs. the Feds, that will show you where you are at all times? You'd want that boundary displayed, if you are anywhere near the edge. 

That's pretty standard on any navigation chip these days.

22 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Yes like Charlie said.... it’s right there programmed for you - hard to miss although easy to forget about. I certainly have.  I’ll look on my garmin to see if there is a way to sound an alarm if you cross the border.  There are a lot of honest mistakes made between montauk and block.  The red tape is pretty thick.

2 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Yes like Charlie said.... it’s right there programmed for you - hard to miss although easy to forget about. I certainly have.  I’ll look on my garmin to see if there is a way to sound an alarm if you cross the border.  There are a lot of honest mistakes made between montauk and block.  The red tape is pretty thick.

I wouldn't doubt it.