lonellr

Block Island anglers busted in EEZ with illegal fish

69 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Boats from New York and Delaware. Both boats had illegal fish. Why do it?

DLE Police Officer with seized illegal striped bass

Last week while patrolling federal waters off Block Island through DEM’s Cooperative Enforcement Agreement with the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)), DLE Police Officers Harold Guise & Kyle Murray boarded vessels from New York and Delaware & found the captains of both boats to be in illegal possession of striped bass in the EEZ.

The captains were cited & NOAA General Counsel will prosecute the cases. DLE seized 2 fish — including the striper being held by EPO Guise (pictured above) & donated them to the Galilee Mission, a nonprofit drug & alcohol treatment program based in Narragansett.

The central goals of all fishery management plans are 1) to prevent overfishing, while achieving a steady maximum sustainable yield from each fishery; and 2) to restore overfished or depleted stocks to sustainable levels.

The Marine Unit of DEM’s Division of Law Enforcement (DLE) helps by enforcing both recreational & commercial fishing, shellfishing, & lobstering laws & regulations in our state’s waters & in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). The EEZ is an area from 3 miles to 200 miles offshore where the U.S. has jurisdiction over natural resources.

Edited by lonellr
I had to remove the link, we don’t allow commercial links - please copy/paste the relevant portion of the article around which you wish to frame the discussion - thanks

Coast guard used to be out there all the time-  havne't seen them much recenbtly, and certainly didn't expect any eral increase in enforcement with the current budget reductions coming outta Washington.......   this is a a surprise

1 hour ago, Cpalms said:

Which NY boat? Any idea?

No idea. Don't they usually release the boat name instantly. Maybe in some newspaper? Pretty dumb for 1 fish each boat. Pretty dumb in general.

12 mins ago, lonellr said:

No idea. Don't they usually release the boat name instantly. Maybe in some newspaper? Pretty dumb for 1 fish each boat. Pretty dumb in general.

Hard to say... maybe the were just 50 feet over the line and the DEC guys were being hard asses. They were likely fishing the southwest ledge area and to go out of bounds by a few feet is easy to do in that area.  The bass fishing in these parts has been so good lately there would certainly be no reason to cheat.

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

Take the boats and add them to an artificial reef.

Amen, brother. Like to know how hard the court will hit em'.

I haven't heard of anyone getting busted down here this year. 2 years ago was a different story. There was one day where the coast guard popped 32 boats, 1 boat they got twice. All were around 5 miles out. God forbid you can't catch a bass given 3 miles distance and an entire length of a state to work with. 

2 mins ago, FunkyBunker said:

I haven't heard of anyone getting busted down here this year. 2 years ago was a different story. There was one day where the coast guard popped 32 boats, 1 boat they got twice. All were around 5 miles out. God forbid you can't catch a bass given 3 miles distance and an entire length of a state to work with. 

That's what blows my mind! So much within 3 miles. Are we that glutinous? Even when your fishing, and wallet are at stake?

8 mins ago, lonellr said:

That's what blows my mind! So much within 3 miles. Are we that glutinous? Even when your fishing, and wallet are at stake?

Doesn't make sense, I'm betting cluelessness.

I know, it sounds crazy but some people don't know about the EEZ.

1 min ago, Billybob said:

Doesn't make sense, I'm betting cluelessness.

I know, it sounds crazy but some people don't know about the EEZ.

I can see that as well. Maybe that's why the names weren't released.

Posted (edited)

Here's a hypothetical,  I stop off mtk in state waters catch my stripers. Run off block island to do some fluke and seabass fishing. Get boarded I have the stripers, wham possession of bass in eez. Now I'm not saying that's what happened here, or even that the fisherman are right by my hypothetical statement as the law is about possession, but it may not be a blatant poaching case. I know many people who have done what I stated above and had no idea they broke the law even tho all thier fish were "caught" legally.

Edited by peanutbunkerandjelly

Just now, lonellr said:

I'm not taking that chance, and you're a C&R guy with bass so you don't care because we know that we'll just go another day and hope for the best. It's the failed attempts that kept me going before finally finding some success. 

Really i think the possession in eez is BS. Don't want us to fish for them there, fine. Do your job, patrol the area and bust people actively fishing where they shouldn't.  But the fact I can't catch a fish in one location and then fish somewhere else is BS.