jjdbike

Spiral/Acid wrap guides: pros & cons?

Rate this topic

105 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, hookmeup said:

Brief thread hijack: Does anybody know why it’s called “acid” wrap?

A long time ago, someone, I believe out in California, built a spiral as an experiment, and a friend of his, the story goes, asked him if he was "on acid" when he designed the rod.

And the name stuck. And no, I am not making this up.

? If u pump rod while fighting a fish on a conventional guide set up , does the rod unload each time u down stroke ? If it does then the spiral wrap I assume does as well . Anyone ? 

1 hour ago, Capt. Lou said:

? If u pump rod while fighting a fish on a conventional guide set up , does the rod unload each time u down stroke ? If it does then the spiral wrap I assume does as well . Anyone ? 

The rod loads and unloads...not the guides...it would load and unload if you just tied a string to the top and pulled on it :)

TimS

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 8/20/2018 at 0:36 PM, Slacker said:

I have fished both acid wrapped and conventional.  Any advantage gained by acid wrapping is negated by having to explain why the guides are "screwed up" to three different guys every time you get on a party boat.

That and if you are a rod locker harpooner.....you need to adjust your approach.

Edited by scoobydoo

On 7/30/2018 at 8:15 AM, PhilCVG said:

Are you saying a conventional cannot be built so that the line doesn't touch the blank under a load? 

Cause that is false. 

I would agree with your analysis having built conventional from split bamboo in another time to Glass and Graphite . I had a friend build a spiral wrap rod a number of years ago for one of my sea bass rods and unlike the same rod done straight the rod does not  twist under load[fighting a fish ]  It looks sort of different when using it, but in the end does it really matter it is your rod and your the one who has decided to experiment with some thing different . One does not need to be arguing about nonsense when the only one using it is you, for what ever reason. If others want to give it a try , then you can assist in the process generally speaking to help . It is a shame when ever some one attempts to do something that is not normal we get these negative comments . We all can learn something by actually building what ever and giving it a try then every one can now speak with some authority as to how good it is in reality for the use you plan to give it. :howdy::theman:

I would also say that when doing up a conventional rod of any lentgh that if the rod is spined 100 percent correct, you should not get any twisting in the rod under load as you fight a fish to begin with. Some blanks may be harder to spine then others it all depends on how you spine the rod blank upon starting the build . 

Edited by Angler #1
add

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

I would also say that when doing up a conventional rod of any lentgh that if the rod is spined 100 percent correct, you should not get any twisting in the rod under load

This is 100% false. THat is why people spiral wrpa to begin with, the old timers who made this inacurracy a "fact", is why people do not believe what they hear from rod builders. All you have to do is fish any rod with guides straight and pull hard on it, once it gets past a certain point where the blank cannot handle teh line wanting to get to teh lowest point below the blank, it rolls over. 100% of the time regardless of teh spine. THe only rods which will stay stable under load are those with a gimbal. Even them, the line is seeking the lowest point and wants to roll over. Physics are more proof than rod builders fantasies

4 hours ago, Belmo said:

A long time ago, someone, I believe out in California, built a spiral as an experiment, and a friend of his, the story goes, asked him if he was "on acid" when he designed the rod.

And the name stuck. And no, I am not making this up.

This is how it got it's name, teh gyuys name was "Akuhead" from teh old **** forum and then sunor Tuna & Bloodydicks. His real life name is Jim Racela, and his nickname resulted in Colleen & MArk GRiffen (C&M Tackle) naming their rod building business ****

22 hours ago, hookmeup said:

Brief thread hijack: Does anybody know why it’s called “acid” wrap?

Just in case a separate thread gets started for hijacks, here's mine:

Why do they call the spine the plane through which the blank bends the most for any given amount of load applied to it? Spine implies stiffness, they should call the softest orientation of the blank the noodle, the noodle plane, or something similar- anything but the spine. Yes?

Edited by woodbutcher

Another question, why do people think that the spine is always straight on a blank?  If you find the spine several different ways, you may find different orientations.

Also, why is the sky blue?

:D

9 hours ago, Slappy said:

Another question, why do people think that the spine is always straight on a blank?  If you find the spine several different ways, you may find different orientations.

Also, why is the sky blue?

Screenshot_20180821-194323_Google.jpg

Edited by CDubbs

15 hours ago, CDubbs said:

:D

Screenshot_20180821-194323_Google.jpg

I am in a boring asbestos class but this post made me laugh. 

Edited by The Riddler

Black Hole USA is one of the first rod companies who introduced spiral wrapped rods.  

We sell spiral rods as many as regular conventional rods now. 

fighting a giant using custom Black Hole Giant acid wrapped rod in PEI.

bhgiantpei1.jpg

bhgiantpei2.jpg

6 hours ago, ksong said:

Black Hole USA is one of the first rod companies who introduced spiral wrapped rods.  

Why yes, of course they were. Could any sane man think otherwise?