chitala383

Cow Nose Ray

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

Keep your posts on topic - nobody gets to decide a thread should be locked by forum leaders. If you don’t want to discuss the topic, stay out of the thread. And the personal crap doesn’t belong in this forum. 

TimS

2 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Which is cool.

Bowfishing a population into extinction is not.

Technically it would be extirpation, not extinction.   

So a guy starts a thread asking how to quickly dispose of the ray to put it out of its misery so he can properly clean and cook it and that opens up HIS thread up for people to say he's wrong?  Go take your twigs and berries and start your own friggin thread about why its wrong and leave his alone. 

4 mins ago, fishless said:

So a guy starts a thread asking how to quickly dispose of the ray to put it out of its misery so he can properly clean and cook it and that opens up HIS thread up for people to say he's wrong?  Go take your twigs and berries and start your own friggin thread about why its wrong and leave his alone. 

We moved past that a long time ago - and his question has been very thoroughly and the thoughtfully answered :th: 

Then it became a thread where one guu said they should be exterminated because they were eating the shellfish - another guy explained some research that showed it was untrue - and another guy objected to killing them with a bow for sport unless you were gonna eat them. A point I agree with 100% - there are few things dumber than killing a ton of fish to let them rot.

It was the personal stuff, mostly now removed, that was inappropriate.

TimS

14 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

The biggest threat to blue crabs and oysters is not rays, it is over exploitation by humans.

Rays have always predated on bivalves and crustaceans, what they are doing now is what they have been doing for thousands of years. Blaming them for decimating the population of blue crabs and oysters when it is actually humans who are to blame is woefully ignorant.

Remember, what seems like massive numbers of cownosed rays are really almost the entire ray population for that area of the Atlantic coast; they funnel into the bay in order to breed. Considering that a mature cow nosed female only gives birth to one pup a year, the cow nosed rays are in no way even close to exploding in population.

You want to promote bowfishing for rays too, how extraordinarily ignorant of you to do so. When ray populations drop, guess what sharks will replace them with? More striped bass will be on the diet for Mr. Shark. I have never met an ethical bowfisher either, the activity attracts the worst of society and you end up with over exploitation of everything and anything that exists, poaching will abound, and carcasses of dead unwanted fish of all types will liter the boat ramps and shores. Of course you will claim your buddy is a stand up guy, all I have to say is look at yourself and tell me your word means anything.

People like you should never be allowed to fish due to how uneducated you are regarding the ecosystem. People like you are always ready to blame wildlife for the lack of foresight by humans.

You speak of saving the bay by butchering rays in a whole sale slaughter; that would not be good for the bay. Cause one imbalance in nature and watch as more and more imbalances show their heads. I guess the plan would be to kill all those creatures off too, right? I guess your plan is to ensure that the bay dies, right? Kill everything off that you don't like, right?

Note: I am not, nor ever was, opposed to harvesting rays or any other fish, but selective and responsible harvest is necessary. POS's like this fool should be sent to England for the rest of their lives that way they can enjoy what over exploitation of all your inshore SW species leads too by having the privilege of fishing for gurnard for the rest of his life; his bow fishing buddy can go with him (I doubt he would find anything to shoot over there, but he can try).

No where in my post promote boy fishing or say others should start I don’t bowfish never had it was fotage of a guy I went to school with doing what is allowed by law to call someone a POS or name call because you don’t like what they post is childish 31B4131C-E35E-4FCC-AD95-8295EEFD4353.png.2975df2c7cc7b34a097abe008e46a9e1.pngI did find several articals saying the same thing oysters are not their main food source but will feed on, intensive feeding Chesapeake waterman “plant” oyster beds and when a pack of rays come through will wipe it out. I agree humans are the biggest problem to oysters, crabs and many other species.