golden

Funny Fish 2018

Rate this topic

619 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, striperblues said:

SP and Riddler, thought for sure you both would have killed it today after yesterday. A buddy of mine was out by you SP and reported very quiet at 8am, I couldn't believe it. Wonder if they moved hard west or high tailed south. Riddler, were you off Cape? Looked like a gorgeous day for albies. Good effort, better than mine as I had family obligations. 

No, I launched out of Barn Island and Fished All Of Fishers, Watch Hill, All The Reefs.

Hoping today wasn't one last one for the road (it'll be a week - with cold weather in between - before I get out there again)...but if it was, it least it ended well

albie release2.jpg

Edited by albacized

19 hours ago, albacized said:

Hoping today wasn't one last one for the road (it'll be a week - with cold weather in between - before I get out there again)...but if it was, it least it ended well

albie release2.jpg

Nice going Rich!

I was pissed at work today seeing no wind till 11. I would gave taken the day off for another chance if the darn perdictions were for that and not the south they called for last night. They were there too and no one there. 

Nice to hear there's still a good volume of fisn on the Cape.  Too bad the weather is what it is for the next few days and beyond.

I hit Montauk with a buddy yesterday.  There were a lot of albies there, but they were challenging.  The fly guys were doing very well at first.  After experimenting with retrieves I found a very slow one got the job done.  No crazy numbers but it was nice to "crack the code" a bit and have success there after.

I did notice the boats there were WAY better behave than what I've seen in the Cape this season, which was a nice change of pace.  It feels like that may have been the last albie adventure of the season...I hope I'm wrong, but the short days and dramatic turn in weather will have things changing on a daily basis....which I doubt will have more ablies showing up ;)

Anyone up for snow-bacore fishing? Outside shot at accumulating snowstorm/noreaster in long range forecast. If any albies are still around as we approach Halloween, inland fishermen may be firing up the snowblower to clear driveway before heading out to the coast.

stormy.png.cc6c1b323549112189be6fef11551e15.png

Pic shows classic winter trof along east coast, with Greenland ridge (block) set up our east. Any artic energy racing south along edge of trof should fire into storm that heads our way. 

Looking at history, very stormy Halloweens are perhaps more the norm, than outliers: Snowtober 2011, perfect storm, Sandy, windstorm last year, etc

Wow what a wild night that Halloween blizzard was, 2011?

I was on call for small private water and wastewater plants. 

Virtually every one called out.

Driving around the downed lines and fallen trees, had huge branches crash down on the road in billowing clouds of snow both in front and behind. 

The one in front too big, drag aside one in rear, turn back for new route....

All night long.

Found them last Sunday in buzzards bay but haven't been out since so I can't say for sure. Maybe someone else can chime in but it's getting to fat lady time soon for sure. The wind is my main issue. Kept me from making the run in my small boat this week.

Still good reports out there....just looking for that window with wind.

Some decent cod reports off Newport if all fails. Pays to have those bucktails and gulp on board ready to use.

Cooling down fast.

East to West, ~ave loss:

Mid Ack sound -4°

5bcac29fd01c6_plot_met(22).png.852a4926c2a1b6fb42187e270ffb62b4.png

Waquoit -6°

plot_ocean.png.18d283aea084ce9ab44ec1f8060519d3.png

Woods Hole -5°

5bcac2b094c47_plot_met(23).png.a4dc8d9e9a9e33db13759ef65a2ab65a.png

Mid LIS -3°

5bcac2b944a0a_plot_met(26).png.6a67bdd2f6e919e8f4c10aa9eb655dad.png

Edited by rst3

Yup with this wind I doubt I’ll be able to get out to search before they have left the building in my neck of the woods. Time to look for one  last decent bass. 

Got out of the wind and switched from bass to albacore. Found one suspect school at looong range.

20181020_112524.jpg.9b1154dea9d5ba991de554eaa7c95917.jpg

No confirmation but the fish were moving fast, so there's that. Nothing spotted in close to shore. No hits no fish. Chovies in range though

Edit.

Good news: saw a pod.

Bad news: missed shot. Haven't resurfaced 15min. Pod looked like picky jerk mode.

+/-

Edited by rst3