golden

Funny Fish 2018

Rate this topic

619 posts in this topic

32 mins ago, Roostahfish said:

Interesting....I do love bluefish so maybe I shouldn't be so hasty.  

Perhaps the next one that doesn't look like it's going to make from being hooked deep will end up in the cooler.

Based on the overcooked comment, do you serve them medium rare/rare like tuna?

I cook it thru until it just flakes.

The comment about using soy sauce....(or any other flavored marinades)....that's just going to try and mask the fish flavor.

But by soaking fillet in OJ, the citrus has a way of neutralizing certain sour elements of this fish meat, I can't explain it, no expert, but it works!

And I can't speak strongly enough about cutting away the soft dark mushy red meat...that's a whole core of the fish around the spine.

Whereas, the back loin meat is firm, you can tell when cutting it. You can get a pretty large amount of the quality meat off, but expect to toss about a third from what you may be use too for other species.

And some albies are better than others, more or less of the good stuff.

sounds like a lot of people catch em blind casting which has me thinking, hasanyone caught an albie at night? i know they feed by sight but plenty of fish feed at night and i'm assuming they are seeing the bait they eat. is it becuase albies only use sight and not smell, lat line, etc as effectively as other fish and their eyesight isn't made for night time?

43 mins ago, Wicked-Fly said:

sounds like a lot of people catch em blind casting which has me thinking, hasanyone caught an albie at night? i know they feed by sight but plenty of fish feed at night and i'm assuming they are seeing the bait they eat. is it becuase albies only use sight and not smell, lat line, etc as effectively as other fish and their eyesight isn't made for night time?

They may eat under a full moon

54 mins ago, Wicked-Fly said:

I have a buddy who got one at night while bass fishing....but that's the only one I've heard of being caught in the dark.

2 hours ago, fishinbill said:

I take it as a positive that albies don't taste that good. Hopefully, that will mean less pressure on the population.

I'll bet you would be surprised to know how many C&R don't make it either......some years ago, I heard of a divers report off Craigville beach who said they saw  hundreds of albies dead on the bottom.....

1 min ago, FishRatz said:

I heard of a divers report off Craigville beach who said they saw  hundreds of albies dead on the bottom.....

I'm calling BS on this.   Hundreds?!!!!!    Nope!   Hundreds!    :laugh:

Thats a report I 'heard'....so don't knock me on it.  But even if its 10% of reality. ..?..

The truth is...albies don't always make it like you might think.

Probably more albies die C&R  than those few fisherman (like me) who occasionally keep one to eat!

And , trying not to knock a good derby around......the MV Derby probably tosses all albies out to trash as well...or to lobster bait, my point is...they die, not back to the sea swimming.

That wouldn't surprise me in the least.  I had someone tell me something similar about Watch Hill.  That a diver said the bottom was littered with them.

Kinda of makes sense.  They're closely related to mackerel.  While mackerel are hard fighters/swimmers for their size they're actually quite fragile.  Even when a schoolie bass takes one pop on a livelined mack they typically die.  So I could see albies being having a high mortality rate.  

4 hours ago, Roostahfish said:

Interesting....I do love bluefish so maybe I shouldn't be so hasty.  

Perhaps the next one that doesn't look like it's going to make from being hooked deep will end up in the cooler.

Based on the overcooked comment, do you serve them medium rare/rare like tuna?

no, I very lightly pan sear them on both sides   15-20 seconds or serve as sashimi/ sushi

3 hours ago, Wicked-Fly said:

I like to arrive in the dark at my albie spots.

Goes back to when I would fish stripers till first light, then switch. 

I never one time hooked an albie in the dark.

Sometimes they'd hit in grey first light but never dark.

2 hours ago, FishRatz said:

Thats a report I 'heard'....so don't knock me on it.  But even if its 10% of reality. ..?..

The truth is...albies don't always make it like you might think.

Probably more albies die C&R  than those few fisherman (like me) who occasionally keep one to eat!

And , trying not to knock a good derby around......the MV Derby probably tosses all albies out to trash as well...or to lobster bait, my point is...they die, not back to the sea swimming.

2 hours ago, FishRatz said:

If a fisherman weighs in an albie in the MV Derby, it is handed back to him, with the tail snipped to show it was weighed in, and it's up to the fisherman to dispose of it. They are not used for the Derby's filet program as are the other species. Most are thrown into the water around the dock of the weigh in station because most people consider them inedible. Since the fish are trashed and considered inedible by most, the Derby has a rule that only 3 measurable albies can be weighed in by one person throughout the Derby time period, thereby lessening the number of albies  killed. And, yes, I've seen many albies released in very poor condition by fishermen keeping them out of the water too long for photos or deep hooking them. Very sad to see this beautiful fish swim off spurting blood all the way:(

3 hours ago, mikez2 said:

I like to arrive in the dark at my albie spots.

Goes back to when I would fish stripers till first light, then switch. 

I never one time hooked an albie in the dark.

Sometimes they'd hit in grey first light but never dark.

Yeah. I do the same. They seem less picky right at dawn..