golden

Funny Fish 2018

Rate this topic

619 posts in this topic

My day Sunday was crystal clear water, maybe 10ft deep max, and glassy smooth.

Fish busting everywhere...for 2 hours, including slamming the hull, none hooked up by me, or 10 boats around me....fly fishing as well.

(well except for the one I tossed directly into its mouth got hooked..and lost)

Finally had the weekend I was looking for.  Luckily a friend with a house in the cape decided we should do a little Boys Weekend, so had 2 boats and 4 anglers out on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Friday's weather was rough, but I knew it would get the fish in the right mood so I welcomed the rain and wind.  We managed to land 10 albies and a kingfish in my boat...a new best!  My buddy's boat landed 13 or 15...can't exactly remember.  Spirits were high after this adventure...though I figured with Saturday being better weather...and it being Saturday it was going to be a tougher day with wayyy more boats.

I love it when I'm wrong!  We fished all over the place and had fish to ourselves for hours.  Managed to, yet again, set a new boat record with 12 fish landed and I'd guess just as many lost.  5 were landed on the fly.  Also landed my biggest ever on a 12# leader.  This fish pulled out ever move in the book and had me running all over the boat.  It even managed to pin the rod into the engine and all I could envision was my favorite rod snapping and losing the fish....but managed to get it all free and eventually got my paws on a 27"er.  Super stoked to say the least!  My buddy managed to land 19 on his boat before the day was done.  Outstanding!!

Sunday we figured we'd go for a repeat on the fishing agenda, but such as is albie fishing, the fish were not nearly as cooperative on Sunday.  I was solo and managed to go 2 for 6 while my buddy went 0 for 3.  

The last albie I landed was right near the jetty where I landed my first albie ever 6 years ago.  IF that turns out to be my last albie of the season it seems like a fitting way to end up.  Though I have a feeling there's more than one trip left before they're gone.

Thanks to everyone here for their contributions and support in this maddening game.  Per usual, the Albie Gods have rekindled the fire that was slowly getting snuffed out by challenging fishing over the past few weekends.

3 hours ago, FishRatz said:

My day Sunday was crystal clear water, maybe 10ft deep max, and glassy smooth.

Fish busting everywhere...for 2 hours, including slamming the hull, none hooked up by me, or 10 boats around me....fly fishing as well.

(well except for the one I tossed directly into its mouth got hooked..and lost)

Been there, sucks. Sometimes the skipping or air metal technique can work. Not all the time but it's an option.

1 hour ago, Fish Monkey said:

Double digits today! Before today, the most albies I've ever caught in a day was 1.

IMG_1379.jpg

Congrats!! I know the feeling and it's a hard one to top after having a day with such good action.

Last weekend I fished 2 days and only hooked one, which I lost.  

3 mins ago, bob_G said:

Just curious, do you guys eat these fish?

Never have, due to cat food reputation.

Will be on a boat tomorrow and planning on keeping one (so long as I catch one to keep)

Want to see for myself how these fish eat if bled and iced and prepared properly 

Personally I don't.  I keep hearing if you bleed, ice, soak in orange juice, etc, etc, that they're not bad.  But in my opinion if you have to do that much stuff to it, is it really that good?

Despite what some others will say about it, I think its GREAT!

Iced down, and cooked & eaten the same day, its awesome!

I took a suggestion from a RI fisherman, cut away all the dark soft red mushy meat, keep the firm iridescent back loins, then soak in orange juice for about 30 min, toss it directly on the grill.

Next day the leftovers are just ok....better eaten on the day of catch.....after that , toss to the dogs!

Something about the way it releases oils the next day is just not right.

You have to first ask yourself, "Do you like bluefish?"

If answer is NO,.... move along...nothing to read here.....

Albie tastes like "fish" and there are folks who just don't like that...about their fish.....go figure???

Personally I have not eaten anything from the sea I don't like....except welk...

aLBIE-2.jpg

Edited by FishRatz

28 mins ago, bob_G said:

Just curious, do you guys eat these fish?

Nope, just love the explosion on top as you reel in as fast as possible, followed by a screaming drag and line zipping left and right quicker than you can anticipate. You ever fish for them? Nice change of pace from chasing stripers all summer.

My buddy kept 1 last weekend despite my telling him it sucked. Bled instantly and then put in saltwater/ice brine. Tried some grilled with a teriyaki marinade that evening.. Barely edible to all who tried. A small bluefish would be much better to me. But to each their own. I'll just take the screaming drag runs and laps around the boat myself.

11 hours ago, Chris76 said:

My buddy kept 1 last weekend despite my telling him it sucked. Bled instantly and then put in saltwater/ice brine. Tried some grilled with a teriyaki marinade that evening.. Barely edible to all who tried. A small bluefish would be much better to me. But to each their own. I'll just take the screaming drag runs and laps around the boat myself.

overcooked

Interesting....I do love bluefish so maybe I shouldn't be so hasty.  

Perhaps the next one that doesn't look like it's going to make from being hooked deep will end up in the cooler.

Based on the overcooked comment, do you serve them medium rare/rare like tuna?