Funny Fish 2018

Rate this topic

golden

Got my ass handed to me in a washing machine of a rip yesterday, that's where the fish were though. Winds were nasty and the rain soaked through rain gear withing 1/2 hour. But, it was worth it, had a PB day with the albies. Again, no pictures because I didn't want to pull my phone out in the crap.

Embrace American Privilege

interesting day today... a nice day in general.  took a long walk along the beach to a local inlet.  lots of birds working pods out of casting distance.  every half hour or so one would drift in range for a few casts.  here’s the interesting part... all the pods looked the same from shore... no real surface action aside from the tightly swarming birds.  one time it was albies (and decent sized in the 8-10 lb range), all the other times it was either 3-4 lb bluefish or shad - LOTs of shad.  anybody else running into these shad ?

F13A8ACB-EDA3-421A-8050-C60EE8570853.jpeg

Tale of 2 days today. Out deep at sunrise there were fish everywhere. You could hit them in the head and they would not take anything. They were slurping anchovies off the surface and in the past when that occurs they are so dam fussy I might as well go home. Wind picked up so I headed in towards shore hoping the fish would filter in. Low and behold they did in a decent amount and for an hour and a half with a good chop on the water and only like 3 total boats in a usually ridiculous crowded area they finally ate if you got on a pod and followed them around till you presented the right cast. You could motor around cause it was a ghost town. As soon as that wind died and it was flat calm and several more boats stumbled on to the fish the bite died. In by noon. Very satisfying cause I figured it would be a big goose egg today at the start. Of course a nap is needed by my crew after an early morning of fishing. 

DDDD513B-019D-4458-A6D1-A9116B708BBE.jpeg

what's the secret word for tonight

3 hours ago, Steel Pulse said:

You could hit them in the head and they would not take anything. They were slurping anchovies off the surface and in the past when that occurs they are so dam fussy I might as well go home. Very satisfying cause I figured it would be a big goose egg 

I put some miles in today, finally found fish miday back close to home.

Albie pods were numerous, at times surrounded up to the hull. I could have netted them easier than the presentations I sent them. Epoxy, Albie sanx, MacDaddy, ...in every size & color, and every opportunity ALL subbed!!!... until I finally shot one directly into it's mouth.... seriously happened...

Nothing landed...he spooled off half my reel capacity, so I tried to turn him, tighten the drag a bit. Snap!

I had switched my game to total ultralight, 10# floro leader...not good long distance fighting setup.

The pods surfaced for hours... wishing I had tried to  film it underwater! 

Never seen Albie's that picky before.

Nearing the end of blitzing, I unexpectedly hooked up dinner with the same best Epoxy jig...landing on the 10#... taking my time with this 34".

More schoolies and bluefish got into the fray and Albert went on his way.

Great Fall day to be out!

So, besides going ultralight leader, what is the next options for these super picky guys?

KIMG0126.JPG

FR, 

THAT can be *so* @#$%^ frustrating!  Sometimes I've gone to fly fishing and *still* got snubbed.

GRRRRRRR

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

Fished hard this weekend from state to state...weekends are hard with the traffic man...some of the boaters are ****ing brutal. Had to get agressive to get some...Got a few yesterday and a few today but if you can take some time off from work during the week would be a good bet to get some numbers.

4B5B5FA0-C0BE-4BDE-A785-82EB8E38DB9E.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

Tough weekend - one hookup each day of the weekend - one yesterday in MA (which was lost) and one today in RI (caught - see pic)Both fish hooked on albie snax...yesterday had other action with bass and blues, while today was brutal until I caught the one albie in the late afternoon...I have a 5 day weekend coming up next weekend and still trying to decide where to focus

albiesnax2018.jpg

Edited by albacized

2 hours ago, FishRatz said:

So, besides going ultralight leader, what is the next options for these super picky guys?

KIMG0126.JPG

I don’t bother with going that light. 20/20 is what I use

and I even use a small snap too. Every time I do go that  light I end up breaking off. IMO and just an opinion  it’s all about the cast. Has to be perfect and presented in the right direction as they move. Thing that saved me today was there were hardly any boats around and I was able to stay on the pod slowly as it moved along casting as we went. Followed a few pods for at least  a quarter mile today before I finally presented the lure correctly and it was eaten. Super satisfying day to get several when they are so damn fussy. 

what's the secret word for tonight