golden

Funny Fish 2018

345 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 min ago, romas said:

Been there lol. Ive launched once from bass river and went around MV burned 90 gallons of gas chased small pods all day and only had two hook ups and 0 fish landed :banghd:

We all have, man. Anyone who says they haven’t is either full of it, short on experience, or just plain lucky. 

Edited by Seadogg

Marine forecast for 2-3 ft seas what a joke...flat calm out there, new fav albie lure “snax” they catch and cast amazing for a soft plastic. 

421F2D78-A3A5-4E33-9674-0395AAB8FD3D.jpeg

On 9/14/2018 at 9:48 AM, nicknotsebastian said:

agree.  i’d call them “fairly finiky” but seem to be something you can figure out.  in my 20 +/- years of at least 2-3 “good albie days” a year (from shore) i can’t think of a time i wasn't casting a 14-28g jig.  if i was “hitting the pods” and not getting hits, i’d just keep changing colours til i did.  point being, for me, it seems like they’d hit “as much as always” eventually - it was just a matter of finding the right colour.

I think blue/silver has caught more shore albies for me since I started fishing for them, whether a maria or hogy jig.  I've also caught them on a variety of others, including albie snax, fin-s fish, pline jigs, ddicks, and diff hogy colors, etc... But the blue/silver i have the highest confidence.

Over 4 hours, sporadic pods, a few blowups, finally one eats.... It's a good day!

AlbieWH3_091518 (2).jpg

Had a great weekend overall.  

Got OTW Friday afternoon to do some scouting for the weekend.  Found a nice pod of fish - all alone - and managed 2 bites and landed one, which was on the lightest rod in the quiver....always a treat.  

From there ran all over the place till sundown without seeing anything else - so at least had a plan for Saturday AM.

Ended up playing in a fleet for a while, but everyone was pretty well behaved.  We managed to get 3 to the boat and lost about that many before it seemed to quiet down.  So back to the hunt.

Explored some new water over on the Vineyard for the afternoon.  Found fish pretty much everywhere we went....and PLENTY of boats.  It really got to me by the end of the day.  After patiently working some fish by ourselves and getting them dialed in, we got mobbed.  Left them pushing bait all over the surface to so everyone could cast over each other.  Too bad since there were some bruisers in the mix.  My buddy got one that may have been the biggest albie I've ever seen.

Yesterday was a bust....only saw a few swirls and had just one bump a jig.  Decided to call it after the morning tide and made the long ride home.

Overall a great weekend to get the juices flowing.  These fish have proven, once again, to be a pain in the A$$, drive me nuts, and leave me wanting MORE!

Hopefully we're just getting warmed up!

On 9/15/2018 at 2:08 PM, golden said:

Over 4 hours, sporadic pods, a few blowups, finally one eats.... It's a good day!

AlbieWH3_091518 (2).jpg

I haven't tried that spot yet this season... struck out at my rhody rocks this weekend... 

Wed and Fri were great. Saturday and Sunday tough sledding. 14 hours 600 casts 5 hooked fish. 1 I touched. Few days off back at it mid week. 

1 hour ago, Roostahfish said:

Had a great weekend overall.  

Got OTW Friday afternoon to do some scouting for the weekend.  Found a nice pod of fish - all alone - and managed 2 bites and landed one, which was on the lightest rod in the quiver....always a treat.  

From there ran all over the place till sundown without seeing anything else - so at least had a plan for Saturday AM.

Ended up playing in a fleet for a while, but everyone was pretty well behaved.  We managed to get 3 to the boat and lost about that many before it seemed to quiet down.  So back to the hunt.

Explored some new water over on the Vineyard for the afternoon.  Found fish pretty much everywhere we went....and PLENTY of boats.  It really got to me by the end of the day.  After patiently working some fish by ourselves and getting them dialed in, we got mobbed.  Left them pushing bait all over the surface to so everyone could cast over each other.  Too bad since there were some bruisers in the mix.  My buddy got one that may have been the biggest albie I've ever seen.

Yesterday was a bust....only saw a few swirls and had just one bump a jig.  Decided to call it after the morning tide and made the long ride home.

Overall a great weekend to get the juices flowing.  These fish have proven, once again, to be a pain in the A$$, drive me nuts, and leave me wanting MORE!

Hopefully we're just getting warmed up!

Was out Saturday with two buddies as well and agreed for the most party everyone in the fleet was very well behaved in the morning, which was great. WIsh more days were like that. Guess it depends on the fish as they seemed to be pretty spread out. Can't speak for how it went after it slowed down at slack as I had to get dropped off.

On 9/15/2018 at 11:10 AM, Joppa said:

Marine forecast for 2-3 ft seas what a joke...flat calm out there, new fav albie lure “snax” they catch and cast amazing for a soft plastic. 

421F2D78-A3A5-4E33-9674-0395AAB8FD3D.jpeg

My area was on fire last week, but it’s pretty much dead now except for a few small, random pods. Still managing to get one or two a day between jobs throughout the bay, but I’ve lost interest in the searching and chasing. Waiting for the next surge. I have a feeling some cool weather and NE winds will kick it back into gear. 

AA8EE61B-A43D-4490-B288-069706801E62.jpeg

56854172-EB37-4F49-9BBC-48E785972B01.jpeg

B159F41E-39E5-4508-9991-7D27DFF525C8.jpeg

I entered an Albie Shootout(shore category) this weekend and could not hook up. Turns out nobody else could either(boat, kayak, shore, or fly); out of 30 entrants, only one person caught fish(2).

Not all bad news though, I won a YETI 35.

@Seadogg Hope you are right. Nice fish, neighbor.

Edited by Moo5e
Maybe broke the rules, fixed it.