IsmailG

Costa Rica surf casting

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

On 7/11/2018 at 8:18 AM, KironaFly said:

Along with good fishing & surfing ... they Do have Crocodiles in Costa Rica ... you know Alligators that swim in the salt. 

What lures would you recommend for the gators? ;) 

I was there for a week and it was one of my best vacations ever.  I stayed in three places on the Pacific coast.

The fishing...

First stop was Los Suenos...I found a well equipped tackle store not more than a mile from the resort I was staying at.  I brought a spinning lure and too much tackle along with me.  I bought a 9' ugly stick surf rod for $100...overpriced but I didn't feel like buying a travel rod and traveling with it.  It was perfect for the surf fishing I was doing.  Bought a red/white popper and a lure that looks like a white Roberts Rangers.  I fished this beach a number of times with not even a bump.  I saw other fishermen too and didn't see anyone with anything.

001.JPG.c49ea792df1e51937b50b1beb7616129.JPG

After a few days, moved to Quepos which was about an hour and a half south along the coast.  Took an offshore charter for a day...about $900 before a tip.  Not the fastest boat but it got us there, approximately 20 miles from shore.  Fished with mostly rigged ballyhoo and a few lures and teasers were part of the spread.  We had a few bites from sailfish and I saw a few jumping out of the water.  Finally hooked up with a sailfish and I got to reel it in.  The aerial displays were fun to watch.  It was a good fight but nowhere near as strong as a tuna fight.  Got the fish to the boat and the captain instructed me to get ready for the picture.  He only wanted the fish out of the water for a few seconds.

168.JPG.b44c0821cc0235078f21b2b759814037.JPG

We trolled around some more with not many more bites.  The captain got a call on the radio that the mahi were biting 4 miles away.  We pulled everything out of the water and headed that way.  By the time we got there, at least six other boats were trolling and some were hooked up.  Big mahi were just jumping out of the water.  It was great to watch.  We took turns, boated two, and then I got another shot at getting another fish.  This fish fought harder than the sailfish.227.JPG.613cb974a316ef8c067fde1b13135ab6.JPG

We proceeded to troll some more and lost a few more fish.  The bite started to die out so we trolled some more for sailfish.  November is at the end of the rainy season and we got rained on!  The wind was blowing sideways with not much place for cover.  We finally just told the captain to call it a day and head for the marina.

The next day we did an inshore trip for roosterfish and whatever would tug on the line; approximately $400 before tip.  We went out no more than a mile offshore and headed south about 3 or 4 miles.  We trolled with what look like pinfish over structure.  The deckhand said the spanish name is similar to "look down" fish?  These guys did not seem like the sharpest fishermen but were recommended by the offshore "arranger" from the day before.  We proceeded to get a few bites and lost both fish.  We finally hooked up with one and I got to fight it.  The quality of their fishing gear was not the greatest and would cost me a fish.  The roosterfish put up a great fight, diving down away from the boat whenever I got him close.  I finally got him to the boat and the swivel broke as the mate was landing the fish.

345.JPG.d9f5ad28d78b491883c2dfa80cf567c0.JPG

We moved on to Playa Hermosa next, which was an hour back north, and I surf fished for a number of times with not much luck.  To be fair, I did not go there solely to fish so I wasn't devoting a lot of time to just fishing.  Beautiful peaceful community with strong surf the whole time I was there.411.JPG.29455d00e7d5bfc5de2f4428ea221209.JPG

If you ever get the chance to go to Costa Rica, do it.  A fantastic country, people, food and drink.  You can go as expensive or as cheap as you want.  I stayed in very nice places and it really wasn't too bad except for the first couple of nights at the Marriott.  We are already talking about next year!

20 mins ago, splions said:

I was there for a week and it was one of my best vacations ever.  I stayed in three places on the Pacific coast.

The fishing...

First stop was Los Suenos...I found a well equipped tackle store not more than a mile from the resort I was staying at.  I brought a spinning lure and too much tackle along with me.  I bought a 9' ugly stick surf rod for $100...overpriced but I didn't feel like buying a travel rod and traveling with it.  It was perfect for the surf fishing I was doing.  Bought a red/white popper and a lure that looks like a white Roberts Rangers.  I fished this beach a number of times with not even a bump.  I saw other fishermen too and didn't see anyone with anything.

001.JPG.c49ea792df1e51937b50b1beb7616129.JPG

After a few days, moved to Quepos which was about an hour and a half south along the coast.  Took an offshore charter for a day...about $900 before a tip.  Not the fastest boat but it got us there, approximately 20 miles from shore.  Fished with mostly rigged ballyhoo and a few lures and teasers were part of the spread.  We had a few bites from sailfish and I saw a few jumping out of the water.  Finally hooked up with a sailfish and I got to reel it in.  The aerial displays were fun to watch.  It was a good fight but nowhere near as strong as a tuna fight.  Got the fish to the boat and the captain instructed me to get ready for the picture.  He only wanted the fish out of the water for a few seconds.

168.JPG.b44c0821cc0235078f21b2b759814037.JPG

We trolled around some more with not many more bites.  The captain got a call on the radio that the mahi were biting 4 miles away.  We pulled everything out of the water and headed that way.  By the time we got there, at least six other boats were trolling and some were hooked up.  Big mahi were just jumping out of the water.  It was great to watch.  We took turns, boated two, and then I got another shot at getting another fish.  This fish fought harder than the sailfish.227.JPG.613cb974a316ef8c067fde1b13135ab6.JPG

We proceeded to troll some more and lost a few more fish.  The bite started to die out so we trolled some more for sailfish.  November is at the end of the rainy season and we got rained on!  The wind was blowing sideways with not much place for cover.  We finally just told the captain to call it a day and head for the marina.

The next day we did an inshore trip for roosterfish and whatever would tug on the line; approximately $400 before tip.  We went out no more than a mile offshore and headed south about 3 or 4 miles.  We trolled with what look like pinfish over structure.  The deckhand said the spanish name is similar to "look down" fish?  These guys did not seem like the sharpest fishermen but were recommended by the offshore "arranger" from the day before.  We proceeded to get a few bites and lost both fish.  We finally hooked up with one and I got to fight it.  The quality of their fishing gear was not the greatest and would cost me a fish.  The roosterfish put up a great fight, diving down away from the boat whenever I got him close.  I finally got him to the boat and the swivel broke as the mate was landing the fish.

345.JPG.d9f5ad28d78b491883c2dfa80cf567c0.JPG

We moved on to Playa Hermosa next, which was an hour back north, and I surf fished for a number of times with not much luck.  To be fair, I did not go there solely to fish so I wasn't devoting a lot of time to just fishing.  Beautiful peaceful community with strong surf the whole time I was there.411.JPG.29455d00e7d5bfc5de2f4428ea221209.JPG

If you ever get the chance to go to Costa Rica, do it.  A fantastic country, people, food and drink.  You can go as expensive or as cheap as you want.  I stayed in very nice places and it really wasn't too bad except for the first couple of nights at the Marriott.  We are already talking about next year!

Great review.  I had a similar experience.  Their gear was so beat up i left everything I had with me.   They needed it more than me and took things I didn’t mind losing.  The fishing was great but the people and culture along with the beauty and diversity of climate and landscape was fantastic.  And the adventure excursions were the best I have had in any country.