Vsy

Report of the july 7th 2018 at the canal

Rate this topic

124 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 mins ago, snookster said:

OMG, I survived spankings, cars without seat belts, drinking out of garden hoses and even … fishing with swimming plugs with 3 sets of treble hooks on them! And I managed to come out of it all unscathed!

You sound like you need help with your fishing skills. 86 2 of those trebles and see how you make out.

Edited by GuiltyAsCharged

6 hours ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

You sound like you need help with your fishing skills. 86 2 of those trebles and see how you make out.

Are you volunteering? I am always willing to learn. Of course just about anyone who has been striper fishing more than a few years knows that just about all of the old large swimmers of the time came with 3 sets of trebles. I don't think that the trebles really helped much with catching. I think that putting the plugs in the right place at the right time had more to do with success than how many trebles were on the plug. Since the designers of the plugs probably balanced them to perform with the trebles in place, taking two of them off might upset the action somewhat. I often took the back belly hook off and upgraded the size of the two remaining trebles with no apparent loss of action. I look forward in learning how to fish from you.

33 mins ago, snookster said:

Are you volunteering? I am always willing to learn. Of course just about anyone who has been striper fishing more than a few years knows that just about all of the old large swimmers of the time came with 3 sets of trebles. I don't think that the trebles really helped much with catching. I think that putting the plugs in the right place at the right time had more to do with success than how many trebles were on the plug. Since the designers of the plugs probably balanced them to perform with the trebles in place, taking two of them off might upset the action somewhat. I often took the back belly hook off and upgraded the size of the two remaining trebles with no apparent loss of action. I look forward in learning how to fish from you.

Trebles many times present a 'leverage' situation for a thrashing fish. During the twisting and shaking when 2 trebles are pressed against the fishes body and one is embedded in the fish, the two trebles that are not in the fish provide the leverage to help the fish 'throw' the hook where a single hook would have likely remained embedded in the fish. A larger treble hook can help but may effect the casting and action of the lure. Trebles are hung from split rings to help mitigate this since they would hopefully swing with the thrashing rather than provide a leverage point. Typically the treble is the front hook. Rear hooks (many just use flags) consisting of a single dressed siwash hook are very effective and make hook removal as well as fish handling much easier.  Fishing with three trebles is illegal in some states.

10 hours ago, snookster said:

OMG, I survived spankings, cars without seat belts, drinking out of garden hoses and even … fishing with swimming plugs with 3 sets of treble hooks on them! And I managed to come out of it all unscathed!

I like this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

3 hours ago, snookster said:

I like that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^