Domer98

Which Avet for surf casting / pier fishing

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I am debating between the SX, MXJ, MXL to use more from the surf than pier with #30 braid for Stripers, Blues,Drum, and a like.  I am leaning towards an MX model as I think I could use when trolling for Stripers but not sure. Is this possible?I would purchase the MC version of the 2nd generation.  Thank you in advance.  Any rod recommendations?

Yes, the new G2 reels can be purchased with MC.

Stick with the SX size, especially if you are using 30lb braid, the SX can take nearly 500yds of 30lb braid.

I've got both an SX and MXJ, and give the nod to the MXJ because I like narrow reels, but the two are very similar in capability.  I would likely spring for the G2 if I had the coin, mainly for the reduced handle backplay.

Have 3 MXJ ,1 MXL , 1 SX  I like them all for the different roles they serve , but the narrow

J's I seem to cast better

SX MC and if you want the G2 buy it , especially for the louder clicker

It will do pretty much everything you are seeking. If you're gonna use it for Drum down south on the piers, or Cape Point in the Fall.. Braid is discouraged. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have an MXL MC wound with 50lb braid and a shock leader of 50lb Big Game. Sat. night I hooked into a large Cow Nosed Ray which I had on for 45 minutes. The reel was mounted to a Lami 136-1-MH which is as you probably know  quite stout. The drag was locked down but couldn't hold the Ray. I have a huge blister on my thumb trying to keep from getting spooled. I lost the fish inside the first curl when he buried himself in the sand and the 24" Perlon leader let go on the swivel side. Just as well as it would have been difficult to return something that big once landed because of the weight.

The Avet is great for casting due to the magnetic control and never missed a beat other than the drag being over matched. If I were to buy it again I would opt for the Gen 2 because of the improved drag-40% more! I also would opt for the J model because of the narrower spool which according to Scott at Avet will give you more casting distance.

With the lack of Bass and Blues and the appearance of Sand Tigers and Rays becoming more common I am toying with the purchase of the two speed Raptor Model.

I may be in the minority but I think the SX is small for Surf chunking in the North East. The drag on the S and M series is the same and the gears are the same. The difference is the spool diameter. The SX is a little tight if you want 300 yards of 50lb. braid with a 50lb mono shock leader and the usual 1/8"-1/4" space on the spool shoulder.

Marc

Edited by mml4

8 hours ago, mml4 said:

I have an MXL MC wound with 50lb braid and a shock leader of 50lb Big Game. Sat. night I hooked into a large Cow Nosed Ray which I had on for 45 minutes. The reel was mounted to a Lami 136-1-MH which is as you probably know  quite stout. The drag was locked down but couldn't hold the Ray. I have a huge blister on my thumb trying to keep from getting spooled. I lost the fish inside the first curl when he buried himself in the sand and the 24" Perlon leader let go on the swivel side. Just as well as it would have been difficult to return something that big once landed because of the weight.

The Avet is great for casting due to the magnetic control and never missed a beat other than the drag being over matched. If I were to buy it again I would opt for the Gen 2 because of the improved drag-40% more! I also would opt for the J model because of the narrower spool which according to Scott at Avet will give you more casting distance.

With the lack of Bass and Blues and the appearance of Sand Tigers and Rays becoming more common I am toying with the purchase of the two speed Raptor Model.

I may be in the minority but I think the SX is small for Surf chunking in the North East. The drag on the S and M series is the same and the gears are the same. The difference is the spool diameter. The SX is a little tight if you want 300 yards of 50lb. braid with a 50lb mono shock leader and the usual 1/8"-1/4" space on the spool shoulder.

Marc

For rays I have found you really just need a reel that has a high drag output and is capable of locking down.

Star drags and spinners work very well for big rays; one of my biggest rays was caught using my Komodo 471SS, I was able to lock down the drag and move the fish from the bottom after several hard runs.

The Avets are great for open water fish though. 

If I were tangling with a lot of rays or shark, the Raptor is 100% the way to go. I really wish that Avet would just put out a single speed non MC MXL Raptor for $275, I would snatch them up for that extra drag and cost savings of not having features I wouldn't use much.

I wanted to pick up a couple new lever drags and ended up just getting a few Okuma Andros 5IIs and 12IIs. I will see how they work.

10 hours ago, mike1010 said:

Don't lock the drag down tight on an Avet. You will crush the pinion bearing. They are meant to be fished at limited drag.

When I said "locked down" referring to the drag I meant lever all the way forward on a reel that had been drag adjusted using a spring scale according to factory instructions. My reel measures 7lb. at strike and 14lb. at full which is within factory specs and won't compromise the pinion bearing.

Sorry for the confusion,

Marc