tomkaz

Lake O dsichsrges, moving from St Lucie to southern route

38 posts in this topic

Was out with charter captain today. He said they Lake O discharges that had been flowing out of the St Lucie River system are now being diverted south and will come out of Jupiter Intlet. Seems the folks up North complained loudly enough that they will get some relief.

Not sure of the is the Lake Loxahatchee system or not, I am a relative newb. 

This sucks no matter how they dump that green soup. 

St lucie is a smaller river and less tidal flow. It doesn’t have the ability to flush the crap out faster. Last week they lowered/stopped flows down it. 

The condition of the calossahatchee river here is a mess. The alge is now in Ft Myers city limits and headed out to the gulf. It’s toxic, blue green slime. Red tide is at high concentrations all around the Sanibel/ coya costa islands. 

If someone had dumped this garbage in the rivers and killed this wildlife they be in jail. Our gov does the damage and all is well. 

I hiked to the north end of Hobe Beach and saw the color of the flow mixing into the ocean, it's worse than muddy. I figured the reason they used the north of Hobe Beach (St Lucie) is it's deserted, 6 miles from development to the south.

The motels/resorts on the north and south ends of Jupiter Inlet  probably won't take this lightly.

When it’s all said and done one big item from  the direction not being south comes to thought. Population of the area. 

This is right down the middle of the state. Any expansion now of development happens east of Rt 75 on the west coast. There is no room on this side of the highway. That was once all Everglades at one time. They want the area dry, can’t build on standing water. The gradient of the state of Florida is so minimal that help is needed in way of human intervention. 

We’ve had commercials running fromtime to time blaming the water quality on fertilizer. That’s right it’s the homeowners themselves they are blaming. It’s quite a coincidence that they release and we get crap water. Must be that golf course did it. Big sugar ran an ad how they employ and jobs would be lost. They employ about 25 people. The tourism industry alone employed more than that in the first mile of coastland. 

Nothing will get done again this time. If you killed a turtle they’d have you in jail. Big sugar does it, it’s just part of doing business. Kill a manatee holly crap, law and order will have you in jail so fast. Sugar does it, it’s ok there are more. 

We are so glad we don’t own a home in this area. Once they have killed the coastline this place will die too. 

This is the best of it all. They put up signs don’t swim in it. People are still swimming. Only in Florida has the sun and drinking water created so many idiots. 

Currently the slime is showing up in Cape Coral canals, as far south in the river as Ft Myers riverfront section of the city. It’s very close to the gulf. 

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

More then anyone else, thank the sugar industry.

BINGO!

Big Sugar is the major cause of most ecological damage in SE Florida (i.e. Everglades destruction, salt-water infusion in drinking water, beach pollution, etc.).

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

More then anyone else, thank the sugar industry.

Those people are to blame, sure.

But it was also a reaction to the deviating flooding that occurred during the big hurricanes in the 1930s. That set off an effort to “tame the lake” or so I have read. 

Can anyone one with a better sense of history enlighten? 

12 hours ago, tomkaz said:

Those people are to blame, sure.

But it was also a reaction to the deviating flooding that occurred during the big hurricanes in the 1930s. That set off an effort to “tame the lake” or so I have read. 

Can anyone one with a better sense of history enlighten? 

This book will enlighten you and is a good read:

The Swamp: The Everglades, Florida, and the Politics of Paradise
Book by Michael Grunwald 2006

Another good book is: 
Big Sugar: Seasons in the Cane Fields of Florida
Book by Alec Wilkinson 1989

You will end up hating Big Sugar after learning a bit about them.

And, how the heck do you "tame" nature?
That is the thinking that caused most of the environmental problems we have today.

Another bad actor in all of this is the ACOE (Army Corp of Engineers) or as I like to refer to them "unrepentant, addicted dirt and sand movers".

PS: I am not a "liberal" as defined politically today; actually much closer to the right than the left.

It's not just the sugar industry to blame or flooding or hurricanes. Large percentage of the junk comes from way north of the lake as far as Orlando. Think about that for a minute. Orlando way back when, wide open cattle farms, big pine forest.....I saw it myself in its youthful prime. We all know what it looks like today all grown up: Disney and the likes, housing and condo developments as far as the eye can see, all jammed crammed packed with septic tanks, all draining into the Kissimmee River.

A combination of many situations and developments and factors and locations...Been cumulating for decades. The consequences of progress, unfortunately for our fisheries.

5 mins ago, zcoker said:

It's not just the sugar industry to blame or flooding or hurricanes. Large percentage of the junk comes from way north of the lake as far as Orlando. Think about that for a minute. Orlando way back when, wide open cattle farms, big pine forest.....I saw it myself in its youthful prime. We all know what it looks like today all grown up: Disney and the likes, housing and condo developments as far as the eye can see, all jammed crammed packed with septic tanks, all draining into the Kissimmee River.

A combination of many situations and developments and factors and locations...Been cumulating for decades. The consequences of progress, unfortunately for our fisheries.

True enough but the sugar industry is responsible for probably 98% of the environmental damage to SE Florida ecosystems. Population growth and septics are a tiny component.

And, the ACOE`s straightening of the Kissamee River prevented natural processes from filtering cattle and farming byproducts before they thot to lake O.

Absolute suckage - already wreaking havoc on my SW FL plans (from Venice down the Sanibel). Had the Juno area pegged as a back up plan...and now this??

55 mins ago, DennisBKLYN215 said:

True enough but the sugar industry is responsible for probably 98% of the environmental damage to SE Florida ecosystems. Population growth and septics are a tiny component.

A 2015 study done by the South Florida Water Management District puts it at 28% for the sugar industry....

Regardless, man, it's a widespread problem. We can sit around all day tossing percentages around for who's to blame but my general point is that no single entity is solely responsible.

Sure, sugar shares a portion of that, no doubt. Lot of fingers pointed that way, mine included. I worked out in the Glades for many, many years, hung out with those sugar planters and farmers. Heck, I use to sit in on their board meetings! Never did I ever hear of a single concern to anything related to run-off or pollution control for their farms. Not that they didn't give a hoot because, well, maybe back then they didn't give a hoot and it's catching up with them today. They were too busy then living up the fine life....the sweet life LoL. All glitter and shine, big plantation homes and lots of shiny show and tell plus a lot of finger licking parties and cash going around. All was fine back then because the general flow of the lake was filtered nice and clean by the southern flow into the Everglades.

Funny how things work out...later on in life becasue, well, somebody gotta flip the bill for this. The cleanup is going to be a MASSIVE and EXPENSIVE project that no one wants to partake in. And maybe that's the problem. Maybe that's the bickering going on right now as well as the hold-up--the stalemate: who's gonna flip the bill? Is it us tax payers, big sugar, Walt Disney LoL.

We'll see.

3 hours ago, albacized said:

Absolute suckage - already wreaking havoc on my SW FL plans (from Venice down the Sanibel). Had the Juno area pegged as a back up plan...and now this??

I’d go up to St Augustine area. Great place to fish, fun old part of the city too. Lots to see. 

Or maybe around the pan handle area.