Bdawk2020

New Pedal kayak from Pelican?

292 posts in this topic

27 mins ago, atv223 said:

I'm fairly certain that Hobie's Mirage Drive is made in the US. In addition to high manufacturing costs, they've had to amortize the engineering and development plus patent attorney costs, etc, etc.

I am sure you could get a V1 drive duplicated in China for $20-50K in tooling and $25 to $60 piece price.

Pelican also offers a lifetime warranty..

17 mins ago, Baitbucket said:

already better than hobbie

Looks to me like they're way ahead of Hobie in having the drive mount in a mechanically fastened plate rather than a molded in socket.  If a plate breaks you replace the plate not the hull! This is a good way to defeat material fatigue, rather than using softer or thicker hull plastic.

Some of there yaks are a two piece sandwich design, so that flanged drop in cassette may have been needed. I said a while back Hobie should go that route.

35 mins ago, cheech said:

Some of there yaks are a two piece sandwich design, so that flanged drop in cassette may have been needed. I said a while back Hobie should go that route.

Hobie already had it with the inflatables. The same concept of a cassette style holder may work in other custom kayaks. If made proper it could deflect energy and have less cracks.

miragewellinflatable.jpg

2 hours ago, Baitbucket said:

On components as well as the hull? Is it transferable?

35 mins ago, drmevo said:

On components as well as the hull? Is it transferable?

Here is their full kayak warranty. Not sure if it applies to this line of Kayak, but i cant imagine they would have a separate warranty for their pedal drive yaks. They may have to add specific terminology to cover the drive.

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

This warranty only applies to Pelican kayaks and paddle boards made from RAM-X™, RAM-X PREMIUM™ or POLY-XR™.

Your kayak or paddle board is built of superior materials and in accordance to stringent quality standards. With adequate maintenance, it will give you years of reliable use. But as with most products, it is subject to wear and tear. If you eventually need replacement parts, technical assistance or product/service information, please contact our Customer Service Department, having ready at hand the product’s model name and serial number (beginning with ZEP…), as well as the date and place of purchase.

The present warranty is only valid if the original buyer registered the warranty within the thirty (30) day period immediately following the date of purchase. Registration can be done either electronically via our website or by completing and returning the registration card found in your owner’s manual.

Pelican International Inc.’s warranty is valid only if the product is used for its intended purposes and for which it was designed.

Product component parts and accessories are warranted for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase against defects in workmanship and/or materials.

The hull and deck are warranted against defects in workmanship and/or materials and suitable for its intended purpose.

This warranty does not cover:

• kayaks or paddle boards used for rental or other commercial use
  • products that have been damaged by negligence, misuse or accident, or wear due to owner’s failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance
  • products which have been modified or repaired by unauthorized persons
  • change in appearance of craft due to wear, exposure or any other environmental condition
  • Any return must be accompanied by an authorization number obtained by your dealer and which can only be issued by calling Pelican’s Customer Service Department between 9 am and 5 pm Eastern Standard Time at 1-888-669-6960. The return of any Pelican kayak or paddle board will not be accepted by Pelican International Inc. without this authorization number.

This warranty is the sole and exclusive warranty by Pelican International Inc. in connection with its above mentioned kayaks and paddle boards and Pelican International Inc. makes no warranties or representations, expressed or implied (including warranties of merchantability and of fitness for a particular purpose) in such connection except as specifically set in this warranty.

All incidental and/or consequential damages are excluded from this warranty. Implied warranties are limited to the life of this warranty. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts or the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. This warranty gives you special legal rights, and you may also have other legal rights which may vary from state to state.

Posted (edited)

15 mins ago, Baitbucket said:

Here is their full kayak warranty. Not sure if it applies to this line of Kayak, but i cant imagine they would have a separate warranty for their pedal drive yaks. They may have to add specific terminology to cover the drive.

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

This warranty only applies to Pelican kayaks and paddle boards made from RAM-X™, RAM-X PREMIUM™ or POLY-XR™.

Your kayak or paddle board is built of superior materials and in accordance to stringent quality standards. With adequate maintenance, it will give you years of reliable use. But as with most products, it is subject to wear and tear. If you eventually need replacement parts, technical assistance or product/service information, please contact our Customer Service Department, having ready at hand the product’s model name and serial number (beginning with ZEP…), as well as the date and place of purchase.

The present warranty is only valid if the original buyer registered the warranty within the thirty (30) day period immediately following the date of purchase. Registration can be done either electronically via our website or by completing and returning the registration card found in your owner’s manual.

Pelican International Inc.’s warranty is valid only if the product is used for its intended purposes and for which it was designed.

Product component parts and accessories are warranted for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase against defects in workmanship and/or materials.

The hull and deck are warranted against defects in workmanship and/or materials and suitable for its intended purpose.

• kayaks or paddle boards used for rental or other commercial use
  • products that have been damaged by negligence, misuse or accident, or wear due to owner’s failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance
  • change in appearance of craft due to wear, exposure or any other environmental condition
  • Any return must be accompanied by an authorization number obtained by your dealer and which can only be issued by calling Pelican’s Customer Service Department between 9 am and 5 pm Eastern Standard Time at 1-888-669-6960. The return of any Pelican kayak or paddle board will not be accepted by Pelican International Inc. without this authorization number.

This warranty is the sole and exclusive warranty by Pelican International Inc. in connection with its above mentioned kayaks and paddle boards and Pelican International Inc. makes no warranties or representations, expressed or implied (including warranties of merchantability and of fitness for a particular purpose) in such connection except as specifically set in this warranty.

All incidental and/or consequential damages are excluded from this warranty. Implied warranties are limited to the life of this warranty. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts or the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. This warranty gives you special legal rights, and you may also have other legal rights which may vary from state to state.

OK, now I found their warranty page. This was right below the part you quoted - would this apply to kayaks or some other kind of pedal boat I wonder?

4-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY

Your pedal boat is built of superior materials and in accordance to stringent quality standards. With adequate maintenance, it will give you years of reliable use. But as with most products, it is subject to wear and tear. If you eventually need replacement parts, technical assistance or product/service information, please contact our Customer Service Department, having ready at hand the product’s model name and serial number (beginning with ZEP…), as well as the date and place of purchase.

The hull and deck are warranted for a period of two (2) years from the date of purchase against defects in workmanship and/or materials and suitable for its intended purpose. By returning your warranty and registration card on time, you will extend your hull and deck warranty to four (4) years.

• boats used for rental or other commercial use
  • change in appearance of boat due to wear, exposure or any other environmental condition
  • Any return must be accompanied by an authorization number obtained by your dealer and which can only be issued by calling Pelican’s Customer Service Department between 9 am and 5 pm Eastern Standard Time at 1-888-669-6960. The return of any Pelican boat will not be accepted by Pelican International Inc. without this authorization number.

This warranty is the sole and exclusive warranty by Pelican International Inc. in connection with its above mentioned boats and Pelican International Inc. makes no warranties or representations, expressed or implied (including warranties of merchantability and of fitness for a particular purpose) in such connection except as specifically set in this warranty.

Edited by drmevo

17 mins ago, drmevo said:

OK, now I found their warranty page. This was right below the part you quoted - would this apply to kayaks or some other kind of pedal boat I wonder?

They sell a pedle boat. Check their products page.

Hopefully this is just the beginning. If one company can replicate the Hobie drive, others can. We should start to see all kinds of superior hulls with this pedal drive. And superior warranties. Adios Hobie!

1 hour ago, kross57 said:

Hopefully this is just the beginning. If one company can replicate the Hobie drive, others can. We should start to see all kinds of superior hulls with this pedal drive. And superior warranties. Adios Hobie!

My only concern is that other companies will see what Hobie has gotten away with for their warranty and go the same route

On 7/5/2018 at 10:20 PM, Bdawk2020 said:

Lol! I heard the patient had expired. 

I thought I read that here as well.... Isn't everything I read on the internet true :eek::eek::eek:

20 hours ago, atv223 said:

My guess this will be the first pedal kayak below $1,000 (at least I don't think anyone makes one that cheap yet)

There has been a chineese made one for a couple years now that hasnt taken off. I wonder wether this is the chineese made drive stuck in a US made hull? Maybe Riddler can get one and beat the crap out of it and report.

14 hours ago, Baitbucket said:

Void if you modify the hull. A rod holder or fish finder is a modification