ssfletch

FF battery choices

23 posts in this topic

New to marine electronics and could use some advice...I bought a Lowrance Hook 5 a few months back when they were moving to the new version and have finally found some time to get it installed - and am looking at different battery options. I don't want the weight of a full size battery, but want a dependable AGM unit that I can use for 4-5 hours without concern, as well as run lights/charge phone. I plan to keep it in the front hatch area of my Outback to balence weight.  I subscribe to some fishing channels on youtube and came across this review from MDLR  fishing.  - the size is 8AU1H with 32Ah capacity and 200CCA. Reserve capacity is 48. I am not the sharpest hook on the plug when it comes to understanding battery numbers.  Weight is far less than the optima I was going to use.  Does anyone have experience with DEKA or East Penn Industries? Price for a comparable battery at Autozone is 120 bucks. Worth it? What does everyone else use? Any advice on how to create simple power connection would be very helpful as well. Do people wire battery to a plug on a battery box, then plug FF into box when fishing? Sorry for all the questions. 

That battery has enough power to run the Yankee Stadium’s lights for a few games!! Kidding ... but seriously, that’s hugely overkill for what you want to use it for ... look for a 12v 15AH capacity and you’re still overspeccing by hours (assuming you don’t intend on running searchlights). Lifepo4 batteries are light compared to SLAs etc.

^^^ +many on LiFePo4. Read my treatise on more then you ever wanted to know. 

Simplified: 1/3 of weight, thousands of charge cycles, protection against overcharge and over-discharge, honest 12V+ the entire time of use.

Lookup bioenno power, nice products there.

Beware: 10/15AH @ 12V are pretty rare, if you do buy, make sure you're getting 12V (*and not the more typical, in that AH range, 36v or 48v versions).

If you do go with lead, you'd want "deep cycle" - these are "optimized" for constant draw of few amps over extended period of time (running fish finder during an outing), as opposed to putting out say 200 amps for 2 secs ( ie engine cranking application)

The manual for the FF while have a list of elec specs for it. Somewhere in there it will tell you AH use, how much power per hour it uses. Let’s say it uses .5ah., so for a 1ah battery you’d get 2 hours of use. 

Stick with the brick style batteries. Their 12v and come in different ah configurations. Most likely a 7ah one you get you what you are looking for in terms of hours of use. 

To add to what I wrote. I keep the battery to FF connection very simple. Leads from the FF to battery using sta-con female connectors. Simple easy, no fuss. I don’t bother with a fuse. It draws so little I don’t bother. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I doubt 7ah is enough for phone charging, lights, and a FF. I started using the 10ah noqua batteries this year based on a friend's recommendation and they've been great. Super light compared to my old lead 9ah batteries... roughy 1/4th the weight. 

Edited by Jon I
typo

Lithium batteries are great options if light weight is important and the cost isn't an issue.  However, for the cost and simplicity, 12V 7Ah Rechargeable Sla Battery are hard to beat.  You could get 2 of these for $30 use one for the FF and the other for charging/lights.  By splitting up the weight you can move them around to the best locations.

22 mins ago, Snapking said:

Just get a nocqua and be done with it. They're worth every cent.

I really have to agree with this. Got the 4.4AH nocqua, it's about the size of a deck of cards...powers my Hook 4 all day, been submerged twice, never have to think about it. 

I guess I don’t understand why people get so excited about lithium batteries for fish finders on a kayak?  The only thing lithium gets you is lighter per ah.  If I were backpacking then the weight would mean more.  Or if I had a 9” down scan/chirp/side scan ff/GPS power hog maybe it would be relevant.

But, my 5 ah 12v SLA weighs 3.5 lbs, runs my color FF/GPS for 20+ hours and cost me $15.  I’ve had it for 5 years and going strong.

I don’t understand “simplicity”, a battery is a battery, two terminals and you charge it.  If anything, Lithium chemistry is more finicky.

It’s not like a FF will perform “better” with lithium or last long with the same ah rating.  It’s simply lighter, that’s it.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE technology, and I think it’s cool to have a lithium battery and I like the idea of it.  But every time I look at it, it never saw a relevant benefit.

I’m not trying to knock anyone for using lithium, I just want to convey facts since we have people on this board that drop $3,500 on a kayak add a $3,000 Evolve motor and fish with Van Staals along with people whose total budget for an outfitted kayak is under a $800. 

It's plug and play. You don't have to worry about a dry box. Mine has been submerged in saltwater several times and has run without a hitch for 3 years. When I'm done fishing, it's quickly removed and charged in my house or if necessary my car. Like I said, it's simply more convenient and you have to pay for convenience. If you don't care about that then sure, save a few bucks and get an SLA battery. 

No one is getting excited, but 3.5 lbs suck lol. I would have to figure out a location to store it on my kayak, whereas the nocqua hangs off the carry handle of my cooler, even comes with its own velcro strap. I understand that normal, non-inflatable kayaks have tons of storage room as opposed to my SUP board.