jajamelony

New guy, need reel advice

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Long time visitor! Bit of a background; surf fished for just 3 years in Cape May and Rehoboth, got few stripers nothing big. Made a jump to fly fishing recently. I just got a St. Croix Legent Elite 10wt and trying to pair it with reel that is not super expensive. I searched the forums and found many reel topics but I'm thinking I may need recommendations specific to my rod.

Thanks!

J

Posted (edited) · Report post

spend money on a good reel.  everyone has an opinion on brand, but think of a budget around $250+.   (Search the bst forum.  everything i have bought off SOL has been great)  

I have spent that much on crappy reels that break down in the salt.  

Edited by nedakjohn

Ok looked at the Colton Terrapin. Very nice, almost pulled the trigger until I found the Lamson Remix 4 HD. Both the Colton and Lamson are made in U.S. and have sealed drag. I think it may come down to price in the end. The Remix 4 HD (3 reel pack) seems to the better deal. Any thoughts/comments on the Lamson?

Thanks

J

7 hours ago, jajamelony said:

Hi all,

Long time visitor! Bit of a background; surf fished for just 3 years in Cape May and Rehoboth, got few stripers nothing big. Made a jump to fly fishing recently. I just got a St. Croix Legent Elite 10wt and trying to pair it with reel that is not super expensive. I searched the forums and found many reel topics but I'm thinking I may need recommendations specific to my rod.

Thanks!

J

I just bought an orvis hydros and I've been very happy with it. Not overly expensive but seems like good quality. It's made in China unfortunately but I also couldn't spend 600 or so in a reel. For the reel and a spare spool I think I came in shy of 400.  Good luck

If your budget will stand it Colton by a long way. Size 1012 in the Terrapin.

Compare the weights of the two reels.

Colton is fully machined. Lamson is not.

I don’t like the way the Lamson assembles.

Lamson you are getting spare spools.

Thats useful as you need generally speaking three fly lines to cover most bases.

Your call.

mike

I would go lamson personally. Having spare spools is a massive boost to your versatility, and that specific reel has a full cage whereas the terrapin does not. Sometimes the running line can get pinched between the spool and frame, with full cages this is almost completely impossible. 

I've fished a lamson liquid 4 in the salt a few times, no issues whatsoever. My reels typically get dunked and gaked several times, I've got quite a few wear marks on the finish but the reel is still ticking after rinsing and doing maintenance after each trip. I think the remix 4 HD is a better choice for your situation if I'm honest. I'm going to be picking one up in the fall for a TH rod I'm building. 

Tons of choices....  the ones I have kept based on my likes:

Colton Terrapin - really sealed with great CS/ warranty

Colton CGR II - not sealed but lifetime warranty

Ross CLA 4 - discontinued but can pick up on auction site. 

Allen Kraken - sealed + lots of backing

Ones I got rid of in 7-10 wts.

Orvis LA V

Lamson Velocity 4

Lamson Litespeed 3.5

Teton Tioga

Bauer M4

Lamson Konic 4

Solitude (by Edco) -- really, really nice but I had the V which was too big for my usage.

Tibor Back Country CL Wide

Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor IV

J

Think about a good used reel. If there's a fly fishing club near you with an internet forum ask if anyone has one for sale. My local fly shop , Upcountry in New Hartford CT has used gear on line. A few years ago I got a used orvis reel and extra spool for a modest price. I bought an Allen Kraken specifically for Albacore fishing- it's been superb.

Some fishermen have lots of money and go for prestige gear. It's great stuff but if your finances are finite get an adequete rod and reel, buy the best fly line available, stock up on quality leader material and learn to tie flies. 

Hope you're young and athletic because a 10 wt can be taxing. 

Ted

A ten wt is not taxing at all unless your cast is poor and your are physically weak.

A healthy human male can cast a ten weight no problem at all.

It has been one of the biggest myths perpetuated on this site for way too long.

Totally ignore it.

Mike

Teddispahgetti,

A 10wt is taxing if you're constantly putting as much force into it as you can, just plain aren't very good at fly casting, or have never done a day of exercise in your life. I can cast and fish one for 6 hours a day without trouble, and I'm not terribly strong or athletic. If you know what you're doing and your rod isn't monstrously heavy it isn't tiring to use. 

If the rod and reel combo is 12 ounces and you're having issues waving it for 3+ hours something else is wrong, not the rod and reel. 

If looking at used reels you can also check the Bears Den Fly Shop's Den Discounts page for used fly reels. Always seems to be some good deals on saltwater fly reels there.

1 hour ago, JEFFSOD said:

If looking at used reels you can also check the Bears Den Fly Shop's Den Discounts page for used fly reels. Always seems to be some good deals on saltwater fly reels there.

That is the path I have taken, got a few good deals on quality equipment