Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Riddler

Deer Island Winthrop MA Kayak Fishing Ramp...need your help!

10 posts in this topic

We are trying to reach out to Marine Fisheries for help to build a paddle fishing launch. The new pier construction is starting in 2 months from  July 1st. It is imperative that we get emails out. If anyone here as fished Deer Island you know as well as I do, you have to hop that concrete wall and shimmy the kayak over. Having a ramp of some sort would be a premium and also get kayak anglers away from injury. I have the director's email from Marine Fisheries. He is the man we will need to contact. Copy of the email I just sent.  Just like the new pier being constructed in less than two months, the funds will come from our Salt Water License fee unless I hear different.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

david.pierce@state.ma.us

"My name is Jeffrey Lopez I am a resident of Winthrop, MA. I am a life long fisherman in Massachusetts Waters From Cape Cod to Gloucester. My main method of fishing is by kayak and I spend 5 months of the season fishing the Deer Island area during our run of Striped Bass, Flounder, and perhaps again one day, Cod. Our fishery is outstanding thanks to the efforts of Marine Fisheries and the clean water from the MWRA and we hope things will continue to improve. Boston Harbor is now a premier destination for anglers from all over the world.

Mr. Pierce, I am reaching out in hopes that you may consider adding a specific Paddle Fishing Ramp during the construction of the new pier. We don't need much. We were looking just for a way of bringing our kayaks from the new parking lot and down to the waters edge. Since the 90's our access to the Deer Islands flats has been climbing over the wall. It has become a hazard and some have had injuries. If we had an easy access to the Deer Island flats it would make the area more paddle fishing friendly for people of all ages and skill levels to enjoy our fishery. If there is anything you can do for us, please let us know."

Well it's a busy holiday and  I'm sure more guys will help out once they see the thread because it is important for the sport locally..   We'll have to stay vigilant through the course of the week.  Have a great Fourth and hopefully the triangulation of all the fireworks don't score to many bass on your night runs.   

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thank you for al the emails!  We need more people to jump on board.  Please!

Here is a copy of the email I just got. We may or may not  be too late for Winthrop but what this will allow is the wheels turning for other kayak fishing access in the furture!

Doug-

Since the Winthrop/Deer Island meeting took place last week we collectively have heard from at least nine constituents (BCC’ed) on this email. Some or all are members of The New England Kayak Fishing Club.  As you can tell by the name of the club you can surmise that they are asking for car top/kayak access at Deer island at or near the fishing pier.  I responded to few of the emails individually and stated that I wish that we had heard from them earlier in the planning and permitting process.  Notwithstanding the addition of a ramp like structure of some sort alleviating the dangers of “hopping the wall,’ as they call it seems very doable.  Due to pretty late timing adding this access point to the existing plans and permitting may not be in the cards.  It would be advantageous for us to look at the existing shoreline critically next time we’re on the island and brainstorm some likely ways to build this amenity.  Going on memory alone I’m envisioning something akin to the access points that are present along the shoreline in Marshfield along 139/Ocean Ave.

Let’s talk about the addition of this amenity,

Ross

Edited by The Riddler

If Riddler gets his way, they should embed a plaque w/ his name into the concrete of the ramp. Or may  be an always-on Ipod (behind bulletproof glass) that is forever looping the animated gif in his BOTTOM sig.

I was too late getting on it.  It will help us in future plans I guess. You still have to hop the wall to get to the harbor side or launch from Coughlin Park or Winthrop Boat Ramp.