Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheMidnightRambler

Summertime!

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi All,

This is my first post on this site, however I've been pretty active on another Maine Fly fishing related forum. First some background, then my question:

I live (sadly) in NYC, but this Spring I rented a cheap place right on the mouth of the Saco River from June 1st to June 14th and fly fished literally every day. I had never caught a striper before, and I was hooked immediately. I got some tremendous help from some awesome guys on the other forum and even made some good friends. I was amazed at the friendliness and welcoming attitude from the fly fishing community up there, and I was very sad to leave.

It's likely that people on here have seen or talked to me -- as I fished the popular spots North of Portland. I was the tall guy, screaming in frustration trying to properly cast a heavy sink tip line, or perhaps trying to remove a barbed clouser hook from his bloodied ear. 

I never caught anything above 30'' the whole time I was there. Biggest, in fact, was probably just over 26". But it was still tremendous fun.

And so here I sit in my ****** Lower East Side apartment in 100 degree heat, knowing that I have four weeks until my new job starts in August. I am toying with the idea of renting out my place and going back to Maine. Either the Saco/Biddi area, which I feel I know pretty well now, or maybe further North, of which I know nothing. 

My question is:  is it worth it? I feel that perhaps I was spoiled by the quality of fishing in early June. As I try to understand the species, it is my understanding that they basically get here and shoot up the rivers, stay for awhile, and then in the warm summer months move into deeper/cooler water? Does this mean that day time fly fishing from the shore would slow down dramatically? Based on extensive research online, I see a lot of guys doing more night fishing in the summer. And a lot being done with boats (I do not own a boat). 

Also, given that I live so close to Long Island, would it be worth trying there instead? I'm sure the fish are bigger, but I really did fall in love with the culture and beauty of Maine and it's hard to imagine going anywhere else.

I'd love to hear any ideas. I feel unbelievably spoiled to even be in this situation. 

Cheers,

- Peter

Edited by TheMidnightRambler

Hey Peter welcome to sol, per the  unofficial rules you owe us a joke. 

It does sounds like you did get spoiled with the early season fishing that can give really good numbers. 

I dont fly fish but with this heat it’s going to be a nighttime/ first light kind bite for the foreseeable future not to say you can’t catch anything during the day but finding the coolest water possible will help alote. 

As for fishing closer to home I would give it a go at some point. 

I bet bet some of those same guys on the outher form are here and we’ll chime in soon to give you better advice. 

Good of luck 

There is no such thing as doldrums in Maine, the water temp will never get as high as Long Island Sound to send you fishing for other species. Does the pattern change if you don't concentrate on a river run? Absolutely. Fishing will be good until October long after people have mostly given up. I've just about given up fishing all night with eels and other such things that guarantee you the big one because I have found and have caught all my biggest fish in full day light and my new best friend is Maui Jim's because I can see so much more than I ever had. Getting a little sleep is not overrated and will prolong your life. I'll just add my perspective that the access you get to the kind of oceanic beauty accessible in Maine sometimes in complete solitude is absolutely worth it. 

Fish don't necessarily leave the rivers for deeper, cooler waters North of Portland, I catch 'em in rivers all season long.  Yes, daylight fishing gets slow and you'll find yourself being a night owl in the summer, but as you learn areas you'll learn that tide trumps time of day so when that great tide is at 14:00 on a sunny day, it will still probably produce a few fish.  However when it's at 05:00, fishing is usually better.

As for LI, I fished there for the first 1/3 of my life and yes, once Memorial Day comes and goes, fishing there becomes a dusk to dawn event.  That is NOT the case in Maine.  Then again, the fish tend to be larger on LI, but if you want to catch larger fish on the fly, you're limited to the fall run along the South Shore unless you want to fish eels or large bucktails in Plum Gut, The Sluiceway or Montauk Point at night during the summer, along with the fleet.  

Bottom line, it's a "quality of life/fishing" decision.  You want to fish away from crowds, be able for fish during the day and don't mind smaller fish, come to Maine.  You want a reasonable shot at a 20+ lb fish, head east, and you'll get the bonus of bluefish and albies.  I opted to retire to the former, and often find myself chuckling to myself, enjoying catching small stripers right in my backyard while sipping an evening cocktail, not missing the car, boat, nor people traffic of LI.

Peter, 

Hi it’s Adam same username as the other forum. Was nice to meet you and fish with you while you were here. Come back anytime like said above generally can get into fish all season. Bryan and eye have got plenty of 30ish fish since you left. Let me know if you come back

I find myself thinking about the BIGGER picture here. 

Have you wondered or asked asked yourself whether it’s really worth it to chase $$$$$$ in the big city instead of really LIVING in a place like Maine?

Come back up and enjoy yourself !!!