tomkaz

“Isn’t it hot in Florida during the summer?”

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

How many times I have I heard this in the past three years, mostly from people in the NE? Well, I was up in Fairfield County this weekend and it was hotter up there than in Palm Beach Gardens.

8100AFB5-1C9D-4CD0-B74D-55CA45817AC5.thumb.jpeg.12502bef41be7e4a37756f3273ef84d0.jpeg

And just a bit ago today? 

4F3A3AAA-5EAE-446A-B3AF-5EFFF983764B.thumb.jpeg.08244b030527932166830d312da989cc.jpeg

Moved here recently from NJ, everyone told me the summers will be hot, I said, they're hot in NJ too, but it doesn't snow in Florida in winter !

Yes its a common misconception because of all the dummies who take their kids to Disney in July. Stay near the beach and its not hot. At least no hotter then Nj.

3 mins ago, barrell said:

Yes its a common misconception because of all the dummies who take their kids to Disney in July. Stay near the beach and its not hot. At least no hotter then Nj.

Two hours in line for the Dumbo ride will make anyone confused. 

3 mins ago, barrell said:

Two hours in line for the Dumbo ride will make anyone confused. 

South Florida is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter then the rest of Florida. That's one of the reasons it's getting so populated down there. The Gulf Stream narrows and comes closer to shore in Palm Beach County then anywhere else in North America. Helps too moderate the temperatures. 

Florida yes while it’s hot for months is consistent with the heat. It’s 92* for weeks, it’s 89* for weeks. None of this up and down like I remember having in NJ. One day it’s 70, next day it’s 95. Your body doesn’t have a chance to adjust.

We now get 75* mornings and 92* afternoons, plus cloud cover moves in every evening and cools that down to 85*. This is everyday for many weeks. Your body adjusts easily to this. 

One of the best outcomes for the stable temps for weeks on end is we don’t get sick anymore. No colds, flu. You’re body doesn’t have to cope with the temp swings. One day it’s cold next it’s sweat. Here’s its sweat everyday. 

Off Shore  On Shore winds also factor in ,we moved from W Central above Tampa to Mid south, less shade from sun (less Tree lines) open grazing land  how ever the breeze Is stronger and humidity lower as such we find it cooler with lower humidity

Although it can be argued NJ is as hot as Florida, thats true to a fault, its effin' hot in Florida from May till October without any relief. In NJ we get a heat wave for 4 days and act like we live in the tropics. I will give Florida a huge winter advantage though. For me, I couldn't take 6 months of heat, I like the temp changes and although winter in NJ is too long, its not extreme like Syracuse or Minneapolis. Forget Maine.

Moved from NJ 4 years ago to Pinellas County so I'll chime in.  For about an 8 week period (July and August) not a huge difference at least temperature and humidity wise.  The biggest difference in the summer is Florida's sun is much hotter.  Also, in NJ even in the heat of the summer there's often some high clouds around which make the heat of the day a little more bearable. 

If you don't have a relatively dark complexion you have no business out in the summer Florida sun from noon till at least 6 PM in my opinion. The burn rate is much higher than the Northeast.

Hotter in FL,it may seem so How ever the Sun's rays are more powerful as FL is closer to equator  than Boston, plain to see as one moves N the daily Temp is lower than those in south

Yes it  is hot standing in same spot for an Hour waiting on a Ride at Disney while paying over 100.00 per person per day, yes it is Hot if you wear a Black Hat or Black T shirt or wear flip flogs/cheap sandals.

Might I suggest, Wife  kids want to go to Fl, during months July-Sept is  Scallop Season on west Coast in Gulf,    (Homosassa. Crystal River) many kids that like to swim say this is more fun than Disney  ,all that is needed is a mask and snorkel.

Family of Four can get a Guide  for 1/2 day for 200-??? add  another person add 50.00 OH fishing is poor then any way as water temp near 90 and Guides/head boats are 1/2 day  as temp of water and heat with fast moving thunder storms rolling in

Also most kids enjoy the wild life park which has all animals that are Native to Fl, small villages, from 1100 to 7000 no traffic jams, No real Shopping Meca, few  T shirt shop, Historic sections, magnolia trees and sweet tea, it is Bless her heart vice stupid ol Bxxx

Just a suggestion for consideration  some thing to look into,one will find this avenue far cheaper ,less fast pace, and more  relaxing, most kids and parents I have spoken to say the kids forget about Disney, if one wants information send me PM Oh yes  West Coast Has large Magnolia tress and Sweet Tea, and Adult Beverages of course  Draft at Tiki Bar  "The Shed 1.50)   Al

As hot as it gets here at times you do get used to it. You learn to just move slower, at work you purposely have to move slower. You’ll not be jogging at noon or bike riding at noon. You get an early start to everything you do. 

Past Fri and tomorrow I’m on a job outside all day; boots, hardhat, long pants and in a ditch. You take breaks, drink a lot of water and hit the AC something or other when you can. 

The first year was an adjustment. That took time. It’s certianly gotten better. 

As one who lives in Boston, I get people asking all the time why I go down there in the summer when it's so hot...first, I lived there before (Tampa area) and know what the weather gods throw at you, and this is the time to catch snook (although I didn't count on this red tide business)

Also, while stripers hit all summer up here, they sort of hit a summer doldrum and its a good time to target fish with a lesser number of stripes