JCH

Skagit lines for one handed rods?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I bought a "used" reel on an auction site the other day (I put "used" in quotation marks because I don't think it's been fished once), and it came with a 360gr AirFlo Rage Compact Skagit line.  I have never fished a TH rod, but I looked up the taper and it's similar to a one-handed taper (30ft head, etc).

Curious, is there anything stopping me from fishing this on a standard one-handed 9' rod?

nope. no problem.

retrieve in until just the head is outside the tip. water haul, single haul and 'fire' !

14 hours ago, MikeFlyGuy said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to reverse the front/rear to make it more of a WF taper, unless

JCH is planning on making Skagit casts with it?

Do you mean cut it and splice it?  That's beyond my expertise.

16 mins ago, JCH said:

Do you mean cut it and splice it?  That's beyond my expertise.

JCH, no, I mean connect the trailing loop to your leader and the leader loop to your running line. But you would only want

to do this if you are throwing a big popper or something like that. Smaller flies keep the arrangement the way it is. Mike

I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't even pull out the line to look at it - I just assumed it was integrated.  It's clearly a loop to loop and it looks like it has a small rubber sleeve over it.

I'll keep it and cast it both ways and report back.

Well I prefer the head systems personally easier to switch out line types. The rage line is a good inbetween line not quite skagit thickness and not quite as subtle as scandi heads. They are great beginner lines decently soft presentation. 360 grain would more then likely be good on a 10 wt as mentioned or if you wanted a two hand rod somewhere in the 5-6 wt range