Scubachris

Okuma Makaira 20K Spinning Reel Users!

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Who here uses this line of spinners? Would like to know thoughts when stacked against other spinners like the Shimano Stella?

s-l1600.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alan Hawk was greatly impressed. I don't know if I've ever seen a user comment here ... I wuz looking for one, when I found your post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I helped Okuma do the Fishing Expo here in Hawaii in Oct. we had one on display. What a beast! Might be coming out with a 15K for next year. 

Edited by Scubachris
Forgot the K in 15K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you fished with one at all? If those line markings on the spool are for mono, as I suspect from the depth of the spool, that's a big-game reel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t used one yet. I know 2 who do. GTs from shore and that reel gives them no quarter! Should be good at the FADS jigging for tuna as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll wait for a smaller reel. It's in the same price bracket as the Torque II, VS ,ZB, Stella, Saltiga, and IRT.  There is very little to read (that you'd trust) about the Makaira or IRT spinning reels; they just haven't penetrated the market enough to make noise. Alan Hawk hasn't updated his reviews of top-end reels for awhile, Alan Tani isn't into spinning reels.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

I'll wait for a smaller reel. It's in the same price bracket as the Torque II, VS ,ZB, Stella, Saltiga, and IRT.  There is very little to read (that you'd trust) about the Makaira or IRT spinning reels; they just haven't penetrated the market enough to make noise. Alan Hawk hasn't updated his reviews of top-end reels for awhile, Alan Tani isn't into spinning reels.  

 

There is an Okuma Makaira 10000, but I don't think it is available just yet. It should be around the size of the Shimano 10000 sized spinners which hold about 300yds of 50lb to 65lb braid.

 

I am going to try to get one once they become available.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been for sale here in NZ - the Makaira 10000, for a little while, but I don't know how popular it's been.  I think it's a couple of hundred dollars (NZ dollars) less expensive than a Stella 10k. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

*Has 55lb max drag, same pre-set drag settings as in the 20K & 30K, 4.9:1 gear ratio, 40in line retrieval, weighs 28.2oz & can take 415yd of 50lb braid. Also a 5yr limited warranty. I heard a 15K is in the works. Other sizes are the 20K & 30K. The anglers that i know here both use the 20K from shore. Both agree it's stronger then a Stella though a comparable Stella is slightly lighter in weight. 
It's purely a matter of personal preference. I think it's important to look up where the nearest service Okuma and/or Shimano service center is. Hawk gave a very good review on the Makaira. I must admit in Hawaii the Shimanos are the most popular spinners, then comes the Penns. As long as you're happy with your unit it should be ok. Right now i'm slowly replacing all my Azores with the new Blues. Hard to beat for the money. And aesthetically speaking it matches well with all my blue Okuma rods. 

IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1214.JPG

Edited by TimS
Shop name removed - we don't promote specific shops here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

I assume that R or L denotes the hand you use for cranking?

L = handle on the left side of the reel.

R = handle on the right side of the reel.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

I assume that R or L denotes the hand you use for cranking?

I’m pretty sure you are correct. Somewhere it was mentioned that you can purchase the opposite side handle (maybe in Alan’s review?) and convert the reel to the other hand. 

 

The reel handle will will not flip-flop, you need a R or a L. Better than not being able to convert at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Otony said:

I’m pretty sure you are correct. Somewhere it was mentioned that you can purchase the opposite side handle (maybe in Alan’s review?) and convert the reel to the other hand. 

 

The reel handle will will not flip-flop, you need a R or a L. Better than not being able to convert at all

 

You can purchase the handle for the other side of the reel direct from Okuma. It is a nice option, but not a necessity as it is easy enough to buy the reel with the handle on the side of the reel that you prefer from the get go.

 

And, yeah, it is definitely better then having a reel that is only produced with the handle on one side of the reel; the option is great for lefties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

 

You can purchase the handle for the other side of the reel direct from Okuma. It is a nice option, but not a necessity as it is easy enough to buy the reel with the handle on the side of the reel that you prefer from the get go.

 

And, yeah, it is definitely better then having a reel that is only produced with the handle on one side of the reel; the option is great for lefties.

I like to hold the rod in my left hand, and reel with my right, which leaves me out for the most part when it comes to ZeeBass and Van Staal. The fact that I might be able to pick up a used reel and convert it is a huge selling point, even though Okuma really isn't giving those handles away.

 

Admittedly, I haven't a need for such a large reel, and as I get older my left shoulder has given me enough trouble that I often find myself fishing the other way around nowadays. But if this reel were ever offered in a 4000-6000 range I would be quite interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.