Danny1199

July 2018 Fishing Reports

381 posts in this topic

NMCO 4 AM to 7AM, got 4 all between 24 - 26 inches also a few bumps without hooking up. Better size than most of my recent micro catches. Caught them all before 5 AM, then no hits once the sun came up. 

20180705_040027.jpg

On 7/4/2018 at 11:58 AM, Lagerhead said:

If you knew this spot before they ****ed it, it would break your heart.

Yes the whole coastline breaks my heart.  It's just a shame what they're doing!

Posted (edited)

8D6D8854-263E-4DA8-BA17-AE0AD6B0AF06.jpegSaw this posted from yesterday.....33"  12lbs.

Edited by TimS
Please stop posting FB links and other peoples fish

On 7/5/2018 at 0:54 PM, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Saw this posted from yesterday.....33"  12lbs.

I saw a speardiver bring up one around 30" yesterday.  

On 7/5/2018 at 0:54 PM, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Saw this posted from yesterday.....33"  12lbs.

Could have sworn my 7 yr old son had one on that big this weekend.  We were fishing on my boat and he caught the bottom a couple of times.  He was freaked out when he was snagged since it almost ripped the rod from his hands- I get it...  I loosened the drag a bit and told him to open the bail if it happened again.  Anyway, the 3rd time, he said he had bottom, opened the bail and handed the rod to me.  I reeled up the slack and thought it was bottom for a second, then it started to pull like a huge flounder.  5 seconds later- pop- hook pulled clean.  It was a BIG fish.  Will have nightmares about that one.  Felt bad for him- he was disappointed.  Next time... 

Posted (edited)

Been fluking the surf over the past week and got close to 30 fish in 3 outings. 

No keepers but some 16 or 17 inchers.

Had one fish pull drag for a second then pop. Good times. 

Edited by Buckscorider

On 7/4/2018 at 8:24 AM, chitala383 said:

Not a fishing report exactly, but a buddy of mine was at a beach in Southern moco over the weekend and said there was a bunch of 30"+ bass swimming around in the trough right at the lip. So they're still out there, just have to find them.

Those fish are always there, all summer. 

Two weeks of vacation just wrapped in CMC and I’m way more exhausted than had I worked. Four kids 7 & under, including one with special needs, makes it damn near impossible to fish. Had some epic overnight skunkings this year pre vacation. Vacation: only got about two one hour 2:30 am sessions in.

Fished the donkey rig (except with salt strength leader and hooks) on suggestion from mr Bigdeal. Those soft plastic zooms really look alive! Braid to leader via FG, to a swivel, then more leader and then donkey rig on there. 

First brief outing was near someone’s underwater light. Fish popping and big residents cruising through the area. Had a bunch of hits and one hooked that popped off. Skunk. 

Second night (Tuesday) skunk? Depends on your definition. I used the donkey rig again this time on freshwater bass sized rod with 2k sized reel and heavy 30lbs spiderwire line with 30 lbs leader. Walk into the dark sodbank water and I hooked up hard on the very first cast. Thing starts peeling drag, goes left then right over and over. I’m pumping the rod, sweating my face off, excited for a big whatever fish, but after almost 10 minutes I’m convinced it’s a ray. (Even though the unweighted zooms are almost on the surface and I’ve never heard of that.) So, I tighten down the drag and test out rod, reel, line, leader. All cheap components and no sense exhausting the fish or Ray to death. Ray sighting confirms the suspicion, as it promptly started wing walking all over the top of this 100yd section of the bay. Five to ten more minutes. I want this thing to pop. Take off my t shirt. Wrap it around my arm and forcefully yank enough to hopefully bend out the ewg worm hook, but I end up pulling the ray to within a bodylength of me. Big cownose ray. It starts to run yet again and I finally manage to snap the leader. 

Rig was toast and the line was slightly fraying in a few spots, and I was drenched in sweat! Went home to bed. Next time I’ll catch a real fish!

On 7/2/2018 at 11:35 AM, odiemike86 said:

yaked in cape may county yesterday. Was out front fishing some close to shore structure. Landed 2 sheepshead and a 18" weakie on sheader crabs.

20180701_170926.jpg

A guy gave me one of these when I was on vacation in South Carolina. I never cleaned one before so it was a bit tricky at first but eventually I started on the back and worked my way down, tough skin on those things! I cooked it up with some garlic, lemon, salt, and pepper! Absolutely delicious!!

5 hours ago, get bent said:

A guy gave me one of these when I was on vacation in South Carolina. I never cleaned one before so it was a bit tricky at first but eventually I started on the back and worked my way down, tough skin on those things! I cooked it up with some garlic, lemon, salt, and pepper! Absolutely delicious!!

They do have some tough skin, them and triggerfish but are definitely worth the hassle. I start at the tail and work my way to the head. The blade cut through the skin easier that way.

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, EricDice said:

Two weeks of vacation just wrapped in CMC and I’m way more exhausted than had I worked. Four kids 7 & under, including one with special needs, makes it damn near impossible to fish. Had some epic overnight skunkings this year pre vacation. Vacation: only got about two one hour 2:30 am sessions in.

Fished the donkey rig (except with salt strength leader and hooks) on suggestion from mr Bigdeal. Those soft plastic zooms really look alive! Braid to leader via FG, to a swivel, then more leader and then donkey rig on there. 

First brief outing was near someone’s underwater light. Fish popping and big residents cruising through the area. Had a bunch of hits and one hooked that popped off. Skunk. 

Second night (Tuesday) skunk? Depends on your definition. I used the donkey rig again this time on freshwater bass sized rod with 2k sized reel and heavy 30lbs spiderwire line with 30 lbs leader. Walk into the dark sodbank water and I hooked up hard on the very first cast. Thing starts peeling drag, goes left then right over and over. I’m pumping the rod, sweating my face off, excited for a big whatever fish, but after almost 10 minutes I’m convinced it’s a ray. (Even though the unweighted zooms are almost on the surface and I’ve never heard of that.) So, I tighten down the drag and test out rod, reel, line, leader. All cheap components and no sense exhausting the fish or Ray to death. Ray sighting confirms the suspicion, as it promptly started wing walking all over the top of this 100yd section of the bay. Five to ten more minutes. I want this thing to pop. Take off my t shirt. Wrap it around my arm and forcefully yank enough to hopefully bend out the ewg worm hook, but I end up pulling the ray to within a bodylength of me. Big cownose ray. It starts to run yet again and I finally manage to snap the leader. 

Rig was toast and the line was slightly fraying in a few spots, and I was drenched in sweat! Went home to bed. Next time I’ll catch a real fish!

The "Donkey Rig" catches, that and my "Mad Minnow"......................an exciting way to fish.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal