Danny1199

July 2018 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

381 posts in this topic

On 7/11/2018 at 9:44 PM, nam1969 said:

Fished out front, MoCo, from 7:30-9:00 pm. Picked 5 bass, biggest  24". Got 4 on a smokey joe, with an orange bottom. Made sense since the beach and surf were loaded with sand bugs. Found that the orange works great, with all the female bug orange egg sacks. Got the 5th bass on a stillwater popper and missed several others. All  fish were right in the wash. Nice wave action, with great white water. First time out in 3 1/2 weeks.  

Its great when you put 2 and 2 together and it pays off with tight lines. Never thought to throw something with an orange bottom with all the sand fleas. Thank you!

1 hour ago, DragonsLax48 said:

so ill raise the question... do sand flea fish count?

Obviously not! Surprised you asked the question!  Any type of bait caught fish never counts. It's OK to report them, but they're not included in the year end Biggest Braggart Trophy presentation! Fishless tried to sneak one in one year, but Blind Squirl filed an appeal and Fishless was penalized a month's worth of bucktail caught fish! Knocked him all the way down to 15th place!

1 hour ago, fishless said:

Nam will say....only if they are white.

So I found myself with a lil free time on Fri and decided to give this flea thing a shot.  I did the bobber thing to keep the fleas suspended slightly off the bottom and I gotta admit I felt silly bobber fishing in the ocean off the surf.  Felt very goog/touristy but it worked and worked out well.  Had 7 fish total for the short time I was there one at 28.  Sorry for the lack of any good pics.  I was working one stretch of sand and opted to leave my gear & phone on the life guard stand.   

Coooool!

JD

Dead low water and a light SW wind made it a bit more challenging this morning.  As the tide started to come in a few rips started to move a bit so tossed the bugs again.  Best I could do was a couple in low 20 inch range.  Those storms that passed by last week did move a lot of sand around, filling in some of the nice holes that were there.  Saw a few rays pass by and also had about a 3 foot shark pass in front of me right in the wash.  Surf is calming down with clean, clear water.  Will move a bit to the south tomorrow for a change in scenery.

5 hours ago, fishless said:

So I found myself with a lil free time on Fri and decided to give this flea thing a shot.  I did the bobber thing to keep the fleas suspended slightly off the bottom and I gotta admit I felt silly bobber fishing in the ocean off the surf.  Felt very goog/touristy but it worked and worked out well.  Had 7 fish total for the short time I was there one at 28.  Sorry for the lack of any good pics.  I was working one stretch of sand and opted to leave my gear & phone on the life guard stand.   

Nicely done Bob!!

34 mins ago, fishless said:

Gracias kind sir.  That's a sweet avatard.  Who makes that plug?

Welcome!

A savage plug builder named Scabelly built that plug and a 1000 others lol

6 hours ago, fishless said:

Looks funny, but feels great when you catch that 28" er under a bobber, especially if you're just down the beach from a bunch of guys with 11' rods and pyramid sinker casting for England :laugh:

2 mins ago, JohnnyK said:

Looks funny, but feels great when you catch that 28" er under a bobber, especially if you're just down the beach from a bunch of guys with 11' rods and pyramid sinker casting for England :laugh:

It really is a funny feeling.  I'm still chuckling at the idea of using a setup for snappers in my lagoon and applying it in the surf.  But hey it works. 

6 hours ago, kingfisher2424 said:

Its great when you put 2 and 2 together and it pays off with tight lines. Never thought to throw something with an orange bottom with all the sand fleas. Thank you!

I've got some FW 4'' rubber perch baits with orange bellies,,,,???

7 hours ago, fishless said:

Other than the bobber, how else did you rig your flea line? 

I Went out on the Highroller out of AC yesterday and caught my first three flukes on bucktail and gulp - sadly all just below the limit. One was so close he measured it twice - 17.5”.  Which was a shame  as if legal it would have won the pool. I’m cursing the two I missed now.

the boat had 83 short flukes between 20 or so anglers. 

They also took took some small sea bass, sharks and a ton of crabs, and I was one of three to catch a jumbo sea robin, around 2.5lbs on one drift. 

water temp was a cool 69F , capn said. 

Their fanta-sea pool is up to $1620.

it was a good morning out for $35 - the rigs I made and the new rod & reel set up all worked just fine.  The fluke all hit the bucktail, the robin hit the teaser. 

btw - i think bobber fishing is very under utilised - if you want to avoid snags, crabs and weed it works great. its the best way to fish off piers, bulkheads and docks imho as the bait moves naturally and you don't need to hold bottom.

21 mins ago, Aquacide said:

I Went out on the Highroller out of AC yesterday and caught my first three flukes on bucktail and gulp - sadly all just below the limit. One was so close he measured it twice - 17.5”.  Which was a shame  as if legal it would have won the pool. I’m cursing the two I missed now.

the boat had 83 short flukes between 20 or so anglers. 

They also took took some small sea bass, sharks and a ton of crabs, and I was one of three to catch a jumbo sea robin, around 2.5lbs on one drift. 

water temp was a cool 69F , capn said. 

Their fanta-sea pool is up to $1620.

it was a good morning out for $35 - the rigs I made and the new rod & reel set up all worked just fine.  The fluke all hit the bucktail, the robin hit the teaser. 

btw - i think bobber fishing is very under utilised - if you want to avoid snags, crabs and weed it works great. its the best way to fish off piers, bulkheads and docks imho as the bait moves naturally and you don't need to hold bottom.

I have zero confidence in party boats. I believe they are all horrible. That’s at least my experience with them. I went on one last week. Two keeper fluke the entire trip that were only 19.5” (Not caught by me. That’s 2 keepers for the boat for the entire day) I could of launched the kayak and caught more and bigger fish.

Edited by Pma531

10 mins ago, Pma531 said:

I have zero confidence in party boats. I believe they are all horrible. That’s at least my experience with them. I went on one last week. Two keeper fluke the entire trip that were only 19.5” (Not caught by me. That’s 2 keepers for the boat for the entire day) I could of launched the kayak and caught more and bigger fish.

who did you go with last week, if you don't mind saying ?