Danny1199

July 2018 Fishing Reports

381 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Squan inlet is a magic line - some years they cross it in force, many they don't

(enough of them to count, there are always a handful, just not enough to target)

While armed with a pole spear, mask and snorkel I have spotted them as far north as Spring Lake, a few feet of a jetty. They would be schooled up laying in a depression on the bottom. That was before they "fixed" the beaches the first time though.

Fished out front, MoCo, from 7:30-9:00 pm. Picked 5 bass, biggest  24". Got 4 on a smokey joe, with an orange bottom. Made sense since the beach and surf were loaded with sand bugs. Found that the orange works great, with all the female bug orange egg sacks. Got the 5th bass on a stillwater popper and missed several others. All  fish were right in the wash. Nice wave action, with great white water. First time out in 3 1/2 weeks.  

First off MC55 is a beast! I gave up on bass back in early June, I was on a huge skunk run - reports were bad for awhile and I thought it was over. But saw the pictures from this week and got inspired.

went out 7-9 outfront moco with my Dad. Gorgeous night, nice white water and had some bird action sporadically but definitely felt like there was life out there. He’s never caught anything from the surf, I took him out about 5 times this spring bc I felt like I had finally acquired a good knowledge base from my first year last year and could get him a fish. We caught the skunk all 5xs.  

First cast he hooks a skate and then next cast hooks what must have been a ray. He fought it for a 5 min and then I fought it for another 10, thing was huge! Took so much braid and would just stop moving and get like I was pulling a tree trunk from the bottom of the water. We got it to shallow water and whatever it was,  spit the hook. Caught a quick glimpse, looked like a rusty color so assumed it was ray and thankful I didn’t have to figure out how to unhook it in the fading light.

Got a bunch of hits on the popper after but we couldn’t land anything. Finally caught this short 24” on a blurple sp right in the wash. My old man will talk about that ray forever and is officially hooked. Can’t wait to get him his first bass. Thanks for the motivation MC55, you’re a legend!

D148CF56-1555-4AC1-B809-3E483B2ADE51.jpeg

Tried out back cmc yesterday from 515-630pm. Couldn't find anything, only action was when a snapper or small weakie straightened out a grub tail on me in the first 10 mins. Wind and current killed my jigging and going heavier wasn't an option in this spot. Plus this cold i woke up with yesterday was telling my body time to give up, ugh damn summertime sickness. See how i feel this afternoon. 

Out front, MoCo, from 7:30-9:00 am. One bass at 22" (Smokey Joe) and one fat fluke at 16" (MC55  chartreuse sand eel). A couple of other hits and misses. Waves were bigger and stronger than last evening. Plenty of white water. Water felt slightly cooler than yesterday. It's still a sand bug fest and there were several nice rips to float bugs (outgoing tide). I stayed with lures this morning. All in all, a nice morning to be on the sand.

Did want to mention that I'm not seeing any calico sheds on the beach, This time of year, it was always littered with them and raking was the way to go. Replenishment has killed that. 

NoMoCo 0500 - 0830 three sea robbins on clam then bunker.  A dozen neighbors also sharing the robbin fest.  Saw one short flatty caught on chartuse BT.  No sand bugs or calicos on this section on replenished but now eroded sand.  Plenty of newly exposed structure and cuts.  Happy to see anything with fins.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:23 PM, JerseyJammin said:

This! I am a very meticulous person when I find a new hobby. I wanted to start playing chess years ago, studied it like it was my job, and now my elo is 1700~. With that said, when I decided to switch from fresh to salt, I tried my best to gather any and all info I could find. So one of the topics I researched was reading the surf and tbh, after about a dozen trips to the sand, I still cannot for the life of me see anything at all. Do sandbars not exist in most of NJ? I see no waves breaking further out. I see no rips or anything. Either i'm blind, they don't exist, or I really need help finding what to look for.

watch the youtube videos from rich trox and john skinner and others. But more importantly go out swimming this summer and walk in the water. youll notice you have to walk through deep water to get to a bar. and if you walk parrel to the beach on that bar you will eventually walk into another cut. If you watch surfers near a jetty they will paddle out next to the rocks because there is a back eddie where water is retreating.

I could go on, but you need to do your research and go swimming.

JerseyJammin get out at low tides, if not to fish to look at what will be getting covered in high water . You will also be surprised at the holes you will find at low water when you can walk the bars . Take pics or notes of where anything you think you should fish is and come back when the water,wind are right . Ill also second rich trox vids

Scoping out low tide is fine as long as you come back to fish high tide within a day or two. Soft structure changes constantly every tide cycle.

12 mins ago, faithless said:

Scoping out low tide is fine as long as you come back to fish high tide within a day or two. Soft structure changes constantly every tide cycle.

Ditto. it really pays to get in the water and swim around and also sit on the beach and watch surfers and wave action.

Its handy to scout at low tide if your fishing that night or that next tide. Ive see structure change drastically within 12 hours

Fished out front moco 6-830 with my young nephew who is looking to learn to get into the sport. Nice wave action lots of white water. Water temp seems to have gotten warmer from last week. No takers today on swim shads,sp,bucktails. On a positive note ran into Mc55 and the legends are all true. We had a quick chat and he had some wise words for the nephew with a bonus. Made our day...thanks man!

3 mins ago, adams54 said:

Fished out front moco 6-830 with my young nephew who is looking to learn to get into the sport. Nice wave action lots of white water. Water temp seems to have gotten warmer from last week. No takers today on swim shads,sp,bucktails. On a positive note ran into Mc55 and the legends are all true. We had a quick chat and he had some wise words for the nephew with a bonus. Made our day...thanks man!

My guess is that the bonus might have been one of his custom sand eels! Believe me they work. Mike is a nice guy, as well as a great fisherman.

1 hour ago, adams54 said:

My pleasure.  Hope the youngster sticks to it.  We need more young blood out there walking the sand.

Water was challenging for sure this morning with the big wave sets and water pushing up over the usual high tide line.  Tossed the plastics and nothing happening.  Tried the bugs where I could find a little out flow, but the wave action would only create short bursts of outbound water.  Did manage to find two in the low end of the 20 inch range and had a couple of quick pick ups and drops.  Conditions should be improving over night with the storm moving away and hopefully leaving behind some nice rips.

Fished OC beach 7-9am, no fish for me today, just eel grass and seaweed, every cast. Maybe tomorrow morning try it again.