Danny1199

July 2018 Fishing Reports

381 posts in this topic

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in the appropriate threads. If you have a question about something that would make a good thread on it's own, please start one.

For all of you new to the site, this is how you should make your report. It's up to you how much information you give, but please keep it within the rules and no spot-burning or specific locations.

Out front (oceanfront) or In the back (rivers, bays, and inlets),

Conditions

What you were fishing for,

What you were using,

What you caught. 

You can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The location terms to use are..........
Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other waters north of Raritan Bay.
County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

Rented a little boat with a buddy this morning 0800-1400 and went out back Ocean cty. 3 short fluke, no keepers. All on the gulp teaser. Lots of sunscreen, bug spray, and water made it tolerable. The horseflies were relentless though.

Tried some sod banks out back MoCo 12-5 today, didn’t last long nothing to show for it except about 1000 horsefly bites

Out back in mc , 4:30am-7:00am bottom of the outgoing to slack tide , bunch of shorts , 1 keeper and a great lunch. Got off the water before the heat and boats killed me. On white s@s big eye bucktail 1/2 once with 4” white gulp swimming mullet. 

EFC772EF-BB61-4F90-9355-BE1BFD1A322E.jpeg

E8F4285D-06E8-4AEC-BFC3-0EB335DE0A22.jpeg

A5A138B4-3669-49CD-BE76-697418DD7E0D.jpeg

F58EAC0D-740B-411F-9390-AE88C615E4E9.jpeg

Well, got out in Atlantic County this weekend did some fluking on one of my favorite piers, however its a popular spot. Shook the skunk, got a 13 1/2 inch short over the rail hooked up with what looked like a keeper if it wasn't it was close. was pulling it up over the rail and it shook off. Hate when that happens. Also hooked a sea robin but, i threw everything back. A guy down the way hooked up with a 27 inch striper and it gave him a hell of a fight. my go too is minnows and squid strips for the fluke.

29271148698_93115b5ecc_k.jpg

43142764251_59a9adf1aa_k.jpg[

Whats with the sun dials this weekend? The areas I was fishing were loaded with them. I thought these were late season fish? The water felt really warm.

5 hours ago, faithless said:

Whats with the sun dials this weekend? The areas I was fishing were loaded with them. I thought these were late season fish? The water felt really warm.

Yes, no fluke all sun dials in ocean co as well...

Fished the incoming tide on Saturday afternoon at the southern end of the state.  Got a couple of short flounder, one ~15inch weakfish, and one foot-long blue.  Mouth of the inlet was thick with tiny bait fish - combination of killies and some kind of small shiner/shad thing I've never caught in the cast-net before - almost all were fitting through the mesh on the net.  Green-head flies were relentless unless I was waist-deep. 

Got an hour in this morning looking for flounder out front. No bites. Ocean was glass. Osprey diving about 200 yds to the south and a few fish hitting the surface near me but couldn't tell what they were. Might get out again later.

Ocean is starting to flatten out with surf disappearing.  Doesn't look like it will start kicking up again until Thursday.   Appears that some small bait is begging to show closer to the beach finally.  Had a bunch of terns picking in front of me mid-morning and looked like they were grabbing spearing.  Found a Blue early and got a couple of 21 inchers as the morning went on.  One on my white swimmer and the other on a popper.  Had two other swipes at the popper, but didn't get the hook.  Nice to be walking in the cool water with this heat.

July 2, 2018.JPG

July 2, 2018  21 inches.JPG

yaked in cape may county yesterday. Was out front fishing some close to shore structure. Landed 2 sheepshead and a 18" weakie on sheader crabs.

20180701_170926.jpg

14 hours ago, Compulsion said:

Out back in mc , 4:30am-7:00am bottom of the outgoing to slack tide , bunch of shorts , 1 keeper and a great lunch. Got off the water before the heat and boats killed me. On white s@s big eye bucktail 1/2 once with 4” white gulp swimming mullet. 

EFC772EF-BB61-4F90-9355-BE1BFD1A322E.jpeg

E8F4285D-06E8-4AEC-BFC3-0EB335DE0A22.jpeg

A5A138B4-3669-49CD-BE76-697418DD7E0D.jpeg

F58EAC0D-740B-411F-9390-AE88C615E4E9.jpeg

Please share with how you cooked that! 

Btw, I was fishing in seaside this weekend and noticed a bunch of dredges and tug boats off of seaside heights. I also see them on cam every day fairly close to the beach but didn't see active pumping and replenishment. 

Anyone know whats going on?

oh yeah, that stretch is about to be effed for this fall. Effed

3 mins ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

Btw, I was fishing in seaside this weekend and noticed a bunch of dredges and tug boats off of seaside heights. I also see them on cam every day fairly close to the beach but didn't see active pumping and replenishment. 

Anyone know whats going on?

oh yeah, that stretch is about to be effed for this fall. Effed

They're working just north of Normandy making their way south

53 mins ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

Please share with how you cooked that! 

Bleed the fish, then get on ice, fillet and rinse in saltwater ice bath. Flour,egg wash , then coating,fried in good olive oil 1 1/2 minutes a side , less for thinner pieces. Salt right away. Spicy mayo was just mayo and hot sauce ( rather use sarachia but was out)