JoeyZac

Lots of Tuna Out There Right Now............

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

If you venture offshore, you don't need me to tell you they're all over the place right now.

Most of the fish in this pic came in a local canyon, and one of the bigger two was on the way home, about 15 miles inshore of the canyon.

About 40 miles out, ran into a school of hundreds of Bluefin that all looked to be about 150lb class fish, busting the surface and schooling just below it, but we could not get them to bite.  Don't know what they were doing, but they weren't interested in anything we had to offer.  Poppers, jigs, spreaders, chuted Ballys, chains, wide trackers, cedar plugs, nothing, they just didn't want it.  Only thing we didn't try was chunks, cause we didn't have any.

In any case, now is the time, and the forecast is good the next few days.  Go get 'um!!

5b38f5e7840d1_Grouptuna.jpg.59c9cd3f023b9a7ee3453d5af9852aa3.jpg

5b38f5e9906a4_tunacatch.jpg.006310208448eebad74879f405fcd660.jpg

Loins.jpg.d47518da3038447d172ad662619c1e8d.jpg

Nice job!!! We are patiently awaiting some “late” action east of you in RI...    hopefully with these 90-100 degree temperatures this week, things will get going for us!

Was out where JZ fished Sun-Mon went 6-10 on YF and broke off a nice BE 1/2hr into the fight. 

Same size fish as in his pics. 

20-30lbers with a nice 60lb

On 7/2/2018 at 7:23 AM, Bob fishhead Sproul said:

Nice!  Hope they stay around and also start hitting something.  Maybe it IS time to chunk?

Tried chunking Sun eve where we had our hook ups. Notta!! 

Thought about a daytime chunk, boat traffic said no.  

On 7/1/2018 at 11:40 AM, JoeyZac said:

If you venture offshore, you don't need me to tell you they're all over the place right now.

Most of the fish in this pic came in a local canyon, and one of the bigger two was on the way home, about 15 miles inshore of the canyon.

About 40 miles out, ran into a school of hundreds of Bluefin that all looked to be about 150lb class fish, busting the surface and schooling just below it, but we could not get them to bite.  Don't know what they were doing, but they weren't interested in anything we had to offer.  Poppers, jigs, spreaders, chuted Ballys, chains, wide trackers, cedar plugs, nothing, they just didn't want it.  Only thing we didn't try was chunks, cause we didn't have any.

nice fish.  almost forgot what a tuna looks like.  we're still waiting...:)

a couple times we found lockjaw school bft it turned out they were eating something small - silversides.  we finally got one to take a small mac (like 5") and when dressed had then in its stomach.  maybe try something smaller.

Nice work gents.

I have been offshore a few times this year but all shark trips and all as the "help".  All these reports are killing me.  I'm sooooooo over sharking for the year.

There have been good reports of inshore BF up by me too but now I just need the time (and weather) to go and get them.

Joe glad to see your feeling better, very nice catch!!!  You guys have had some nice luck with the tuna, John's boat looks great.  We left 2am Sunday morning and headed east on my dock neighbors 26 Steiger, his 3rd trip and my first with him.  We stopped at the 30 line and had lines in at daybreak only to find lifeless seas, we gave it an hour and then moved to the edge to find a fleet of mostly very well behaved captains, we only had 1 large white sporty run up on us while fighting a fish, had to call him off on the radio, said he was trying to see what we hooked, he then boxed us in so we were close to another guy fighting multiples.  We ended up with 4 YF with 1 going 50#, it was a great 1st trip for us and his 1st tuna on the boat that he bought this spring.  What photo host are you using these days, I'd like to provide pics but have had very bad luck with the sites in the past.

I stopped bothering with photo hosting after Photobucket became a pay service.

It's REALLY easy here to just upload your photo right into the post.  Use the "Drag files her to attach" option below, while you're posting, then click the "+" to add them to your post wherever your cursor is in the post at that time.

It's actually much easier than upload to a site like photobucket and copying the link.