JITO

Tsunami SaltX reel

Rate this topic

271 posts in this topic

On 2/25/2019 at 6:47 PM, xjclint said:

If I land a fish in 1-2 minutes, how is the gear undersized? The vr50 is not a freshwater reel. The vsx150 is practically the same size and has less drag than the vr50. A 10k sized reel wouldn't have made the fight any faster because there is only so much pressure you can put on hooks, line, and leaders. I would argue that the vr50 is far better suited than a 706 penn at 25 oz as it has a faster retrieve and better drag.

I've been fly fishing and surf fishing for a while and know a lot about c&r. Landing a fish in 1 minute on a locked drag isn't the issue with mortality (although I'm sure some fish do die due to water temp, immediate predation, etc.). It's photo ops, treble hooks, and bait fishing that take most.

Do us a favor and broaden your  knowledge base and experience before you accuse me or others of contributing to mortality. Either that or just go tuna fishing with your heavy gear.

:clap: :clap:

Just an update on the saltx.  I attended the RI show and spoke with the Bimini Bay rep and has told me the 6000 series is not due out until end of June sometime.  I purchased a Van Staal.  Sorry Bimini Bay but couldn't wait any longer.  Maybe another time.

2 hours ago, dkthompson said:

Just an update on the saltx.  I attended the RI show and spoke with the Bimini Bay rep and has told me the 6000 series is not due out until end of June sometime.  I purchased a Van Staal.  Sorry Bimini Bay but couldn't wait any longer.  Maybe another time.

Did he say anything about the 4000? As long as it’s here before the Albie run, I will pick one up. 

Same timeline based on my conversation at the ri show.

Overall, the reels looked pretty good and had a few nice design features (big drag washers for one). That being said, the 4000 is nearly 15oz according to the rep though which is far too high for me. I'll stick with my vr50.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/13/2019 at 6:49 PM, shark lobster said:

The 4k saltx would not be a canal reel 

remember back in the day the rods were glass line was mono and the reel had 15 lbs of drag at best! Fish were landed without issue !

You mean something like this rod and reel w/10# mono, that was about 1970 first run of weakfish that can back after who knows how long over 20 years, Bklyn NY SeaGate Nortons Point, once the weakfish can back they went to 15# that was a great fishing spot.

Jetty about the middle of the 2nd picture.

Jetty is underwater on high tide, night fishing spot.

DSC02903.JPG

11939394724_d097da89ce_b.jpg

Edited by LB

Any updates on this reel? Not interested in the reel without a bailess kit but still curious to hear what folks have to say. 

Just now, jsbergen said:

Any updates on this reel? Not interested in the reel without a bailess kit but still curious to hear what folks have to say. 

Both will come with a bailless kit but the 4000 isn't available until June at the earliest as far as I understand. Still too heavy for me at 15oz. Got a daiwa that is the same size that weighs 7 oz.

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 mins ago, xjclint said:

Both will come with a bailless kit but the 4000 isn't available until June at the earliest as far as I understand. Still too heavy for me at 15oz. Got a daiwa that is the same size that weighs 7 oz.

Did you get a ballistic?  Oh...I don't think the 4000 goes bailless.

Edited by ljschroe

8 mins ago, ljschroe said:

Did you get a ballistic?  Oh...I don't think the 4000 goes bailless.

Yeah got a 3000 that has about 80 fish on it so far. Roller bearing didn't love getting wet but otherwise it's great.

2 hours ago, xjclint said:

Are you sure about the bailess kits on these? I spoke to guy at TackleDirect and he said no bailess kits are included. 

Just now, jsbergen said:

Are you sure about the bailess kits on these? I spoke to guy at TackleDirect and he said no bailess kits are included. 

That's what tsunami said at the ri show. Maybe they ran into production issues.

2 hours ago, xjclint said:

Yeah got a 3000 that has about 80 fish on it so far. Roller bearing didn't love getting wet but otherwise it's great.

Roller bearing in bail ?

Thanx

1 min ago, snapper1 said:

Do you suggest preventive care other than proper lube and grease ?

I coated it with some fairly think grease and it still got rough and needed a cleaning a few times. I don't think there is any reel out there at this price range that won't need a new bearing each year or two. My vr50 has the same problem. Maybe the saltx will do it.