JITO

Tsunami SaltX reel

Rate this topic

259 posts in this topic

Lighter is better for what? Fishing and casting of the beach. On a boat ok sure. But I don’t think a vr50 balances any 9’ rod. Not to anyone that I know anyway. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 mins ago, hydraman said:

Vr50 is not a striper reel. School stripers  possibly. Guys need to start doing some pushups if they need to be fishing vr50 for striper. 

Craig put a 48lb on it and I have a handful of 30s on it. No issues at all.

I'd argue that anything bigger than 15 oz is too big for stripers (excluding the canal).

This fish is from Feb last year and 39". First of many big fish landed in no time at all on a 9' and vr50.

8E0F62C9-7D17-4A56-A4DD-8876241F0D46.jpeg

Edited by xjclint

Ok but how long does a fish like that take to reel in. Your obviously taking these fish home. Any reel can bring a big bass in. Are you releasing if not ok nice enjoy the fight with the kids gear. But if you are releasing these fish they are most likely crab food in my eyes. Guys don’t get that a big bass most likely won’t survive a prolonged fight. 

15 mins ago, xjclint said:

Craig put a 48lb on it and I have a handful of 30s on it. No issues at all.

I'd argue that anything bigger than 15 oz is too big for stripers (excluding the canal).

This fish is from Feb last year and 39". First of many big fish landed in no time at all on a 9' and vr50.

8E0F62C9-7D17-4A56-A4DD-8876241F0D46.jpeg

5 mins ago, hydraman said:

Ok but how long does a fish like that take to reel in. Your obviously taking these fish home. Any reel can bring a big bass in. Are you releasing if not ok nice enjoy the fight with the kids gear. But if you are releasing these fish they are most likely crab food in my eyes. Guys don’t get that a big bass most likely won’t survive a prolonged fight. 

I haven't kept a bass in 15 years. It takes 1-2 minutes to reel these fish in. They all swam off fine.

Landing a big fish is about rod power and a tight drag. This combo does both with ease.

You might want to read a little bit before assuming the worst.

Posted (edited) · Report post

47 mins ago, hydraman said:

Lighter is better for what? Fishing and casting of the beach. On a boat ok sure. But I don’t think a vr50 balances any 9’ rod. Not to anyone that I know anyway. 

Don't know about others but a "lightweight" setup means less than 16oz to me. I got my VR50 on a Daiwa Labrax AGS 10'-6" for a total weight of 15oz. It allows me to feel my jig, cast better, more fish control and most of all, less stress on my arms/shoulders so I can do 8hrs non-stop fishing.

Edited by StripedBasstardz

1 hour ago, hydraman said:

How balanced is your setup with a plug on the other end? 

I don’t know man 10’6’’ rod with a reel that small is not for stripers. And can’t fathom a reel that small is ballanced on a 10’6’’. 

1 hour ago, xjclint said:

I haven't kept a bass in 15 years. It takes 1-2 minutes to reel these fish in. They all swam off fine.

Landing a big fish is about rod power and a tight drag. This combo does both with ease.

You might want to read a little bit before assuming the worst.

Listen I’m not assuming the worst I just know you can’t put the pressure you truly need on a 30 lb fish with reel not meant to do that. You guys fishing for big fish with fresh water bass gear should rethink what your doing.  I don’t know if you’ve been paying attention but stripers are in trouble. And a big reason is dudes with undersized gear in my opinion. I know what landing big fish is about and you might release all your fish but don’t mean your using proper gear for doing this type of fishing. Your not and fish will die when you don’t do it right. I don’t need to see pictures and hear your fish swam of fine. If they sank to the bottom after a min ain’t no better than you keeping the fish. Your better off enjoying the meat. 

I feel the Vr50 is not suitable on a 9ft rod for bass or blues. I gave it a try and thought  it was a tad to small. I love it in my 8ft rod though  and use it for everything I can target even had a 30+lbs bat ray as the ultimate  test on my 8fter.

31 mins ago, hydraman said:

I don’t know man 10’6’’ rod with a reel that small is not for stripers. And can’t fathom a reel that small is ballanced on a 10’6’’. 

Listen I’m not assuming the worst I just know you can’t put the pressure you truly need on a 30 lb fish with reel not meant to do that. You guys fishing for big fish with fresh water bass gear should rethink what your doing.  I don’t know if you’ve been paying attention but stripers are in trouble. And a big reason is dudes with undersized gear in my opinion. I know what landing big fish is about and you might release all your fish but don’t mean your using proper gear for doing this type of fishing. Your not and fish will die when you don’t do it right. I don’t need to see pictures and hear your fish swam of fine. If they sank to the bottom after a min ain’t no better than you keeping the fish. Your better off enjoying the meat. 

If I land a fish in 1-2 minutes, how is the gear undersized? The vr50 is not a freshwater reel. The vsx150 is practically the same size and has less drag than the vr50. A 10k sized reel wouldn't have made the fight any faster because there is only so much pressure you can put on hooks, line, and leaders. I would argue that the vr50 is far better suited than a 706 penn at 25 oz as it has a faster retrieve and better drag.

I've been fly fishing and surf fishing for a while and know a lot about c&r. Landing a fish in 1 minute on a locked drag isn't the issue with mortality (although I'm sure some fish do die due to water temp, immediate predation, etc.). It's photo ops, treble hooks, and bait fishing that take most.

Do us a favor and broaden your  knowledge base and experience before you accuse me or others of contributing to mortality. Either that or just go tuna fishing with your heavy gear.

36 mins ago, xjclint said:

If I land a fish in 1-2 minutes, how is the gear undersized? The vr50 is not a freshwater reel. The vsx150 is practically the same size and has less drag than the vr50. A 10k sized reel wouldn't have made the fight any faster because there is only so much pressure you can put on hooks, line, and leaders. I would argue that the vr50 is far better suited than a 706 penn at 25 oz as it has a faster retrieve and better drag.

I've been fly fishing and surf fishing for a while and know a lot about c&r. Landing a fish in 1 minute on a locked drag isn't the issue with mortality (although I'm sure some fish do die due to water temp, immediate predation, etc.). It's photo ops, treble hooks, and bait fishing that take most.

Do us a favor and broaden your  knowledge base and experience before you accuse me or others of contributing to mortality. Either that or just go tuna fishing with your heavy gear.

Dude 1-2 minutes is way too long you should have that fish in in under 30 seconds or it’s gonna die 

1 hour ago, hydraman said:

It doesn’t need to be balanced. Balance doesn’t mean a thing when working a lure or fighting a fish. 

2 mins ago, nateD said:

Dude 1-2 minutes is way too long you should have that fish in in under 30 seconds or it’s gonna die 

Haha I'll bring a stop watch next time and video tape the entire fight. 

9 mins ago, nateD said:

It doesn’t need to be balanced. Balance doesn’t mean a thing when working a lure or fighting a fish. 

8 mins ago, xjclint said:

Haha I'll bring a stop watch next time and video tape the entire fight. 

Listen you boys enjoy your Little reels. That to me is an albie reel at best. It seems you got it figured out. You’ve been surf fishing 15 years and you think this is proper bass gear go for it.