JITO

Tsunami SaltX reel

Rate this topic

256 posts in this topic

5 mins ago, striperswiper06437 said:

Yeah no thanks....not easy to do in my opinion and experience. 

A few years ago I figured ide try it with a Penn Ssv 6500 bls and started to get very used to it considering it was hard for me to find a lefty bailess.... after a week I got used to it it's as natural as it comes now....

3 mins ago, Fishy4335 said:

A few years ago I figured ide try it with a Penn Ssv 6500 bls and started to get very used to it considering it was hard for me to find a lefty bailess.... after a week I got used to it it's as natural as it comes now....

I'll stick w my VS and ZB lefty models for now...... 

Very tempted to preorder......just need a little more info. Hoping the 4000 is close to a vs 150 or Shimano 5000....initially I have been eyeing a VR but am starting to second guess that idea 

On 1/7/2019 at 9:59 AM, Evil-Bay said:

I was going to buy a VS150 for $400 used.  Now that this Tsunami reel is coming out which offers as fully sealed, gonna have to think about this one.

Anyone know how the warranty and servicing of this reel is?

I would love to see a tear down of this reel and compare it to the others like VS.

I would still pull the trigger on that deal as long as the VS is in good condition. Tried and true track record against something brand new.

That said I am also gonna give the SaltX a try. Tsunami is an excellent company and I know they will stand behind their product as there are bound to be some flaws found in the beginning of the SaltX’s life. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, DaveBKNY said:

I would still pull the trigger on that deal as long as the VS is in good condition. Tried and true track record against something brand new.

That said I am also gonna give the SaltX a try. Tsunami is an excellent company and I know they will stand behind their product as there are bound to be some flaws found in the beginning of the SaltX’s life. 

I can tell you that the reels will be different. I have a Shield 5000.  I watched the Joe O video and the size in the 6000 is concurrent with the Tsunami sizing trend.  There currently is no bailless kit for the 4000, that I know of.  The bailless kit I run on my 5000 requires that I extend my finger further and higher, since the spool is narrower and taller (as is the carriage).

My VS150 is more compact, and more squat, making it a good bit easier and more intuitive to manage the line.

I freaking love my Shield and I have absolutely pounded it to death without it skipping a beat.  BUT it is not the same reel and doesn't handle the same way.  Just an FYI.

There's a good chance I pick one up too, in the 4000 size. 

ALSO, asked Joe the weight on the 6000.  He responded with 19.3 ounces, filled.  That is a bit of a load.

Edited by ljschroe

Just now, CoffeeHangover said:

Any news on the bail?  One thing I don't like about the Shields is how mushy the bail feels when it's fully opened, as compared to a shimano or a vs that has a nice click.

Listen in on Joe O's videos...you can hear it snap like a thick aluminum Penn.  He mentions how fat it is at some point.

new video posted a couple hours ago...

6 mins ago, ljschroe said:

Listen in on Joe O's videos...you can hear it snap like a thick aluminum Penn.  He mentions how fat it is at some point.

new video posted a couple hours ago...

man that is a really meaty thunk it makes.  Line lay looks really nice too.

22 mins ago, CoffeeHangover said:

agreed...i need a weight on the 4000

1 hour ago, CoffeeHangover said:

Wow! I just watched his 77 hour video, and you aren't kidding.  That bail sounds like a bank vault. 

I really, really want one of these in the 4000 size

46 mins ago, ljschroe said:

agreed...i need a weight on the 4000

Yes....40 pounds of drag? Is that legit...looking at a 9.5 ft rod and between a vr150 or this salt x in 4000

I know I'm not the only one seeing the massive mistake Tsunami made on this new reel. This reel was designed for the surf casting market and it's already OBSOLETE to the masses.  

- No bailless kit/option? This is the deal braker for the thousands of guys fishing bailess.  

- The 6000 weighs 19.3.  Another deal braker for alot of guys. 

38 mins ago, Plugger207 said:

Yes....40 pounds of drag? Is that legit...looking at a 9.5 ft rod and between a vr150 or this salt x in 4000

You will like the VR150 as it combos with the 9'6 rod nicely as well as the 9ft rods, which you will have many more options to choose.  I have a vr150 on a 9ft ODM and love it. The VR is smooth for a sealed reel and offers the bailess kit option.