why at night?

Rate this topic

mikematt

Bass can see in the darkest night like we can during the day. Baitfish can't. Its as simple as that. Bass do not have speed or teeth to help them. THey have 2 main assets at their disposal. Night vision and incredible stability in rough surf and currents. Not to say if enough bass ambushed enough bait they would not get a meal out of it and in the fall that happens alot, but generally speaking bass have a much easier time when its dark.

Mikematt, bass, as Dan stated, have the upper hand at night over the baitfish for one thing. It's not just sight however, but all their senses are tuned to be night feeders. They'll find a 2" long thin black teaser in 6 foot seas in pitch "can't see yer hand in front of yer face" dark.

The other thing is they'll come into the shallows more confidently during the quiet dark hours...they like the cover that darkness provides them. They might be around during the daytime but they'll often only take bait...and then only sometimes. In the dark they are much easier to fool and/or more aggressive...and in larger numbers near shore.

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Yeah, better predators, but also less likely to be prey. Same reason why at night you see more deer, raccoons, skunks,...I bet if you made a study of it, more animals are active at night than day. We tend to have a anthropocentric (had to look that word up) view of the world.

No more skunks. Maybe you didn't hear about it, you been gone a long time. 

It's just a matter of where you are at the right time. Especially during this time of fall fishing.

Dead low tide. Sun high in the sky. Standing on a rock enjoying the cool air and whammo. No more than 25 feet in front of me,

my purple and black bomber produces a 55 pounder.

Who's to figure?

Ah yes I remember it well. November 22nd, 1992. I had to store it at a Foodtown because I was leaving for Michigan the next day. And, I wanted it mounted when I came back from Michigan.

Since then I've caught 20's, 30's and 40's but the 50 was 1 in 8 years.

I'm sure you were hoping it was this fall. Not Yet. But, I don't fish nightime, because of certain responsiblities, I fish daytime, and I've only been skunked about three times this Fall. I have caught many BASS ranging up to 25 pounds this year during sunlit hours. I plug South of the FLING.

This may seem strange but, I drive thru the Pine barrens to get to LBI (all of my fishing is done there. It seems that if i see a lot of Deer on the side of the road or out in the fields on my way down I catch fish. No deer No fish - go figure

Jettyman,

This is evidence for those peak fishing times calculations based on sun and moon cycles. I think it has some merrit. If you have bird feeders, you'll note that they are often either crowded or empty- especially in winter. Do all critters share peak time- maybe. Someone could add bird feeder activity to their fishing log.

No more skunks. Maybe you didn't hear about it, you been gone a long time. 

It seems the only way I'll ever get a 40lber in the surf is to bonk the guy on the head that caught it then run off with his fish. I feel much more comfortable doing this under the cover of darkness. smile.gif

Ponderous just Ponderous biggrin.gif Squidly, you're too much.

"You can't fish anymore if you're Dead" Arby SOL # 304

Berkeley Striper Club
Seaside Park, NJ

The reason why bass fishing is so challenging is because you might never figure outwhen they will be feeding. Stripers by nature are nocturnal feeders and those fishing in the dark of night will generally do better than those fishing during daylight hours. There are exceptions however in the early spring after the fish migrate they need to put on the feed bag and during this time will be very active during daylight hours.The same can be said when the fish are going home. Once the fish get to their destination,they tend to feed more at night,but as always we do have exceptions to the rule. This is why Striped bass fishing has many ways to catch them as there are fishers fishing for them. I still prefer the morning hours from 300 to daybreak,the water is generally serene and the bass come into the shallow areas and will take a multitude of baits and lures.Angler

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal