Star Stellar Surf

Rate this topic

jkorgood

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a light tackle rod for schoolies and albies to pair with the daiwa bg 3000 I'm getting. I've pretty much chosen on the star stellar surf 7'6 (I think that's a good choice), and I have the option to get either the 7'6 one piece or 7'6 two piece for $55. I'm trying to decide whether it'd be smarter to get the one piece or two piece and would like some suggestions on which one to get. And for anyone who owns either (or both rods)-what would you say the true lure weight rating would be? I have a feeling they're gonna be a bit different between the two rods, and just want to get the honest ratings from you guys. thanks again.

I have the exact rod your looking at. Sg816ISL. 7’6 1/4-3/4 it’s pribably my favorite rod I have and it was the cheapest. I have a clash 3000 on it and have caught so many stripers to 23/24 inches on it, it’s an absolute blast. I’ve thrown 1 1/2 oz lures with it comfortably. Sometimes I drop down to an ultegra 2500 when I want an even lighter setup. 

I would get the 1pc. It’s on a 7’6 long rod. And for what your targeting id stick with the lighter rating. Like I said, mine is rated 1/4-3/4 and I can throw over an 1oz no problem. I was throwing 1 1/4oz diamond jigs for blues last year. Think the biggest I caught on that rod was up to 8lbs

The stellar SURF 7'6" one piece is rated 3/8 - 2 . It's a great rod I've thrown from 1/4 to 1 ounce I would say over 1 1/4 is pushing it. I have mine paired with a conflict 2 3000. I believe Mike has a stellar lite which sounds like does the same for him even though its rated differently. 

I would always buy a one piece rod unless transporting it is an issue. 

I would get the 1 piece as it has greater weight range for casting.  I have the 8ft 1 piece Stellar SURF rod with a BG3000 and it is a nice setup for bay and light surf.  It has easily thrown 2 oz for me which is the highest I throw for light surf and handles 1/2 oz in the bay well.

• 5 months later...

BUMP

Its winter and I am not fishing today.   

OK, so for those who have used them, how does the 8' star stellar surf (MH 3/4-2) compare to the 7'6" version (med 1/2- 1 1/2) ?

Do they both throw their ranges well?  Does one do something particularly better than the other?  

I have the 8’ Stellar Lite 1/2-3 oz, and absolutely love the rod for early/late season fish. This rod easily handles larger fish, and I have caught fish up to 25#’s on it. It throws its range very well, but feel it tops out at 2 1/2. I don’t think you can find a more quality and capable rod at it’s pricepoint anywhere.

Depends somewhat on the vehicle you drive, I can lock a 7' in my truck, but not a 7'6".

Edited by cheech

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

I own both and love them. They throw their ranges fine. I’d say  the 7’6” is more comfortable on the lower end of it’s range and the 8’ likes more weight. It feels too stiff with some lighter offerings. They are two different blanks, the 7’6” is much lighter action, not simply the 8’ with the butt cut down....

I use the 7’6” with a little 10oz Okuma Ceymar reel and fish the hell out of it in the spring. The rod and reel combined cost around $100 and it blows me away how good they are. It also is my surf fluke rod of choice in summer with a light bucktail and teaser. My 8’ has a BG4000 on it which matches nicely, though you could go a little bigger but I wouldn’t go much. I use that setup for jetties since I like the stiffness in current.

3 hours ago, Mack26 said:

I have the 8’ Stellar Lite 1/2-3 oz, and absolutely love the rod for early/late season fish. This rod easily handles larger fish, and I have caught fish up to 25#’s on it. It throws its range very well, but feel it tops out at 2 1/2. I don’t think you can find a more quality and capable rod at it’s pricepoint anywhere.

I have it as well with a 4k BG...love that rod...does everything from schoolies to scup from shore to seabass and tog out of a boat. 

also a great set up for when a kid is tagging along. 

53 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

I have it as well with a 4k BG...love that rod...does everything from schoolies to scup from shore to seabass and tog out of a boat. 

also a great set up for when a kid is tagging along. 

Totally agree HD, i bounce between the 4k BG and a Shimano Nasci 5000 and its just a perfect combo.

My 13 yr old daughter says shes tagging along on some trips this year, so it will be the perfect outfit for her.

The backbone that rod has is impressive. And, its a nice looking rod too!