Shark fishing jersey beaches, for Okies....

Rate this topic

Ben Lippen

So my neighbors/friends live in Philly mostly but own the house next door and use it in the summers and weekends. Their two sons live in Oklahoma and come back every summer for vacation. They have three boys and one girl among them, and I've always ben the "summer guide" for fishing, crabbing, seining and such.  The boys are getting into their teens now and really wanna branch out, so I proposed to them a shark fishing overnight trip over at IBSP.

The kids are thrilled, and I'm sure I can handle the job. But I figured I would ask here for any tips, pointers, helpful stuff that my fellow surf rats might have.

I've ben fishing the surf for 40+ years, but have never shark fished. Heck, I never even bait fish. I know that I have to get rigs and lead and such, which I have no issue buying from my local B&T's over there, along with bait. My gear for this trip would be, one 10' Lami, one 8' 6" Lami, and two 8' Tica rods. All plug rods, but I believe they will suffice unless I need to throw 8 & bait. 

Having never yet fully switched over to braid,  yeah I'm a dinosaur,  all but one of my spools is still filled with mono. I'm wondering if braid would be better, or would it be a waste of money should it come to a run-off spooling situation with a cow nosed ray. I know that they are back around already.

I will also be bringing a few smaller rods rigged for fluking and such. Bucktails and metals.

So, any and all helpful comments are appreciated. Thanks muchly.

Hire a land based shark fishing guide. There’s a few out there now in NJ. 3 inexperienced guys shouldn’t deal with a shark on land, you need some first hand experience at least once or twice. Edit: when I say inexperienced I mean with sharks, they are just a big fish, but they’re the most dangerous big fish to handle

Edited by HighEndHooker

2 hours ago, HighEndHooker said:

Hire a guide. Unless your already comfortable with getting waist deep in the water with an angry shark that will be very unhappy to see you

Stop it, it's not rocket science. Beefed up gear, wire leader, good dehooker and common sense is all you need. A guide lol

16 mins ago, IsmailG said:

Stop it, it's not rocket science. Beefed up gear, wire leader, good dehooker and common sense is all you need. A guide lol

Good luck lol. Hope hes got all the right gear (which he doesn’t, an 8’ tica plugging rod is not gonna cut it) and landing gear aside from tackle, and can keep his landing to release down to under a minute. The last thing the guys who really shark fish need, is a dead federally protected shark washing up in seaside heights. I hire a guide when I go Tarpon fishing because I don’t know them enough to get them myself. It’s not a blow to your monstrous ego, it’s a learning experience

Edited by HighEndHooker

4 mins ago, HighEndHooker said:

Good luck lol. Hope hes got all the right gear aside from tackle, and can keep his landing to release down to under a minute. The last thing the guys who really shark fish need, is a dead federally protected shark washing up in seaside heights. I hire a guide when I go Tarpon fishing because I don’t know them enough to get them myself. It’s not a blow to your monstrous ego, it’s a learning experience

I never shark fished from the beach in my life until last year and didn't have a problem landing and releasing one unharmed, heavy gear and common sense, only an idiot can't understand that. The best part of fishing is figuring it out on your own, guides are the easy way out.

I know highend is not trying to be a dick but he has a good point.   If you even hook into something on an 8’ tics you will be toast.  

Most people fish 11+’. Plus you need to catch fish and use them as big baits to catch big fish.   

Hire a guide it will be worth it. 

Wow, a thread that recommends getting a guide with experience catching sharks to help a new-comer out! Amazing, first time I have ever come across that ....great recommendation guys!!!

If not a guide, at least see what you can do about budding up with someone who has captured and released sharks before. Going out into the big blue yonder without being armed with solid knowledge, or the "full package approach" to shark fishing can result in disaster, either to you, someone else or (most likely) the shark....becasue it's not ALL about us fishermen having fun and hooking up but about the sharks, too----getting them safely back into the water without tons of line and big weights hanging out of their mouths or gut hooked or half dead and mangled up....all caused by lack of experience. 

Lot of times here in Florida I see new-comers go out, get hooked up to a nice shark and then snap their head from side to side, yelling to anyone around, "NOW WHAT????"

1 hour ago, mako capt said:

Grab a couple of rods and go have fun.  Use some common sense.  Its not rocket science.......its soaking bait while you wait.

Yupyup, Capt.

All I asked for was some friendly advice/pointers, as in rigs or mackerel vs. bunker.  I didn't need a lecture on fishing or etiquette or safety. Nobody here is more aware or conscientious of the regs. and the need to care for the game that we go for. Let alone that I would put anyone in harms way.

I do regret that I left out the fact that the smaller gear I mentioned was for stripers/blues/fluke... 

I'm not offended by any of the responses. But saddened by how this site has fallen so far from what it once was. 

Oh yeah, and Sparky made me laugh as usual. :th: 

"See" ya's on the beach some night maybe.

Ben