Plug Restoration

Rate this topic

IslandSurf

I recently came across alot of vintage wooden plugs that were completley destroyed...Gonna slowly restore all of them ...Master Lure,Pt Jude Clipper,Creek Chub stuff,Cordell,Rebels,Wood Atoms. IM gonna post pics here.This was a destroyed very early creek chub pikie

Resanded,Sealed,new everything same lip my paint.Gonna put my spin on each one it would be nice to see these see water again instead of the garbage can they were headed for.

20180610_145431.jpg

20180628_191421.jpg

SW

On 6/29/2018 at 7:33 AM, IslandSurf said:

I recently came across alot of vintage wooden plugs that were completley destroyed...Gonna slowly restore all of them ...Master Lure,Pt Jude Clipper,Creek Chub stuff,Cordell,Rebels,Wood Atoms. IM gonna post pics here.This was a destroyed very early creek chub pikie

Resanded,Sealed,new everything same lip my paint.Gonna put my spin on each one it would be nice to see these see water again instead of the garbage can they were headed for.

20180610_145431.jpg

20180628_191421.jpg

Like your paint, find some Pfluger mustang 5" Bought a bunch over the winter beat you and good ones, turned them into a two hook plug removed chrome plates from top & bottom  of plug moved front hook back about 1/4. 

These plugs will work better then any thing l have in fast moving water, and will can stay right on the top like a surfs plug. Black and yellow was done paint OEM l just moved the front hook and added a single tail hook.

DSC04320.JPG

On 6/29/2018 at 7:33 AM, IslandSurf said:

20180610_145431.jpg

20180628_191421.jpg

Great job, nice colors.

23 hours ago, LB said:

Like your paint, find some Pfluger mustang 5" Bought a bunch over the winter beat you and good ones, turned them into a two hook plug removed chrome plates from top & bottom  of plug moved front hook back about 1/4. 

These plugs will work better then any thing l have in fast moving water, and will can stay right on the top like a surfs plug. Black and yellow was done paint OEM l just moved the front hook and added a single tail hook.

DSC04320.JPG

I have a couple of never fished Mustangs.  One is a black and yellow just like the one you show.  The other is blue over white like the one to the right of the black over yellow. I think I'll put them to use now.

12 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

Looks awesome. About to try restoring a plug for the first time. Any pointers?

It depends on how bad the plug body is...i had to spin this one on the lathe to take out dents and chips in the wood...then putty it in some spots.You dont want to sand it to hard to change the body

Edited by IslandSurf

SW