Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billybob

Who snores ?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

At least for me, an easy and simple fix to combat a loud snorer is to get a half dozen or so pairs of soft earplugs, then place them in strategic spots (i.e. next to bed, in car, with camping equipment, etc.) so they'll always be available. Both my girlfriend and I snore and neither have been banished to the "spare room".

Yea, I tried the earplug idea and my wife doesn't want any part of it.

You guys don't know, she's evil cwm8.gif

I do enjoy a cold one, and I suppose I could stand to drop a few lbs.

I gotta do something though,

I found a can of this stuff in the nightstand.

It can't be good biggrin.gif

163774_4.jpg

get the test

you can die from apnea

if you end up on a CPAP machine, your quality of life will improve dramatically because you will be less tired all the time, your wife will be less tired from being kept awake...you will also be able to sleep on your back again

surgery does not work for everybody, and can have some serious downsides in some people

if you end up with a CPAP or BIPAP machine, do your homework as to which type, and make sure the headgear is okay...there is still some real crap in the market because it is a fairly new item

don't be put off by the need to use a machine...once you accept the idea of it, the reality of it is fine....and you will sleep much better

I used to snore VERY VERY LOUDLY AND VERY VERY OFTEN through the night. Used to. Had surgery to open my nasal passasges and sinuses. That helped a lot. Then had the second stage surgery to trim my uvula and shrink the base of my tounge. Now I still snore, a little, but NOTHING like before. It's six month since the second surgery so I'm going in for another apnea test to see if that's improved. I don't think the surgery totally cured the apnea, but I sleep far better than I did in the past.

My beau has sleep apnea (sp?) and has to sleep with a machine that continuously blows oxygen (which he would not use for the first six months we were dating - and the snoring was almost a deal-breaker).

It's kind of cool though - like sleeping with Darth Vadar. cwm8.gif

Sleep apnea is probably nothing to mess with - get it checked out. HappyWave.gif And....My the force be with you.

I snore only when I'm really tired-so I'm told. Same with the wife.

Went on a bear hunt in Maine 2 years ago. Was bunked up with 2 other guys in our cabin. One of them told us straight up the first day he had sleeping disorders and was going to participate in a sleep study. The first night he was snoring so loudly pieces of furniture in the cabin were vibrating-I'm not kidding. It was just like sitting in a car with the radio turned way up, and the bass shaking everything.

Luckily, I always take earplugs with me on all hunting and camping trips for just such an occasion.

I have had 2 sleep studies--

net result is that with a nose spray and decongestant to control my allergies, if I sleep on my or my stomach, I do not have apnea. However on my back, I have a moderate case.

If your partner says you stop snoring and start abruptly, or make gurgling sounds you should probably get the test.

Excersise, keeping weight down, and avoiding alchohol also are big helps (supposedly wink.gif ) .

I snored so bad that I slept in my son's room (I'd carry him to his mother's room after he feel asleep) for close to 2 years.

After a while it finally caught up with me to the point that I felt tired 90% of the time.

Had a sleep apnea test in April (finally decided to do it after reading about Reggie White). Lo and behold the test confiremd I had sleep apnea and had 400 episodes in 1 night where I stopped breathing for 30 seconds or longer.

To make a long story short, I knew at that time I was severely overweight & that was more than likely the cause of the apnea. I had gastric bypass surgey on June 21, 2005. Within a few weeks after the surgery I no longer snored and slept better than I had in a very long long time.

I've dropped from 335 pounds to 250 (goal is 200-210). I went from a tight 48 inch waistline to a comfortable 38. Also completely off both blood pressure medications (also caused by the apena).

I snore and leeping on my side or stomach helps a lot. I also keep a small fan going on the floor next to the bed to help drown out snoring and other annoying noises. I now can't sleep without the fan, a little "white" noise I think they call it.

Be careful with those earplugs, you still need to be able to hear the smoke detectors, children, pets or God forbid, intruders.

Be careful with those earplugs, you still need to be able to hear the smoke detectors, children, pets or God forbid, intruders.

.....and if you space out and put them in your nose by mistake, you can't smell it when the corned beef and cabbage starts to burn!

I used to snore VERY VERY LOUDLY AND VERY VERY OFTEN through the night. Used to. Had surgery to open my nasal passasges and sinuses. That helped a lot. Then had the second stage surgery to trim my uvula and shrink the base of my tounge. Now I still snore, a little, but NOTHING like before.

I snore a lot and went and saw the doctor and he said I had a deviated septum and said surgery would help out a lot. The doctor said I would need to stay home a week so as not to open things up. My minister said he had surgery done and was in a lot of pain afterwards. He said it wasn't worth it. However he had it done 20 years ago.

Were you in a lot of pain afterwards?

Billybob, if you live in the New York metropolitan area and your insurance covers it, go to the Columbia Presbyterian Sleep Disorder Center in Manhattan. They'll set you up with an overnight stay in a separate facility that looks just like a hotel room, although it's right in the middle of the hospital. You're wired up and monitored for the night. The CPAP machine is probably the best way to go. I've had one for more than five years and it's made a world of difference.

Good for you, Skolmann. Congratulations for taking the plunge on the gastric surgery.

I'm sure life is a lot better in so many different ways now you've had the surgery. Glad to hear things went well.